• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

I haven't booked anything, but still planning on arriving Thursday in time for Tremont, and leaving Sunday after the lunch.

Since the Sunday farewell meal won't be at the airport Marriott, should I re-consider my hotel accommodations?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I haven't booked anything, but still planning on arriving Thursday in time for Tremont, and leaving Sunday after the lunch.

Since the Sunday farewell meal won't be at the airport Marriott, should I re-consider my hotel accommodations?

I chose the downtown Embassy Suites. Got a good rate online and I like the fact their rooms have small kitchenette's and fridges. In mapping it out it's within walking distance of a lot of things downtown.

The bigger question for me is what to cook for Saturday!

Yes, we'll need to start asking folks to pick their courses for Saturday soon. Our Saturday host, Scott Groth, has some ideas he wants to share with me (in addition to donating the space, he very much wants to be involved with the weekend), so we'll start that process next week. Thinking caps on, please!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

My +1 and I are in for everything except Sunday night (but Sunday lunch is OK. . . I think. . . if Kerry is in, we're in!)

Ditto - yup Sunday lunch OK but Sunday night out.

Had a great meeting with Scott Groth a/k/a The Chubby Cook this afternoon - he is excited to host us on Saturday and will be contributing a dessert, intermezzo, and fresh juices as well.

Since the airfare wars end later today, now seems an opportune time to ask the "maybe" folk if they have decided whether or not they are attending.

Boagman - have you decided whether or not you are still joining us?

I appreciate the kick in the pants, Nancy, as I'd forgotten to get back to you. You can remove me and my +1 from all the lists, thanks. Donna and I will not be in attendance. Hope you folks enjoy it, though!

Sorry to be so confusing folks, but sometimes, that's just how the restaurant business is!

I am now again talking to the Airport Marriott, and they are willing to do a group rate of $79 a night/room; the Marriott is a very nice property and its a good rate; our group rate at the neighboring Holiday Inn for another convention I do, which is half the hotel the Marriott is, is $75. I need to know if people are interested in taking them up on this so I can set up the room block. They have shuttle service to and from the airport, are right next to the light rail station that serves downtown, and are conveniently located for locals to shuttle the out-of-towners to the various events over the weekend.

As you know, Chef Ellis Cooley left AMP 150 at the Marriott (I knew about this weeks before it was announced, but was sworn to secrecy about it). So long as Ellis's replacement was not known to me, I could not continue to consider that venue for this event, even though it had been a first choice with Ellis at the helm. Luckily for all involved, Chef Jeff Jarrett has taken over at AMP 150, and he is capable of producing an amazing, exciting menu from the property's garden and his local purveyors for our final group meal. I'm not giving up hope of involving Chef Steve Schimoler in this also, as his food is amazing, but I have confirmed that his Cropicana simply doesn't have the facilities to let him do the kind of food we'd want him to do - Chef Jeff has graciously agreed to share the Sunday stage with Steve at AMP 150, if we can work it out - otherwise, our last big meal at AMP 150 will be all Jeff - either way, it will be amazing. For anyone remaining in Cleveland for dinner (I know of at least one of you!) - we will plan something tailored to the number of people, and how much more eating they are up for - the Sunday Supper at Flying Fig might be an excellent choice.

So, please reply to this message or PM me to let me know if you are interested in staying at the Marriott at the $79 room rate.

Also - can any of the "maybe" people let me know whether they are coming? Fat Guy, LuckyGirl, technophile50, heidih? Thank you!

Boagman - have you decided whether or not you are still joining us?

I appreciate the kick in the pants, Nancy, as I'd forgotten to get back to you. You can remove me and my +1 from all the lists, thanks. Donna and I will not be in attendance. Hope you folks enjoy it, though!

Thank you for the head's up Boagman! Perhaps we'll see you next year.

So, please reply to this message or PM me to let me know if you are interested in staying at the Marriott at the $79 room rate.

Yes, we're definitely in at that rate. Also, we moved our flight so should now be able to join you for the entire Tremont crawl (airline timeliness permitting, of course).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Good news and bad news about Friday - the bad news is the The Sausage Shop is closed for vacation during our weekend, so we won't get to go there. The good news is that Chris Hodgson, who's Hodge Podge food truck recently competed into the finals of the just-filmed Great Food Truck Race for Food Network, has agreed to do a meet and greet with us. Chris's background includes stints at The Spotted Pig in NYC and fire here in Cleveland, his first food truck, Dim and Den Sum, was the first to break through Cleveland anachronistic laws on that subject (which will be one aspect of his talk) to bring gourmet fare to the Cleveland area streets. We'll be visiting with one or both of his trucks, and probably lunching from them (we're still working out all of the logistics). Chris will tell us as much as he's allowed to about his experience making food television (he's already told me a couple of great stories that I know you'll enjoy). Once the timing for the Chris is finalized, we'll determine if there is enough time in the day for another activity before Happy Hour starts at the Velvet Tango Room at 5pm. We do have a couple of things we're looking into if time permits.

i reread your post, and it sounds like you are setting up the block. 2 people, three nights. Thanks!

Correct, Sam - the Marriott has asked me how many rooms we will need, and I'll be setting up the block once I have a sense of it. I see two takers so far - any others?

We are in for a room

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'm hoping to be able to come and if I do I'll be taking a room. By when would you need to know for sure?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I need to get a sense of how many rooms we'd need in our room block and I don't want to reserve too few. So - anyone who thinks they might like to stay at the Marriott should let me know ASAP so I can get a block set up - while I'll add a couple of extra rooms, I don't know how many they'll let me hold over the "committed" number at that rate. So please keep those cards and letters coming.

With Steve, I'm up to 5 rooms - do we think 10 will be enough?