• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

Question: Do the prices given so far include beverages of any kind?

Personally, I'd rather just go through eventbrite on everything, just to get the payment out of the way. I would imagine it would also be easier for the restaurants.

Just a recap on prices:

Thursday evening: Tremont Crawl--$70 incl TT

Friday day--??

Friday Happy Hour:

Friday evening--Greenhouse Tavern--~$65+TT

Saturday dinner

Sunday lunch--AMP150--$30 exclusive TT

Any idea about other costs? Particularly the Saturday dinner?

An update after several of your posts...

Courses:

* David Ross, Stir-Fried Pork with Sweet Bean Paste and Rice Stick Noodles

* JAZ (and Dave), Roasted red pepper soup with an aged gouda crouton

Just to clarify, we're planning to serve the soup as a shot, not as a full course.

I'm still going to list it under the courses as that is when it will be served. Perhaps we'll pair it up with something else (small sandwich maybe?) to make a complete course out of it.

Also, we're a week and a half away from this dinner and only two people have stepped up to champion a course (or part of a course) so far. You don't necessarily have to know what you are making ahead of time to be in charge of a course. I understand that many of us cook based on what we find at the market. So, if you'd like to volunteer to be in charge of one of the dinner courses (even if you don't know what you'd like to make yet), please feel free to speak up.

----

Saturday Meal Prep Plan

Afternoon Noshing

Tino27 - Bread

Dinner

Amuse:

* Scott Groth, Apricot "fruit roll up" over the foie gras on spiced toast

Cocktails:

* JAZ, lime cordial/gimlets

* ronnie_suburban

* jsmeeker

Appetizer:

* Kerry Beal, Larb

* jsmeeker, Open-faced Fried Bologna Slider on Salt and Pepper Focaccia

Courses:

* JAZ (and Dave), Roasted red pepper soup shooter with an aged gouda crouton

Sides:

* Edsel, Macaroni and Cheese

Dessert:

* Scott Groth, Lemon ice cream served in lemon halves

* Luckygirl, Pie (hopefully this won't be a lemon pie because I believe we have lemon represented during our dessert course)

* Kerry Beal, Molecular Lemon Curd

Bread:

* Tino27 ... if anyone needs a specific bread to pair with their course, please let me know and we can work together to get you what you will need.

Available Talent Pool

* Chris Hennes and wife, dish washing and prep cooks

* Tino27, prep cook

* Edsel, prep cook

* JAZ and Dave, prep cooks and clean-up

* FatGuy ... I'll add you to this list as a tentative for now until things clear up for you one way or the other

Keep the updates and suggestions coming!

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Very close to being able to lock this in.

Is it still possible to get a room at the Marriott?

Posted from my handheld using the Tapatalk app. Want to use eG Forums on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry? Get started at http://egullet.org/tapatalk

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Not committing to a specific course but I do know that in addition to some sort of cocktail, my group of 3 plus REB's group of 2 will make 1 course and possibly 2. Until we hit the market and see exactly what's available, it'll be hard to say exactly what, though.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

An update after several of your posts. I also re-organized the list slightly.

Kerry Beal and jsmeeker, were you guys thinking of doing your appetizers as part of the afternoon noshing or as part of dinner?

----

Saturday Meal Prep Plan

Afternoon Noshing

Tino27 - Bread

Cocktails:

* ronnie_suburban

* jsmeeker

Dinner

Appetizer:

* Kerry Beal, Larb

* jsmeeker, Open-faced Fried Bologna Slider on Salt and Pepper Focaccia

Courses:

* Scott Groth, Amuse: Apricot "fruit roll up" over the foie gras on spiced toast

* ronnie_surburban, course TBD

* REB, course TBD

Sides:

* Edsel, Macaroni and Cheese

Dessert:

* Luckygirl, Pie (hopefully this won't be a lemon pie because I believe we have lemon represented during our dessert course)

Bread:

* Tino27 ... if anyone needs a specific bread to pair with their course, please let me know and we can work together to get you what you will need.

Available Talent Pool

* Tino27, prep cook

* Edsel, prep cook

* FatGuy ... I'll add you to this list as a tentative for now until things clear up for you one way or the other

1. Which post contains the full weekend schedule?

2. Are there still rooms available at the Marriott?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks Janet.

Would it be possible to get a full schedule with times and locations?

I've made the hotel reservation. We are driving and making a family vacation of it, visiting friends in Canton for the first part of the week and heading to the gathering in Cleveland on Thursday. Ellen and PJ are probably not coming to most things. They may hang with us during the day on Saturday while the shopping and cooking happen, and then split before dinner. Depending on what happens Friday day, maybe they'll make an appearance. I think their plan is mostly to hang at the hotel pool while we're in Cleveland. Maybe they'll do the Sunday lunch; I don't know. I'll get the RSVPs organized tomorrow. Perhaps they can get some direction from locals on amusing things to do in the area on Friday and Saturday. We're also taking suggestions for interesting stops en route from Cleveland to New York City for the Sunday of our return, so we can sit out rush hour on I-80.

In terms of the Saturday meal, I'm happy to volunteer Kris Yamaguchi (aka torakris) to do a course with me based on what we find at the market. It would be good to have a third person to help with that. I can also help with expediting overall, especially in the absence of Tammy.

I'd still love a full schedule for the weekend all in one place, so I can coordinate with the family.

Now that Fat Guy's coming I might need to make an appearance. Can't do Saturday, but maybe could come out Thursday and Friday. Like Steven, it would be really helpful if I could see a schedule all in one place so I can determine what's possible. Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Hating that this is all taking so long, but it is what it is. And here much of it is (I'm trying to get Eventbrite done, but I'm not feeling so great yet after dental surgery):

Thurs Night - Tremont Crawl beginning with Happy Hour at 5pm at Fahrenheit, followed by Lolita (Michael Symon's restaurant) and Dante. Total cost approx $75. Street parking should be plentiful earlier, but will disappear; valet is available for about $5 and all three places are in easy walking distance of each other. If you do valet, though, I'd recommend doing it at Lolita or Dante, which are across the street from one another; Fahrenheit is a two block walk from both.

Friday - I'm putting together a lunch and meet and greet with soon-to-be Food Network Next Food Truck star Chris Hodgson, of Dim and Den Sum and Hodgepodge Truck. Approximate cost $8-12 pp. We may have some other things also.

Fri Happy Hour 5-7pm - Velvet Tango Room - you pay by the drink.

Fri Dinner - Greenhouse Tavern "family style" dinner, featuring the infamous Pig Face and Clams with Foie Gras. $65 plus tax and tip; valet if needed is $8. Pay at the restaurant.

Sat shopping: West Side Market and North Union Farmers' Market, lunch around the markets; there are many fabulous choices!

Sat Feast - The Chubby Cook, Beachwood Ohio - what time do we want to have in? I told Scott probably after shopping/lunch (around 1pm) but he's flexible. I think the cost will be $28 each; I'm just waiting for confirmation on our final cost to rent tableware.

Sunday farewell lunch - AMP 150 at the Marriott, a six course tasting by Chef Jeff Jarrett and his hotel garden, $30 plus gratuity (tax included). Also, we'll plan a Sunday dinner if anyone is in town that long (I know that at least one of you is) and is still hungry.

If my jaw is working better tomorrow, I hope to finish the last few details.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Steve - so glad you're joining us. The drive isn't that horrible if you have something to entertain you (Bob and I sing along to the Sirius radio for most of the trip). You shouldn't have any rush hour worries on Sunday.

Tammy - hope you decide to join us - there should be plenty of Marriott rooms still available; let me know if you need.

Nancy, we had talked earlier about a lunch on Thursday at an Eastern European restaurant, and I think somewhere along the way was discussion about a trip to a butcher shop. Are those off the schedule now?

I'm in for everything as I'll be arriving Wed. and staying until Mon. morning.

Which reminds me - may we have a volunteer(s) to take on beverage acquisition on Saturday? As per usual, we'll want some bottled water, soft drinks and wine. White Lotus has told me that she's bringing a fabulous selection of teas for hot and iced tea for Saturday (as well as some incredibly fresh vanilla pods and other seasonings from her trip to the far east).

An update after several of your posts. I also re-organized the list slightly.

Kerry Beal and jsmeeker, were you guys thinking of doing your appetizers as part of the afternoon noshing or as part of dinner?

----

I could do mine either. I don't really know the exact timing of stuff for Saturday. When does the shopping end and the noshing begin??

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

@David Ross - If there is interest, we could definitely do a Thursday lunch - we had considered Sterle's Slovenian for lunch on Friday, but then Chris Hodgson agreed to spend some time with us.

Unfortunately, The Sausage Shop is closed for vacation the entire time you'll be here.

As for Saturday's timing - in the past, shopping is in the morning, followed by lunch around noon, followed by assemblage at the dinner venue. But Scott is flexible about timing - so if anyone wants into The Chubby Cook earlier, please speak up.

Who is interested in a Thursday lunch? Any food preferences other than the Eastern European fare mentioned above? We have several options for Eastern European food here.

There is also a fabulous Turkish restaurant in Tremont that is open for lunch called Istanbul, which I've been dying to try - Chef Sonmez used to run the kitchen at Antalya Red Square in Lyndhurst, and his food was amazing then.

