• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2011 Candy and Confectionery Conference

Kerry Beal

If I have money and time, I might go. But can we rent a cool house again?

Added to the maybe's.

We'll have to start looking into cool houses in the area. Looks like there is at least 1 request for a B&B - there's got to be a whole lot of them in the Niagara on the Lake area.

Last time we got rooms at the White Oak's Conference Centre and the Hilton Garden Inn. Nice and close to the college. The White Oak's is kind of posh (and I've gotta say was totally wasted on my exhausted bod by the end of the days), the Garden Inn more basic - but suited most people very nicely.

We had our Friday evening show and tell at the Hilton Garden which worked out nicely.

It would be neat to have a few more options this time around though.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1 (+1 states she is coming with or without him!)

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darianne

Marmish

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne +2

Marmish

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

Just a quick edit to correct spelling and add some +'s

Kerry, this sounds like a real blast and since it's only a couple of hours from Cleveland, I'd like to attend, too. I have a sneaking suspicion that Edsel might be joining me as well, but I'll let him make that call on his own.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Kerry, this sounds like a real blast and since it's only a couple of hours from Cleveland, I'd like to attend, too. I have a sneaking suspicion that Edsel might be joining me as well, but I'll let him make that call on his own.

Yay! I hope so! I'm sorry I missed you guys in A2 and when I was home earlier this summer.

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne +2

Marmish

Tino27

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty definite from me. I'm ashamed to have made next to nothing since the last conference - I hope committing to this one will push me to do something worthy in the cooler months.

And I had a great time last time and really miss the company!

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Yes, please add me to the "Pretty Definite" list too.

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne +2

Marmish

Tino27

psantuuc

edsel

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

Hi, I am a recent graduate of the Chocolatier Program at Ecole Chocolat, chocolate hobbyist (bean to bonbon) in my spare time and long time lurker here. After reading about the 2010 conference and seeing the pictures, I would like to register my strong interest in attending the 2011 conference. I am pleased to read that even relative newbies like me are welcome. Please put me down as a "pretty definite" if you don't mind, Kerry. Thanks.

Edited by justDeb (log)

Hi, I am a recent graduate of the Chocolatier Program at Ecole Chocolate, chocolate hobbyist (bean to bonbon) in my spare time and long time lurker here. After reading about the 2010 conference and seeing the pictures, I would like to register my strong interest in attending the 2011 conference. I am pleased to read that even relative newbies like me are welcome. Please put me down as a "pretty definite" if you don't mind, Kerry. Thanks.

Done like dinner!

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne +2

Marmish

Tino27

psantuuc

edsel

justDeb

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

Pat - I'm bringing the Xtabentun...

Yeah, I don't think we've got that quite right yet - we'd better make some more and taste again :wink:

I hope it's not an open bottle - might be a bit of an issue bringing it across the border!

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne +2

Marmish

Tino27

psantuuc

edsel

justDeb

LindaS

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

Robert M

curls

dhardy123

ElsieD

Darienne +2

Marmish

Tino27

psantuuc

edsel

justDeb

Linda S

Maybe

Edward J

Susan V

prasantrin

Rick Mogstad

We often bring open bottles across the border from the USA to Canada. They are always packed away in one of our kitchen containers at the back of the van. We have never been asked if our liquor is open. But I would be glad to know.

We have never taken an open bottle INTO the USA. We are always very careful about what we take into the States: no vegetables, no fruit, no meat of any kind...we buy the dog's food in the States.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

OK. I'll find out. I know it's illegal to have it on the seat beside you but I didn't know about having it in the trunk or something.

Let's get this one nailed down, please.

Here's from the BC liquor board:

Open liquor in a motor vehicle must not be readily accessible to anyone in the motor vehicle (stored behind the seat, in the trunk, etc.). Passengers are not permitted to consume alcohol in a moving vehicle.

Kansas ( a state we pass through every year) has the strictest laws in the USA according to some sources (don't know how good they are):

Laws Concerning Automobiles

# Open containers are prohibited inside any private moving vehicle in Kansas. This includes the passenger area as well as unlocked glove compartments or other easily accessible area of the vehicle. All alcoholic beverages are covered by this regulation, including beer, wine, hard alcohol, and any spirits that contain one half of one percent alcohol or more. This law applies to vehicles on all public roads and even on highway shoulders. As of June 2010, first-time violators of the law can expect to pay up to $200 or spend up to six months in prison. Second-time violators face one year license suspension in addition to other penalties and fees decided by the judge.

Back again: from the Ontario official site:

Conveying liquor in vehicle, boat

32. (1) No person shall drive or have the care or control of a motor vehicle as defined in the Highway Traffic Act or a motorized snow vehicle, whether it is in motion or not, while there is contained in the vehicle any liquor, except under the authority of a licence or permit. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 32 (1).

Exception

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the liquor in the vehicle,

(a) is in a container that is unopened and the seal unbroken; or

(b) is packed in baggage that is fastened closed or is not otherwise readily available to any person in the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 32 (2).

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.