• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1 (+1 states she is coming with or without him!)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one

chocoera

Helen S

mkayhara +1

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

psantucci

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Anna and I were at the food show in Toronto today - the Thermomix rep thinks she might be able to attend - that would probably mean if anyone wanted to go home with one they could. Anyone interested?

Dare I ask what the price point is? I'd love to have one, but not sure I can justify the expense!

On an unrelated note, has the "curriculum" for the conference been firmed up yet?

About $1800 when you allow for the tax. I'm guessing the americans won't have to pay the tax (if they have it shipped to their address) - would have to pay it if they picked it up in Ontario.

Re curriculum - Derrick teaches on Saturday - likely teaching what ever is new and exciting - I've left it up to him. Then either later Saturday if time permits and all day Sunday we'll play. In the play - Bob will do a caramel station and I'll do some Pate de Fruit.

I was speaking to the Belcolade rep today too - what I'd like him to do is give us several different single origin chocolates and we could make the same ganache with each and see what we think of the differences.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Plus one has spoken to the folks at Casa Mia - they will do apps, pasta and dessert for us for the Friday on the way back from Tomric for $25/head. I noticed that in the report from the first conference that John DePaula had eaten there and said wonderful things about it.

I've taught the kitchen staff there to do chocolate work - but I've not actually eaten there. Hear wonderful things though.

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one

chocoera

Helen S

mkayhara +1

Rob K

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

psantucci

Realize I should pull everything together here for people who might be joining us late and don't want to have to go through the whole thread.

Friday the 13th - (those who aren't on their motorbikes heading to Port Dover) cross the border and hit Tomric to look at equipment, molds etc. Robert M is organizing a look at a candy company or two, chocolot wants to hit ModPac.

We'll head back across the border at the end of the day and have dinner at Casa Mia - it will be set up buffet style at a cost of $25/head. Then back to the hotel for show and tell - where anyone who wants to show what they are making can bring it along and we'll drink coffee, tea (and sneak some wine).

Saturday, Derrick Tu Tan Pho of Callebaut will do a demo covering decorating techniques and ganaches. I suggested he not go the whole day so that we could start on some of the hands on stuff on Saturday.

So the remains of the day Sat and all day Sunday we will have a bunch of stations set up and we'll dip and mold, screen print, make transfers, airbrush, play with the thermomix, make pate de fruit...

Saturday night dinner - Chef Dave Gibson from the college will make us another fabulous prime rib and some other as yet undecided protien dinner that we will eat in the kitchen as we did last time. Cost will be around $35 each I figure as I think that's what it cost last time.

Hotel is

Hilton Garden Inn

500 York Rd,

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

(905) 984 4200

1-866-7779877

Group rate under the name eGullet Confectionery Conference

Rate is $139/night for the king room, $129/night for the 2 queen bed rooms

Additional people in room $20 (that would be 3 people in a room).

Cut off date to book rooms if April 14th then the block of rooms will be released.

Conference Saturday and Sunday be held at Niagara College in Niagara on the Lake.

I'm getting excited to meet everyone. I talked with Lois at Tomric and she said Modpac is just 2 blocks away so hopefully we can do both.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I looked at the ModPac website. Do they have a storefront sales desk sort of thing and can you buy just one or two of this and that?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I looked at the ModPac website. Do they have a storefront sales desk sort of thing and can you buy just one or two of this and that?

I don't know the answer to that question. Perhaps someone can give them a call and find out?

Will do.

Done. Phoned and spoke to the person in charge and no, there is no store front and there is nothing for sale. They have a display of boxes in their lobby, but that is all. As she said, they are a manufacturing plant.

However, they will put on a presentation and take groups on guided plant tours which are very interesting...watching cardboard and boxes being made, etc. A sort of "How it is Made" reality tour.

I guess I would actually find it fascinating. However, I would not choose to go over touring a candy company.

I have the name and number: Tracy Loverde, ModPac, (716) 873-0640.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi Kerry

Count me in. I've decided to arrive on Friday instead of Thursday so won't be able to go on the cross border trip.

Looking forward to seeing you and all the other folks and enjoying a weekend with chocolate :)

Sue

Hi Kerry

Count me in. I've decided to arrive on Friday instead of Thursday so won't be able to go on the cross border trip.

Looking forward to seeing you and all the other folks and enjoying a weekend with chocolate :)

Sue

How early Friday will you arrive? We'll make sure to keep in touch so you can catch up with us whatever time of day that happens.

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one

chocoera

Helen S

mkayhara +1

Rob K

Sue Casey

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

psantucci

I've spoken to Landies in Buffalo and he would be happy to host us for a tour of the operation on Friday May 13th. As we get closer to the date of the conference I will coordinate the actual number of people that would like to partake in the visit and any other relevant information.

I'm working on additional tours but haven't gotten hold of the people yet. I will update here as more information is available.

Because I couldn't access any Landies Candies website from Canada today?/for some reason?, I phoned the plant and talked to Larry, the man in charge. I was curious to know what they make and they make chocolate candies. They don't make anything else besides chocolate. Sounds good to me. They have a store front which we means we can buy goodies.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Looks good online. Is Robert M. already working to get us a tour??? Or something??? Go, Robert M. :smile:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Anyone have any issues with bacon? Casa Mia has decided to do a sit down dinner for us because plus one is such a good customer of theirs - and the cock au vin will contain bacon unless we suggest otherwise. Send me a PM if there is a problem.

Hello Kerry,

I am a new Ecole Chocolat graduate from Milton, ON, and new eG member, although I have been reading the content for quite a while now. I was wondering if I could join the participant list for the conference? I have lots and lots more to learn, and this would be a great opportunity. I hope I am not too late in responding. Please let me know if I may attend.

Thank you,

Diana