• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asparagus: thick or thin?

Dave the Cook

This dish, made with early, local, thin spears, is something I do nearly every year-

Crisp Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus with Midori-Honeydew Sorbet-

gallery_41580_4407_1549.jpg

All this talk and no photos yet? Here are some thin spears that were marinated in a jalapeno evoo, grilled and topped with grated pecorino romano. These were very tender and flavorful. To be eaten with your fingers warm off the grill.

That's very similar to the way I do it, sans the cheese. So very tasty!

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

I've had stringy, flossy thin garlic before. But this is unusual ... generally I prefer the tenderness and the flavor of thin garlic. I'm curious to know why it's sometimes stringy, and if there's a way to tell before you buy it.

That should read "asparagus" in both places, not "garlic". Gotta lay off the mid-day hooch.

Notes from the underbelly

Out of season there doesn't seem to be much difference between med or thin. If they are a little old and limp you can revive them like cut flowers by trimming the bottom and putting them in water with an aspirin. You won't believe how they firm up!

Personally in season I love the Jumbo Green or Purple Asparagus from the Sacramento delta. Thicker is more tender and doesn't need to be peeled in season IMO just trim dry or tough stalks and cut any scales from the side. I still remember my first in season farmers market Asparagus from Zuckerman farms. I couldn't believe the sweetness, it seems like a totally different vegetable.

We only buy asparagus when it's local-ish (as in from the South west of the UK...occasionally we do go slightly further away in the UK, but never abroad) and in season. Our local farm shop grows their own. As a family we prefer the thicker stems, which we never peel and have never find to be stringy or unpleasent. The thinner stems have tended to be less flavoursome.

The best asapargus I have ever had was in a tapas bar in Lyme Regis, of all places! The asparagus was locally grown, really thick and succulent and served with lashings of melted butter. Mmmmmmmm....