• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1 (+1 states she is coming with or without him!)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne +2

Tino27

David J

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

chocolot

My plus two have decided not to come.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just had a quick look at both the White Oaks site and the Hilton. The White Oaks actually looks to be a bit cheaper, or am I missing something? Anyway, I'm fine with either.

They are quoting us $139 if we go with a block of rooms - so I'm just firming that up.

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

Tino27

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

chocolot

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne

Tino27

David J

Beth Wilson (-2)

psantucci

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

chocolot

Ok, decisions need to be made!

Anna and I were down at Niagara College today talking to Chef Storm and Chef Dave Gibson about what we want to eat for our Saturday dinner. Those who were at the last Niagara conference in 2009 will recall that Dave cooked us an outstanding dinner. We started with a mushroom soup. Then prime rib with yorkshire pudding, roasted potatoes, as well as roasted chicken for those non red meat eaters. Dessert was made by Chef Storm.

So what would we like Dave to cook for us this year? Do you want deja vu all over again - or something different this time?

Chef Storm is talking a vanilla and mango dessert this time around.

The 2009 menu sounds delicious (I remember those fabulous dinner photos that were posted) but I'll bet that anything the chef makes will be wonderful. Does the chef want to experiment with something new this year? I'm up for just about anything for the Saturday dinner.

The 2009 menu sounds delicious (I remember those fabulous dinner photos that were posted) but I'll bet that anything the chef makes will be wonderful. Does the chef want to experiment with something new this year? I'm up for just about anything for the Saturday dinner.

I think Dave wants to make whatever will make us happy.

Ok - block of rooms at the Hilton Garden will be put into their computer today.

We have a block of 14 rooms - 4 of them are two queen beds - the remainder are 1 King bed (they didn't have more 2 bed rooms).

The contact information is

Hilton Garden Inn

500 York Rd,

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

(905) 984 4200

1-866-7779877

Group rate under the name eGullet Confectionery Conference

Rate is $139/night for the king room, $129/night for the 2 queen bed rooms

Additional people in room $20 (that would be 3 people in a room).

Cut off date to book rooms if April 14th then the block of rooms will be released.

Still deciding if I should look for some other rooms locally or if that will be enough?

As this will be my first conference, I'm not familiar with the usual itinerary. When we book our room, do we book for check-out on Sunday? Thanks.

The plan would be Buffalo on Friday - visit Tomric - and with any luck tour some candy makers there. Friday evening we get together in the hotel courtesy room to show off what we brought and drink a bit!

Saturday Derrick will teach us, then Sunday we play. Generally we go to early afternoon on Sunday, get cleaned up and head off. Some people might have to leave earlier, some might stay Sunday night and head out on Monday. So it depends when you have to get home, when you decide to check out.

The plan would be Buffalo on Friday - visit Tomric - and with any luck tour some candy makers there. Friday evening we get together in the hotel courtesy room to show off what we brought and drink a bit!

Question: what about non-hotel conference folk? We have two dogs with our family and will have to find a dog-friendly motel somewhere nearby. Is there special dispensation for us?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Question: what about non-hotel conference folk? We have two dogs with our family and will have to find a dog-friendly motel somewhere nearby. Is there special dispensation for us?

Not quite sure what the question is - dispensation for which part?

We've had a question - anyone interested in ModPak in Buffalo on the Friday (packaging place)? Not sure what they have outlet wise - but will ask Brian when I talk with him later this week.

Sorry. Can non-hotel folk join in at the hotel courtesy room?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Sorry. Can non-hotel folk join in at the hotel courtesy room?

Indeed - everyone comes. Not sure about the dogs though!

One of the things I would really like to learn is how to use coloured cocoa butter. I love the look of chocolates that have different colours. Can this be part of the course? i would likely not be going to Buffalo but would be joining folks in the evening.

One of the things I would really like to learn is how to use coloured cocoa butter. I love the look of chocolates that have different colours. Can this be part of the course? i would likely not be going to Buffalo but would be joining folks in the evening.

This will likely be a big part of what we do. On Sunday we'll have 'stations' set up and you can move around and play with coloured cocoa butter and other things you want to play with.

Any sorts of equipment, etc, that might be in order to bring: apron, dippers, spatulas, thermometers, containers to take stuff home ???? ...I don't know...

I bought a tiny truffle ganache scooper from you last year and never used it. Could bring that and try it out finally.

Should we be bringing anything pre-made for sharing and tasting?

Thanks.

If I get loose in Tomric, I'll buy one of those plaquette mats for sure. And I would LOVE to have a set of caramel rulers too. $$$$

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Any sorts of equipment, etc, that might be in order to bring: apron, dippers, spatulas, thermometers, containers to take stuff home ???? ...I don't know...

I bought a tiny truffle ganache scooper from you last year and never used it. Could bring that and try it out finally.

Should we be bringing anything pre-made for sharing and tasting?

Thanks.

If I get loose in Tomric, I'll buy one of those plaquette mats for sure. And I would LOVE to have a set of caramel rulers too. $$$$

Yup - bring along any equipment you want to try. Excellent idea on the containers to take things home - I always forget to tell people that. Aprons always a great idea.

Tomric can be a dangerous place to shop! You might want to check with them ahead of time and make sure they have what you want in stock and ask them to set it aside for you.

Speaking of stuff to bring - I'll be bringing my Thermomix for those who want to play with it. Anyone who might think they want to take one home should PM me so I can make arrangements for one to be available for you to take.