• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for Lovage

Shel_B

What may make a good substitute for the herb, lovage? I want to use lovage, or the substitute, in Olney's recipe for Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic.

Thanks!

... Shel

Lovage tastes like concentrated celery, so I would suggest celery or celery leaves if you must use something else.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

foodpairing.be suggests: Cardamom, Cumin, Mandarin peel, Origanum, Rosemary http://www.foodpairing.be/FoodInterchangeable.aspx?f=Lovage

I haven't tried those but they sound rather sketchy.

I agree with tighe, though: celery leaves make a good substitute. Parsley might be another option.

If you have a Maggi stock cube lying around - use that! - loveage is called Maggikraut in German :-)

About me: Jonas Frei - Artisan Cuisinier / PolyScience, ETI, Kisag, SLB distributor for Switzerland. 

I started: www.cuuks.com and the Sous Vide °Celsius App

Twitter: @ArtCuisinier

Not sure about that foodpairing site, although I like it's suggestion of replacing parsely with fried bacon!

If you have access to an indian\eastern grocery you might be able to get Ajwain seeds.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

You live in the bay area and can grow your own in pots. It grows like a weed and will self-seed readily if allowed to.

I live in the desert and always have two or three big pots of it at various stages of growth. I mulch it deeply to overwinter it and it will come right back in the spring. You don't have hard freezes so it will overwinter easily and keep growing, though not as vigorously as during warm weather.

The closest flavor is actually the tops of celery root or celeriac.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When I read this topic I can't help but imagine Weird Al singing Madonna's Substitute For Love.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack