• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single Topic Foodblogs

Chufi

For a presentation I have to give about foodblogs, I'm looking for blogs that limit themselves to one topic (like Kuban's Pizza blog over on Serious Eats). Who knows good ones? (I realize 'good' is subjective. By that I mostly mean, blogs that are somewhat serious, not too gimmicky, and regularly updated).

thanks!

There are several blogs about ice cream only but I can't really speak to their seriousness. I have them bookmarked, but only just dip into them now and then. I did jettison a few that I found pretty awful.

http://icecreamfellow.blogspot.com/

http://yourefrosted.blogspot.com/

http://www.icecreamgeek.com/

http://japaneseicecream.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your project.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I visit a couple

This one about JELLO is my favorite -

I've also been following This Slow Cooker/Crock-Pot blog for a couple of years.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I agree about the Jello one being fascinating. I can't stop staring at the rainbow mold. Partially because it's so pretty and I want some and partially because I can't fathom spending the amount of time she must've spent making it because, at the end of the day, it's still a JELLO MOLD.

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

I forgot to mention this one

All Barbecue, All the time!

Warning: This web site can be addicting! :laugh:

Note that subtitle: "Home of the Smokin' Buzzards"

I love it!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a slew of cocktail blogs loaded into my google reader, but the ones I make sure to read regularly are:

Marshall Fawley & SeanMike Whipkey's Scofflaw's Den

Wayne Curtis's Slow Cocktails

Camper English's Alcademics, the place to turn if you're obsessed with ice, in particular.

Rick Stutz's Kaiser Penguin

Michael Dietsch's Dash of Bitters

Darcy O'Neil's Art of Drink

Lauren Clark's DrinkBoston, essential for those of us in New England but a terrific read for anyone interested in the social history and present of cocktails.

I think my two favorites are:

Jeffrey Morgenthaler's blog, which includes outstanding recipes, funny entries on life as a bartender, and a lot more, and

Paul Clarke's Cocktail Chronicles, written by the man that I think most folks consider the dean of cocktail blogs.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

As I'm thinking about this some more, I feel that the 'cookbook or other projects' blogs are also really single subject blogs. The Julie/Julia one, of course, and French Laundry at home and Alinea at home.

Any other noteworthy ones like that? I think lots of project blogs get started, but many don't seem to last. Starting a project is so much easier than actually keeping it up.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Gosh! How could I have forgotten the Cheese Underground blog?

I am a bit of a fanatic about cheese and I have an entire folder full of sites, links and blogs about cheese but this one is my fave and it has most of the links I follow anyway.

For anyone who loves cheese, this is an essential.

I also was following a blog about sushi but lost the link somewhere.

Kerry, if you find the blog about mayonnaise, let me know. I think it may be the one where I found a great recipe for mayonnaise biscuits. I have the recipe but not the link.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

People mean various things by "blog" today: Some use the word in the narrower sense of diary-type entries on third-party hosted sites, others use it for any online source maintained by one or a few people (often called Web sites or home pages, before "blog" became a popular word a few years back). Those linked below are blogs in the wider sense (all predate the current form of "blogging") and are not exactly totally serious, but are among the most venerable and popular online food-related references for irony or humor. Worth knowing, for anyone who doesn't already.

The Potted Meat Food Products Corpus (begun 1998). Initial photo of current canned products is eloquent enough (Armour Pork Brains in Milk Gravy, said to have 1200% the US gov't recommended cholesterol limit, crowds tin of Bronte Lamb Tongues) but it gets better. Flint River Ranch definition of "Meat by-products," exact industry meaning and regulatory history of Mechanically Separated Poultry. Very well written. One link listed there (the Potted Meat Food Product Tribute Page) includes a dialog with Armour Star [Potted Meat] Products and a bizarre misconception about erythorbates (harmless, naturally occurring food anti-oxidants, isomers of Vitamin C).

J. Lilek's Gallery of Regrettable Food, a classic (begun 1990s); when I corresponded about it with James Lileks in 1999 he envisioned a book from it, which is now available and listed on the site.

The Candyboots collection of (sometimes garish) 1974 Weight Watchers recipe cards, begun 2003, part of a larger site.

• 1 month later...

Too late for your presentation but this one fits the description: Burger Boy. The content is even more remarkable coming from a ten-year-old kid with Cerebral Palsy.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 1 month later...