• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Somayaki tea/sake sets

Jaymes

I've got some Soma tea and sake sets. They're trimmed with gold, so I suspect it's not wise to put them in either the microwave or the dishwasher, but I'm not sure.

I did have some from the 60's and never even would have considered it, but this current set is newer, so I'm thinking perhaps this might be microwave and/or dishwasher safe.

Anyone know?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Can you post a photo of your sets? I wonder what the label says. If you see characters like

電子レンジ使用可

and

電子レンジ対応

then, you can put them in the microwave.

Thanks so much for responding.

I checked, and they have no labels. They're that typical cracked green, with a gold horse on the front, and gold on the top rims. I suppose the worst that could happen, in the dishwasher anyway, is that over time, the gold will come off.

I bought them via a website. Perhaps I'll email them.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If it is a metal trim then it cannot go in the microwave. You can do an exeperiment: just pop in the microwave for a few seconds and see if the trim starts sparking.

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

If it is a metal trim then it cannot go in the microwave. You can do an exeperiment: just pop in the microwave for a few seconds and see if the trim starts sparking.

I wouldn't recommend making any experiments! I have made silly mistakes several times before, making dark spots on the gold rim.