• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

I put up Eventbrite for Thursday (and I need to add Saturday) so that folks who prefer to use plastic for everything may do so. I would honestly prefer to just collect cash for those events. But please do bring cash if you are not paying by Eventbrite. The other items are "pay as you go" with the venues.

Ok.. I'll bring cash.. I'll just treat this trip like I would treat a trip to Las Vegas. Will you be able to provide change? I won't have time to get to the bank to break a bunch of Benjamins

I'm sure the restaurants can break a few bills. And everything except Saturday feast and Thursday food is "pay as you go" and all of the venues take credit cards for those who prefer them.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

You are paying me for the food segments Thursday (so each restaurant can give me one bill for the group and only have to do individual checks for drinks, which will expedite getting us to each place on time) and paying me for the Saturday Feast. Everything else will be paid directly to the venues on individual checks.

Incidentally, for those who are flying, you may be eligible for a tax refund on (some of the) taxes paid on your ticket: see this IRS page.

Q. If I travel on or after July 23, 2011, and I purchased my ticket on or before July 22, 2011, am I entitled to a refund for the federal air transportation excise taxes that I paid when I purchased the ticket? If so, will my airline refund the tax to me?

A. Passengers who paid for tickets on or before July 22, 2011, for travel beginning on or after July 23, 2011, may be entitled to a refund of the tax. Airlines are permitted to refund the tax to the passenger, just as they do in the ordinary course of business when issuing refunds for unused refundable tickets (including the associated taxes). Because the airlines and travel service providers already have the information about passenger ticket purchases and travel, and in many cases have payment card information that may facilitate streamlined refunds, the IRS has asked the airlines to provide refunds to eligible passengers when requested. However, passengers who are unable to obtain a refund from the airline may obtain a refund by submitting a claim to the IRS. Because the IRS has no information about passenger ticket purchases or travel dates, travelers who are unable to obtain a refund from the airline will be required to submit proof of taxes paid and travel dates to the IRS under procedures that are under development. The IRS will provide additional guidance at a later date.

ETA: My accountant suggests retaining your boarding passes for these flights in case the IRS requires proof of flight and not just proof of purchase.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Finally, finally, I have the Greenhouse Tavern's menu, which will be $70 per person, plus beverages, tax and gratuity and all on individual checks. This menu looks well worth the wait! All will be served family style.

1sts:

Grilled Octopus and Salami w/ white beans, garlic scapes & grilled bread

Foie Gras Steamed Clams w/ butter, red onion brûlée, late harvest viognier vinegar & grilled bread

2nds:

Dad’s Tomato Sandwich w/ Red Basket tomato, olive oil pressed onions, lemon aioli & focacia

Fifth Quarter w/ tasty bits mp

Grilled Romaine Caesar w/ crispy shallot, anchovy, lemon, crouton, curly parsley & parmesan

3rds:

Roasted Pigs Face w/ shrimp paste BBQ, raw vegetable salad, shallot mignonette, lime wedges & lettuce cups

Tomato and Fregola Summer Cioppino w/ local heirloom tomatoes, charred scallions & bread heels

Vegan Gnocchi with a Tomato Ratatouille

Sides:

Assorted Frites

Dessert:

Sampler from Pastry Chef Matt Dankos

I going to head over to Chinato and be there about 630p this evening, (if I don't get lost walking from my hotel).

I'll be able to walk over to the food truck on Friday since it's a few blocks from my hotel, but I'll need transportation for everything else.

I going to head over to Chinato and be there about 630p this evening, (if I don't get lost walking from my hotel).

I'll be able to walk over to the food truck on Friday since it's a few blocks from my hotel, but I'll need transportation for everything else.

Dave - you can get into someone's car after lunch to go to Crop and back to downtown.

Beth - would you be willing to pick Dave up and take him to VTR Friday? VTR back to GHT will be easy, and your hotel is a walk or easy ride with almost anyone after dinner.

Dave - do you know whether you want to shop at the Farmers' Market or the West Side Market on Saturday?

Dave - you can get into someone's car after lunch to go to Crop and back to downtown.

Beth - would you be willing to pick Dave up and take him to VTR Friday? VTR back to GHT will be easy, and your hotel is a walk or easy ride with almost anyone after dinner.

Dave - do you know whether you want to shop at the Farmers' Market or the West Side Market on Saturday?

I think West Side Markets fits with what I need.

May I have a local volunteer who is going to the WSM pick up Dave downtown on their way to the market? I'm planning to coordinate at the market, and I don't want to over-commit myself to too many things at once.

Also, we aren't sure about Sunday plans yet. We may have Joyce's son from Malaysia headed to our home, or not. (g)

My list for Sunday is 17 definite and 8 maybes (plus the extra Shaws as maybes). If we set the time for 10:30 to accommodate the travelers, can we get a better sense of how many maybes we still have? That's a large disparity to ask a kitchen to prepare for. And the Marriott was very gracious about giving us that great room rate.

Sunday: Amp 150 $30 includes tax

NancyH +1

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

David Ross

Connie Hayashi +1 (1 veg)

JAZ

Jeff Meeker

prasantrin +1

Kasw (Karen) +1

Luckygirl+1 (maybe)

Ronnie Suburban +2 (maybe)

Fatguy +2 off menu (maybe)

Sam & Joyce (maybe)

17 +8 maybe (+2 off menu).

Should Dave the Cook be on this list?

Edited by NancyH (log)

After a 3 week east coast/Canada road trip the kids and I arrived in Cleveland about an hour ago. My girls have decided they want to join the brunch (from the a la carte menu) and are pretty sure they also want to join the Saturday shopping, cooking and dinner. So you add them to my head count? torakris+2 for Saturday and Sunday.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

As long as it's three ounces or less and you pack it in your TSA-approved one-quart clear plastic zip-top bag :wink:.

That's for carry on. I think DR is checking a bag.

Oops, you're right. David, you'll have to leave your ammo and dynamite at home, but the sweet bean paste is probably OK.

Well, the bean sauce and the Chinese Rice Wine survived the muster of the TSA checking into my checked bag. Unfortunately, my socks did not. I left them at home. :shock:

I'll need a ride to the events this evening if someone can help. I'm downtown at the Embassy Suites.

Thanks.

David I can get you if no one else has offered. I actually have to drive right by your "neighborhood" to get to anything downtown. I'm on the near east side so not a problem at all. PM me to figure out times.

I must have missed this, I can pick him up For the WSM if it hasn't already been decided.

May I have a local volunteer who is going to the WSM pick up Dave downtown on their way to the market? I'm planning to coordinate at the market, and I don't want to over-commit myself to too many things at once.

I must have missed this, I can pick him up For the WSM if it hasn't already been decided.

We can work this out tonight; I had asked Edsel to pick up folks for the WSM; we might also need a driver for Shaker. See you all at Happy Hour - Chef Rocco Whelan of Fahrenheit was on Fox 8 News this morning making cool Grilled Cheeses - can't wait to see what he's cooking up for us!

As far as I know, I'm picking up Tracey, Karl, and Steven from the Marriott. I will be hanging out in the lobby around 4:30. I should be able to fit in 1 more, so let me know if you need a ride.