• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

I have also been away from egullet for a while- for a few reasons... Anyway, I wish you all an amazing weekend. Every year I say "Next year in the candy conference". I hope it won't take 2000 years to realize my desire!

I hope not either! We've missed you and rejoiced in seeing your return! Next year, OK?

remember last year when we were talking about molds or pieces of equipment, favorite spatula etc with each other? and we thought "huh, we should try to do an eG farmers market of equipment next year...." so, didn't know if we still thought we'd try to do something like that?

very casual, but bringing molds you don't use anymore or the size isn't right for you etc (hobby or commercial grade) and maybe you have a ton of transfer sheets and you don't like one particular style anymore, infared (sp?) thermometer or tempering unit you don't use anymore.....anyway, didn't know if that was of interest to anyone? cookbooks are like my novels, and used equipment or molds is more exciting to me than going clothes shopping...yes...for real ;) we could do a swap/market during social hour/night or over lunch in between sessions..

and on that note, does anyone know of a good site to get a tempering machine from? i normally temper by hand with the seed method with 2 smaller and 1 lg mol d' art, but was looking at a machine to speed production time to use in addition to us tempering by hand....was hoping for a machine to do at least 10 lbs of chocolate minimum...larger would be considered too ;) i saw a choco TT, a semi automatic temperer...looked cool, but open to anything, or if anyone has one they want to sell, i'd be great with that too!

let me know what ya'll think!

remember last year when we were talking about molds or pieces of equipment, favorite spatula etc with each other? and we thought "huh, we should try to do an eG farmers market of equipment next year...." so, didn't know if we still thought we'd try to do something like that?

very casual, but bringing molds you don't use anymore or the size isn't right for you etc (hobby or commercial grade) and maybe you have a ton of transfer sheets and you don't like one particular style anymore, infared (sp?) thermometer or tempering unit you don't use anymore.....anyway, didn't know if that was of interest to anyone? cookbooks are like my novels, and used equipment or molds is more exciting to me than going clothes shopping...yes...for real ;) we could do a swap/market during social hour/night or over lunch in between sessions..

and on that note, does anyone know of a good site to get a tempering machine from? i normally temper by hand with the seed method with 2 smaller and 1 lg mol d' art, but was looking at a machine to speed production time to use in addition to us tempering by hand....was hoping for a machine to do at least 10 lbs of chocolate minimum...larger would be considered too ;) i saw a choco TT, a semi automatic temperer...looked cool, but open to anything, or if anyone has one they want to sell, i'd be great with that too!

Erika, check out Perfect Equipments in Quebec. Their units attach to enrobers as well.

Erika, I really like the idea of a swap/market. Will bring the moulds that I am not using. Hope that others participate and that I can pick up some transfer sheets!

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1 (+1 states she is coming with or without him!)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

David J

ArtMills + Wilma Mills + 2

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one +1

chocoera

mkayhara +1

Rob K

Sue Casey

DianaM

Gene

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

psantucci

ElsieD

It all begins one week from today. Just an update or two. I'm still working with Larry from Landies Candies in Buffalo for a tour and a Q&A session. We're hoping to do that for the morning hour(s); then lunch and after lunch a trip and time well spent with Brian at Tomric. Brian is going to do a demo on panning and we hope to break out the Selmi and do some enrobing and demo how you can decorate enrobed pieces - if anyone wants to bring any of their pieces to enrobe on the Selmi at Tomric, Brian is all for that -

Then, it's back to Canada for dinner and sharing - Let the fun begin...

Landies Candies is at 2495 Main Street, Suite 350, Buffalo, NY 14214 - The man I've been working with is Larry.

I've also chatted with Brian at Tomric, they are expecting us around 1:30 in the afternoon. Brian is going to demo panning and the use of the Selmi enrober. There will also be an opportunity to purchase items from Tomric while we are there.

Brian suggested the Anchor for lunch, which is evidently between Landies and Tomric.

If everyone is agreeable to that plan, I can call and ask them to save us a table, set aside for the eGullet Chocolate Conference.

This trip sounds like it is going to be a great weekend and good followship. I grew up in Western NY and am aware of all the places you refer to in the Western NY area. Unfortunate for me I no longer live there to participate in this event. I wish something like this would be happening in the NC area!! Sounds wonderful!

Landies Candies is at 2495 Main Street, Suite 350, Buffalo, NY 14214 - The man I've been working with is Larry.

I've also chatted with Brian at Tomric, they are expecting us around 1:30 in the afternoon. Brian is going to demo panning and the use of the Selmi enrober. There will also be an opportunity to purchase items from Tomric while we are there.

Brian suggested the Anchor for lunch, which is evidently between Landies and Tomric.

If everyone is agreeable to that plan, I can call and ask them to save us a table, set aside for the eGullet Chocolate Conference.

Sounds good to me too.

This trip sounds like it is going to be a great weekend and good followship. I grew up in Western NY and am aware of all the places you refer to in the Western NY area. Unfortunate for me I no longer live there to participate in this event. I wish something like this would be happening in the NC area!! Sounds wonderful!

Indeed - you are welcome to come.

Don't tempt me like that, Kerry!! Will the rep be joining us?

Nope - she's tied up at a big show in Toronto apparently - so I get the be the 'rep' this time.

It's a big box to carry home in your luggage on a plane! Not to tempt you or anything!

I'm picking up a packaged up TMX to bring - if anyone will want to take a brand new one home.

Too bad I can't join your conference. I'd be tempted to take you up on the Thermomix! Have a great time everyone!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm picking up a packaged up TMX to bring - if anyone will want to take a brand new one home.

Too bad I can't join your conference. I'd be tempted to take you up on the Thermomix! Have a great time everyone!

I can grab one for you if you want when I go there tomorrow to pick them up.

Well the regrets just keep piling up!

Lior writes "next year in the conference" from the holy land, there's going to be a panning demo, Ruth Kendrick (a personal hero) is going to be there, and the dinner and lunch look superb.

Kerry, I'm glad you're bringing a Thermomix. My silver lining is that I won't be tempted to take it home due to not being there.

Sincere best wishes - tinged with envy - to you all. I'll either make some candy in salute this weekend or mope in a corner!

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous