• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

The simple answer is, it's not worthy losing my job over trying to cross a border with alcohol in the car - I simply hadn't thought about that when I made the comment - so - NO alcohol - we'll buy what we want to use in Canada and then donate it to "the cause" -

The simple answer is, it's not worthy losing my job over trying to cross a border with alcohol in the car - I simply hadn't thought about that when I made the comment - so - NO alcohol - we'll buy what we want to use in Canada and then donate it to "the cause" -

There's something here I don't understand. You can certainly cross the Canadian border with alcohol in the car. I can't give you the exact amounts right now because my computer cannot access the Canadian official site. (really ticks me off that government sites appear to call for quite sophisticated software and programs.)

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Canada has some tricky laws in regards to alcohol when compared to U.S. laws. I know that US citizens can be denied entry into Canada if they have ever had a DUI conviction - even a lower class one. Ran into this issue three years ago when a big group of us went to Niagara Falls for a short vacation.

I'd love to attend, but I don't have a US passport. I do believe US citizens now need a passport to cross the Canadian border, correct? At last check, it was taking about 8 months for passports to be processed due to the huge rush in the past year. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say, for I may be a yes. Im still stewing over missing the event in MD

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Canada has some tricky laws in regards to alcohol when compared to U.S. laws. I know that US citizens can be denied entry into Canada if they have ever had a DUI conviction - even a lower class one. Ran into this issue three years ago when a big group of us went to Niagara Falls for a short vacation.

I'd love to attend, but I don't have a US passport. I do believe US citizens now need a passport to cross the Canadian border, correct? At last check, it was taking about 8 months for passports to be processed due to the huge rush in the past year. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say, for I may be a yes. Im still stewing over missing the event in MD

The passport rush is long over (at least in Los Angeles) and you should be able to get your passport without much delay. Certainly if you get around to applying for it soon, you should have it before year end.

Hope you and your car can make it this year!

I'd love to attend, but I don't have a US passport. I do believe US citizens now need a passport to cross the Canadian border, correct?

" Canada will not allow a U.S. citizen into the country who does not have the proper documentation to return home."

Americans need a passport to GET BACK INTO THE USA!!!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 months later...

Kerry, how's the planning going for this? My wife has started harassing me to pin down our travel dates: are you planning anything for Thursday evening? My best flight option at the moment would get me in later Thursday evening, so I would not be able to make it.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Nothing planned for Thursday evening - Friday evening we'll probably do the get together as we did for the other times. Still haven't figured out what to do Friday during the day!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive applied for my passport (well, not the passport book, but the card) and I should have it in about 4 weeks. I wont know till pretty much the first week of May weather or not I'll be attending (my second child is slated to born on May 9th) but if I do, I'm gonna have to make a stop at the Anchor Bar. Might be a good stop-off idea for those entering through Buffalo via auto traffic. I just want to see a walk-in full of 100,000 chicken wings ready to fry.

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Ive applied for my passport (well, not the passport book, but the card) and I should have it in about 4 weeks. I wont know till pretty much the first week of May weather or not I'll be attending (my second child is slated to born on May 9th) but if I do, I'm gonna have to make a stop at the Anchor Bar. Might be a good stop-off idea for those entering through Buffalo via auto traffic. I just want to see a walk-in full of 100,000 chicken wings ready to fry.

If you want the nostalgia/history/kitsch factor, then by all means go to the Anchor Bar. But if you want superior wings, then head to Duffs in Amherst (about 20 minutes east of the Anchor Bar). Take it from a native - no contest!

Patty

• 1 month later...

Looks as though I'll be there, at least for part of the weekend. I'll have to check with my husband to see if he wants to come, or if he'll be busy grading final exams.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Gotta get down there next week some time and firm things up for our Saturday dinner. Still trying to come up with an idea for Friday - we did Tomric last time - any ideas?

Does Tomric have a retail store or is it all catalog sales? I would like to get some more molds and thought I could stop in at Tomric to get them (and avoid shipping fees).

Not exactly a retail store - but if you go in with a list of what you want you can pick it up. Phoning first to have an order ready for you is even easier.

If folks were interested we could ask them to do some sort of equipment demo for us and then we could buy molds and stuff again - but it does mean running across the border and back.

Not exactly a retail store - but if you go in with a list of what you want you can pick it up. Phoning first to have an order ready for you is even easier.

If folks were interested we could ask them to do some sort of equipment demo for us and then we could buy molds and stuff again - but it does mean running across the border and back.

Thanks for the information Kerry. If we don't have an equipment demo with Tomric, I will definitely phone an order in to them for pickup. Looking forward to the conference!

Edited by curls (log)

Last conference here - I don't think anyone but myself and Kyle and his mom's booked at the White Oaks Inn (posh place) - so I'm thinking I might just book a block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn - that's where most people stayed last time and where we had our Friday evening "show and tell". Any thoughts?

Last conference here - I don't think anyone but myself and Kyle and his mom's booked at the White Oaks Inn (posh place) - so I'm thinking I might just book a block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn - that's where most people stayed last time and where we had our Friday evening "show and tell". Any thoughts?

Hilton Garden Inn looks good to me, as does a trip to Tomric if they'll do a demo. If not, I'd just as soon resist the temptation as my toy budget has shrunk this year.

Must remember to check passport status. I've had too many events (and not nearly enough candymaking) recently. If nothing else, the conference will force me to do something I like doing!

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Those of us coming in through Buffalo won't have any additional border crossing issues with a Friday morning stop at Tomric. :biggrin:

As far as lodging, for me, the cheaper the better, within limits.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1 (+1 states she is coming with or without him!)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne +2

Tino27

David J

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad