• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

Hi Darienne,

I have a non-booze-related question for you. :raz: Did you mention in an earlier post that you've found a hotel/motel where they accept dogs? If yes, could you please tell me which one? I'm thinking about bringing along my DH and my terrier, if I can find accommodations for us. If not, I'll just come in daily from Milton.

Thanks!

Hi Darienne,

I have a non-booze-related question for you. :raz: Did you mention in an earlier post that you've found a hotel/motel where they accept dogs? If yes, could you please tell me which one? I'm thinking about bringing along my DH and my terrier, if I can find accommodations for us. If not, I'll just come in daily from Milton.

Thanks!

Hi DianaM, Motel 6, Niagara Falls ON, #5701. 5700 Stanley Avenue, 905-356-6696

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Sorry all. After all that planning and questions and those dreams of immersing myself elbow deep in chocolate, it has all come to naught. And I had so looked forward to meeting you all.

Sorry Kerry. Please take my name off the list.

Thanks, Darienne

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1 (+1 states she is coming with or without him!)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one +1

chocoera

mkayhara +1

Rob K

Sue Casey

DianaM

Gene

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

psantucci

ElsieD

Kerry, if it helps the numbers planning any, my wife and I will not be joining the group until dinner Friday (in the current plan). We're going to go see the falls, I think.

Not a problem - enjoy the falls. The view from the Canadian side is the preferred you know!

A salute to Kerry for the organization of this event. Just as a note a good friend of my attended Niagra University and lived there for some years after school. For the entire time he was there he never once failed to say at the conclusion of a letter, a phone call, or a visit, "Next time you are in town, make sure to drop over" He found this to be hilarious.

Thanks Mike - "don't forget to drop over if you are in town!"

Got an e-mail from Chef Storm about our Saturday dinner - sharing it here -

"Dave has been working on your menu and has a few thoughts follows:

A nice antipasto plate, the brewery will make a special batch of beer for you and we can tie this to a nice cheese selection for the dessert instead of having a traditional dessert. After working on chocolate they might appreciate this. We have an amazing selection at our disposal from all over the world."

I think it sounds good - any objections?

I figured I'd make those caramelized onions/bleu cheese tarts I made last time too - they should go nicely with a beer that goes with antipasto I'd think.

Kerry,

Thanks for organizing this! Great to see the plans coming together.

Any idea yet on pricing for Saturday's dinner and for the conference? Also, do you think we might get a discount on purchases at Tomric?

I second that kudo as well. A lot of work, organization and planning to have this conference. Much appreciated Kerry. Thanks

You guys are really making me wish this were going to happen on a weekend when I could come over. I guess I'll have to console myself with the thought that on Wednesday morning after the conference, I'll be arriving in Belgium, where even inexpensive supermarket chocolate is wonderful.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

"Dave has been working on your menu and has a few thoughts follows:

A nice antipasto plate, the brewery will make a special batch of beer for you and we can tie this to a nice cheese selection for the dessert instead of having a traditional dessert. After working on chocolate they might appreciate this. We have an amazing selection at our disposal from all over the world."

I think it sounds good - any objections?

I figured I'd make those caramelized onions/bleu cheese tarts I made last time too - they should go nicely with a beer that goes with antipasto I'd think.

No objections from me, sounds delicious!

Everyone -

Brian is asking what we would like him to demo when are with him on Friday afternoon at Tomric. On eGullet's last visit Brian demonstrated decorating techniques with colors. Brian suggested that he could show us all Panning techniques (but did mention that panning is noisy).

Brian has a Selmi enrobing unit set up in his kitchen. I'm planning on bringing some pieces that I've been working on to ask him to demo the enrober with my centers - he has agreed to do that and to show us some decorating techniques when using an enrober. (then those pieces will be available Friday night at the after dinner)

I understand that there will be an opportunity to view the Tomric catalog and make purchases/place orders.

So, for everyone who's coming, please let us know what you would like to see, learn and experience and I will pass that along to Brian -

Selmi enrobing and panning are good. I would also be interested in learning how to paint/decorate and fill large 3 dimensional molds. If Brian can demo confectionery work too, I am interested in learning how to make sponge toffee or those peanut filled candies (where there are layers of peanut butter & candy).

Just wondering how many samples to bring to the Show and Tell on Friday night? Do we bring for each person, or do we cut and share? How many should we plan on?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Just wondering how many samples to bring to the Show and Tell on Friday night? Do we bring for each person, or do we cut and share? How many should we plan on?

We've always ended up with way, way, way too much. That being said - I bring 20 pieces or so. Not everyone will try everything - it's too much!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I've been absent from this thread for a very long time and wanted wish you all a great weekend. I'm really sorry that I won't be with you this year, but my commitment to my local farmers market just got in the way.

Have a great time and post lots of comments and photos!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1 (+1 states she is coming with or without him!)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

ArtMills + Wilma Mills + 2

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one +1

chocoera

mkayhara +1

Rob K

Sue Casey

DianaM

Gene

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

psantucci

ElsieD

Kerry, do you happen to know whether there will be a refractometer kicking around as part of the pâte de fruit demo? I'd love to see how to use one.

I shall bring!