• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining On Maine's Wild Foods

johnnyd

I attended a dinner last month composed entirely of foraged plants, seafood and some Maine venison. I took pictures and recorded some audio of the event which I mixed together here:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 4 weeks later...

Holy cow. That's amazing.

Can you say a bit more about the milkweed pods? I've seen thousands of those over the years, especially during summers with my grandparents in Waterville, and in a million years I would never have thought that they were edible. What did you do to/with them?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I would enjoy that meal very much. Reminded me of the cattails we ate on canoe trips in Algonquin Park, Ontario.

I've got a weird little book from the 1970's that explains how to forage here in Nova Scotia, but I can't find it. I think its got a section on milkweed.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Gee whiz, everybody! Thanks for taking a look. I am very proud of this.

I am trying to take foodblogging to a new level using tools I have gathered in my broadcasting career. This was produced on a Pro Tools LE audio workstation that I built myself. The field audio was captured on a Marantz 620pro, a hand-held solid state recorder that CNN takes(took) into Baghdad. Photos were taken by the same Canon A85 that I used in my eG foodblogs.

Subscribe here for future productions: http://portlandcooks.net/

@Chris:

As soon as milk weed pods get silk, they are done - ie: inedible - so you have to get at them early. This took place mid-July so there's your target window. PS: they were barely 2" across, most were smaller. I have a photo of them sauteeing that I will find.

@PTE:

I'll ask my pals at http://www.rabelaisbooks.com/ if they've heard/seen that. They are in the antique food/cookbook racket.

@djyee:

I don't know about that, but I'll pass on your request to Stephen. Stay tuned.

@janeer:

The TTable was a great touch. the two jazz ditties (especially the flourish over the end credits) was the actual player's output captured on the field recorder. There was a lot of superimposed audio (six tracks - 600 edits) in order to condense 4 hours into 3 minutes!

I am currently editing audio and slides of a lobster bake I attended a couple weeks ago on Long Island in Casco Bay, catered by http://www.cascobaylobsterbake.com/

IMG_1392.JPG

It's going to be swell.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

@Chris:

As soon as milk weed pods get silk, they are done - ie: inedible - so you have to get at them early. This took place mid-July so there's your target window. PS: they were barely 2" across, most were smaller. I have a photo of them sauteeing that I will find

Tough to gauge their size from this but I'd say these are less than two inches.

IMG_0808.JPG

They were my wife's favorite course of the dinner because they... wait for it... taste like chicken.

Portland Food Map.com

• 4 weeks later...

I am pleased and flattered to report that my 3-minute audio/slide show on an unusual 15-course meal was picked up by SustainableFoodNews.com.

Sustainable Food News .com

It is being tweeted to 2000 subscribers worldwide! Woohooo!

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

I am pleased and flattered to report that my 3-minute audio/slide show on an unusual 15-course meal was picked up by SustainableFoodNews.com.

Sustainable Food News .com

It is being tweeted to 2000 subscribers worldwide! Woohooo!

Congratualations! And I have subscribed to your multimedia blog. It makes me homesick...in a good way.

Very nice and a great looking dinner. I assume that in your "not foraged by us" ingredients were things like salt, flour, oil, pepper and a few other items. Did you hear about the Herbfarm's 100 mile dinner? I guess these are getting pretty common around the country, but I think he did remarkably well by not allowing even a few ingredients (he made his own salt!) Most humorous - a guest insisting on opening a bottle of expensive French wine from the cellar. I can see there are food purist and there are rich folks who like novelty, there are adventurers and there are chefs trying to keep things interesting. Room for all, yes?