• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A pithy batch of lemon sorbet

paulraphael

So, I decided to make some sorbet with these beautiful Meyer lemons I found, and ended up with a bitter pill to swallow.

This might have been the mistake: instead of just juicing the lemons, I peeled them and then pureed and strained them. I didn't think this would be a problem, since this has worked well with oranges, and since meyer lemons can be mild enough to eat whole. The puree itself had a fairly bitter taste to it. I went ahead anyhow, thinking maybe the sweetness would ameliorate it. No such luck.

Basic proportions: 1000g total; 5 pureed lemons (270g after straining), 2 of them zested. Everything is great as far as texture, tartness, sweetness, etc., but the flavor tastes like grapefruit with extra helpings of pith.

I don't have much experience with Meyer lemons. Was it a mistake to puree rather than juice, or might I have just gotten some nasty ones?

Notes from the underbelly

I would only puree after supreming the lemons (same as I do when making a grapefruit sorbet). I have a feeling the bitterness comes from the part that separates the segments.

Learn something new everyday.

Found two answers to supreming:

- one cuts away the membranes

- the other cuts away the membranes and the flesh near the membranes.

Yes?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'd agree with Mitch: sounds like a pith problem. However, the oil of Meyer lemons also have that slightly herbal quality to them; you can't squeeze a Meyer peel atop most cocktails to pleasing effect, for example. Perhaps this is a zest problem?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'll vote that it's a pith problem, too. It may be that the pith of Meyer lemons is especially bitter compared to other citrus. Awhile back, when I had some Meyer lemons, I was checking out recipes in Lindsey Shere's Chez Panisse Desserts. In the recipes for Meyer lemon ice cream and sherbet, Shere is careful to say the pith of Meyer lemons is "very bitter," and shouldn't be included in the preparation.