Maybe because this process has felt so much like getting teeth pulled this time, it seems that it actually took a real tooth pull to make some final progress :wacko:

Friday is most of the way organized. We'll be assembling in Downtown Cleveland, at Voinovich Park (behind the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame) at 11am for a meet and greet with Chef Chris Hodgson and lunch at his Hodge Podge Food Truck, a finalist in the about-to-begin season of "The Great Food Truck Race" on Food Network. After chatting with us about his experience making Food TV, Chris will fire up the kitchen around 11:45am. His menu features locally sourced products, and will have vegetarian/vegan items also. He's hoping to have lobster rolls on the menu August 5! Food will be a la carte and the prices range from $4-12 per item. Please note that if you can't find street parking, nearby lots charge up to $12 to park; meters are strictly enforced; there is also light rail and RTA bus mass transit available. If we get a nice day, the views of the North Coast are fabulous from Voinovich park and there is lots of room to sit and relax.

We are working on another item for the afternoon of August 5, after lunch, either a tour of the emerging Downtown Greenhouse (a greenhouse, not a restaurant, being constructed in the former Galleria Shopping Mall) or a tour of the under-construction Crop in Ohio City.

What time do people want to be "done" with scheduled stuff around downtown, so they have time to refresh themselves for our 5pm Happy Hour at Velvet Tango Room? VTR is located in Ohio City near to downtown, but a detour for those who need to return to the suburbs or the Marriott if they wish to "feshen up" for the evening.

An update after several more of your posts. I think I've gotten everyone so far. If I've put you in the wrong spot or misrepresented your dish, just let me know. Looks like we have a much fuller list now. :biggrin:

jsmeeker, I think given the number of courses we're going to have for dinner, if you don't mind, let's move your sliders to the afternoon noshing part of the day. Someone usually puts out some kind of charcuterie (which no one has mentioned this year), so a bologna slider might make a good substitution for that.

----

Saturday Meal Prep Plan

Afternoon Noshing

* Tino27, Bread

* jsmeeker, Open-faced fried bologna slider on salt and pepper focaccia

* Karen Watson, Fruit Tray with a homemade marshmallow creme and cream cheese dipping sauce paired with a nut bread

Cocktails/Beverages:

* ronnie_suburban

* jsmeeker

* White Lotus, various teas for hot/iced teas

Dinner

Courses/Components:

* Scott Groth, Apricot "fruit roll up" over the foie gras on spiced toast (Amuse)

* Kerry Beal, Larb (Appetizer)

* ronnie_surburban, course TBD

* REB, course TBD

* SamIAm (and Joyce), Thomas Keller's Carrot Stew

* Fat Guy and Torakris, course TBD

* Edsel, Macaroni and Cheese (Side)

Dessert:

Bread:

Available Talent Pool

* Tino27, prep cook

* Edsel, prep cook

* Fat Guy, expediting

I'd just like to add that I'd be happy to pair up with Fat Guy and Torakris to help out with their course. I don't know if I will be at the market on Saturday morning (because I'll probably be finishing up my bread baking), once I'm at the venue, I'll be available to do whatever you need.

Tom's last post raises a couple of important questions. The Chubby Cook is a fully stocked kitchen and has all of the food prep and service items we'll need (and Scott is generously donating all of this for our Saturday pleasures). However, we'll be renting tablecovers and more importantly, all of the serviceware, flatware and glassware we'll be using.

We are planning to rent basic table cloths and napkins, as well as:

50 14oz water goblets

50 11oz grand cru chardonnay glasses

40 10.5" dinner plates

70 6" plates

35 coffee cups

40 saucers

40 each of dinner fork, dinner knife, salad fork and teaspoon

Do we need to add either category or quantities to this list? Do we need shot glasses, cocktail glasses, additional plates, bowls of any types? Looks like we do - please give feedback ASAP so I can have our quote updated.

Tom's last post raises a couple of important questions. The Chubby Cook is a fully stocked kitchen and has all of the food prep and service items we'll need (and Scott is generously donating all of this for our Saturday pleasures). However, we'll be renting tablecovers and more importantly, all of the serviceware, flatware and glassware we'll be using.

We are planning to rent basic table cloths and napkins, as well as:

50 14oz water goblets

50 11oz grand cru chardonnay glasses

40 10.5" dinner plates

70 6" plates

35 coffee cups

40 saucers

40 each of dinner fork, dinner knife, salad fork and teaspoon

Do we need to add either category or quantities to this list? Do we need shot glasses, cocktail glasses, additional plates, bowls of any types? Looks like we do - please give feedback ASAP so I can have our quote updated.

I'm guessing that rocks glasses and martini stems or coupes would be good to have on-hand.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com