• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1 (+1 states she is coming with or without him!)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

psantucci

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

mkayahara

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

psantucci

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

mkayahara

Helen S (soon to sign up on eG)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

psantucci

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

mkayahara

I need folks to send me via PM their contact information if possible.

I was speaking to Qzina in Toronto today and they would like to know something about the participants in order that we can get some support from them for the conference. I suspect it means that most of us will get a call from a Qzina rep at some time in the future asking if there are any products they can provide you with.

I need to figure out what we should ask them for in the way of support. I was hoping to get perhaps a mold or two, maybe some transfer sheets for us to play with. They are getting away from the Callebaut they used to handle and are having their own chocolate (Chocoa) made these days and I'll ask for some samples for us to taste and play with to see how it compares with the chocolate each of us currently use.

I spoke with Dave (our Saturday dinner chef) - we discussed thoughts about the dinner - I told him I thought that we'd probably enjoy doing the prime rib again - he wondered for our secondary protein if we would prefer fish or something else. Thoughts please...

Also plus one and I went for lunch today at a wonderful sushi place in Niagara Falls (Canada side) - we thought that perhaps Friday between Tomric and show and tell it might be a good spot for dinner - other option is a nice Italian place Casa Mia in Niagara Falls if that would be preferable - would be a bit pricier than the sushi. Thought please...

Thanks once again for all the work that you are doing, Kerry. I just wonder when you sleep???? Or if????? :rolleyes:

ps. Yes, I would like to taste Chocoa.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Also plus one and I went for lunch today at a wonderful sushi place in Niagara Falls (Canada side) - we thought that perhaps Friday between Tomric and show and tell it might be a good spot for dinner - other option is a nice Italian place Casa Mia in Niagara Falls if that would be preferable - would be a bit pricier than the sushi. Thought please...

My vote would be for the wonderful sushi place but if the majority would like Italian that is fine by me too.

Edited by curls (log)

I am looking forward to the Roast Beef for dinner again! They did a fantastic job last time!

I am happy with sushi for dinner as you can't get that kind of food in my neck of the woods but if the Italian place has a great Gnocchi I would happily go there!

Oh and I am definitely interested in a caramel session. What would you be able to cover? Brittles, Toffees, fruit caramels, chocolate caramels or chewy vanilla caramel? I would like to develop better technique for inclusions in caramel as that is where I seem to throw things off but adding things too early and burning or adding too late where separations seem to happen.

I do need some guidance with caramel :rolleyes:

At this point I can only state with certainty that I will be arriving sometime on Friday. Since I don't know what time, please do not count on me for the Buffalo trip. This also means that I would not be attending the dinner in Buffalo. However, if dinner is on the Canadian side, I'm pretty sure I can make it and would be happy with Italian. I'll also happily partake of a roast beef dinner on Saturday. If you are looking at an alternate protein, fish is fine with me.

I'm really looking forward to this...... Hope to learn lots!

I regret to say that I must be moved into the 'maybe' category, if only because there is no 'not at all likely'. I've had some disappointing financial news, and while it isn't bad enough to threaten my stability, it is enough to make a fun trip just for me a bad idea.

I've decided to devote a portion of the money I would have spent and some time to actually using what I learned last time, and if there's a 2012 event come back with more to contribute. I don't want to be the kid who insists on having guitar lessons but won't practice B-}=.

I wish you all the best and you may be confident of my jealousy on the weekend itself.

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

mkayahara

psantucci

I am looking forward to the Roast Beef for dinner again! They did a fantastic job last time!

I am happy with sushi for dinner as you can't get that kind of food in my neck of the woods but if the Italian place has a great Gnocchi I would happily go there!

Oh and I am definitely interested in a caramel session. What would you be able to cover? Brittles, Toffees, fruit caramels, chocolate caramels or chewy vanilla caramel? I would like to develop better technique for inclusions in caramel as that is where I seem to throw things off but adding things too early and burning or adding too late where separations seem to happen.

I do need some guidance with caramel :rolleyes:

great minds think alike. i do remember the AMAZING beef dinner! yum-o. and those fantastic little bites that kerry did, i wouldn't mind inhaling those one more time. i am also quite happy with sushi, as i agree with beth, not too much sushi in algona ia...i have to go 2 hrs for any sign of sushi.

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

mkayahara

psantucci

I'M COMING TOO! sorry so MIA lately, opening a new location, so am a bit distracted. don't know if this was mentioned, but i would kill for any info/demo/notes etc on pate de fruit. i think it would be a great thing to discuss in terms of how different acids can affect outcome, different flavors to make that could compliment ganaches, perhaps even in layering the two for truffles (like your cigar truffle right kerry?) or how to do ganache/pate bars...things like that. i don't know about you, but sugar and pectin scare the s*** out me ;)

Speaking of stuff to bring - I'll be bringing my Thermomix for those who want to play with it. Anyone who might think they want to take one home should PM me so I can make arrangements for one to be available for you to take.

thermomix....you can arrange to purchase one? what kind of cash we talking about? can i sell my husband? :0)

or maybe rent him out? he's great with food photography!

What's the best airport to fly into?

I think most of us, if not all, flew into Buffalo. There is an airport shuttle that Erika and I took back to the airport for something like $40 pp.

excuse me marmish: i do not see your name on the roster :( you better be going!

and a shout out to steve and betsy...what gives? ;) i better see your names on there too, otherwise i will be extremely disappointed. perhaps steve can do a lil' demo on chocolate sculpture?! he did a WONDERFUL and very graceful piece this last week at a class. amazing.

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

psantucci

ArtMills +1

chocolot

MelissaH

plus one

chocoera

mkayahara +1

Maybe

Edward J

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I think most of us, if not all, flew into Buffalo. There is an airport shuttle that Erika and I took back to the airport for something like $40 pp.

and a shout out to steve and betsy...what gives? ;) i better see your names on there too, otherwise i will be extremely disappointed. perhaps steve can do a lil' demo on chocolate sculpture?! he did a WONDERFUL and very graceful piece this last week at a class. amazing.

Marmish will have a new rug rat around that time so won't be able to attend this year. Steve has other stuff going on - so no Steve and Betsy. Can I hook you up with someone else who might want to share a room this year?

Marmish will have a new rug rat around that time so won't be able to attend this year. Steve has other stuff going on - so no Steve and Betsy. Can I hook you up with someone else who might want to share a room this year?

Yep, it's true. I had every intention of attending, but am pregnant and due in June, so don't think I'll be up for traveling or being on my feet. Will miss you all and have been keeping an eye on the thread. Looking forward to the reports of all the fun I'm missing.

New location? Do tell. Moving or second location?