• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

Anyone arriving early for the events feel free to join me for dinner on Wednesday evening at Chinato. Nancy highly recommends it and the menu is quite interesting.

David - what time are you planning for?

I'm totally open. I'll arrive about 230p tommorrow and should be at the hotel by 330p.

Anyone arriving early for the events feel free to join me for dinner on Wednesday evening at Chinato. Nancy highly recommends it and the menu is quite interesting.

David - what time are you planning for?

I'm totally open. I'll arrive about 230p tommorrow and should be at the hotel by 330p.

Please post a time when you know, and we'll try to join you!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

We have the following items available from our garden; please post and tell me how much of what you might desire for Saturday cookery:

Basil

Thai Basil

Hot Peppers (assorted)

Chinese Garlic Chives

Thai hot peppers? Love a little Thai Basil.

So far, we have ripe Cherry Peppers and Hungarians. We have green Anaheims and poblanos; nothing specifically Asian this year. Bob will check a couple of other varieties out there tomorrow. How much Thai Basil would you like?

Enough to add a little garnish to the larb app - so a leaf or two for each.

Jeff Jarrett, like most Chefs, adores a challenge, so he's re-worked our Sunday menu to accommodate the earlier time frame as I requested - I suggested that the earlier hour called for something a little more "brunchy", and I shared with him that last year, we did a bacon tasting (please speak up as to the 10 vs. 10:30 times; we'll do the garden tour after for those who can stay) and he responded with this:

1) Watermelon Shooter

2) "Bacon & Eggs"

3) "Bacon & Eggs"

4) "Chicken & Waffles"

5) "Bacon & Eggs"

6) Peach Dessert

After a "Mwahahaha," he clarified:

First bacon and eggs is a deviled egg filled with bentons bacon.

Second will be a salad with lardons and sous vide egg. (Jeff gets his greens from local source KJ Greens and they are awesome.)

Third will be pork belly, mushrooms, potato, smoked gouda, fried egg. Almost everything in Chef Jeff's kitchen is locally and/or sustainably sourced and the man knows how to make a pork belly sing. I will even put up with mushrooms to eat this (Tom and Edsel are laughing now).

The Chicken & Waffles course will be even more cool: Buttermilk fried chicken liver, chive waffles, kimchee kraut, ohio maple gastrique - Jeff is one my my favorite Cleveland chefs because he's all about playing with his food, which is why I hope that many of you can and will stay to enjoy our final group meal.

And Jeff will of course accommodate the vegetarians (I have Mrs. Hennes and Dance in that category for this meal) and kids (and SOs who aren't as food forward) may order off of the restaurant menu, which has "kid friendly" options. Torakris- let me know if you want to bring any of yours!

Edited by NancyH (log)

Karen has agreed to pick up 2-4 people from the Marriott Thursday evening. Who needs a ride? Don't worry, we'll figure out a way to get you home after!

I can definitely use a ride on Thursday evening.

Friday evening too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We are really looking forward to this weekend. It sounds like things are coming together nicely and if the produce in Cleveland looks anything like what we are enjoying this week in Pittsburgh, there will be a bounty at the farmers markets.

I wanted to provide an update on our plans. We aren't going to join the Friday lunchtime activities. So, we are in for the Thursday crawl, Friday happy hour and dinner, and all Saturday activities. We will bring cash rather than pay on Eventbrite, if that's ok.

Also, I'm likely to have an additional guest at the VTR happy hour. I'm assuming that it's a casual event and an extra guest is fine -- if you need to know, please let me know.

Can't wait,

Ronna

Friday Lunch

11am: Food truck, Voinovich Park (pay per item, $3-$12 per)

Friday Happy Hour

5pm: Velvet Tango Room, 2095 Columbus Rd (pay by drink, note dress code)

Isn't there something between these two?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Karen has agreed to pick up 2-4 people from the Marriott Thursday evening. Who needs a ride? Don't worry, we'll figure out a way to get you home after!

is it possible to take the train/rail from the hotel to the Tremont area, then back when we are done? Some of us stating out there were contemplating that.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

We are really looking forward to this weekend. It sounds like things are coming together nicely and if the produce in Cleveland looks anything like what we are enjoying this week in Pittsburgh, there will be a bounty at the farmers markets.

I wanted to provide an update on our plans. We aren't going to join the Friday lunchtime activities. So, we are in for the Thursday crawl, Friday happy hour and dinner, and all Saturday activities. We will bring cash rather than pay on Eventbrite, if that's ok.

Also, I'm likely to have an additional guest at the VTR happy hour. I'm assuming that it's a casual event and an extra guest is fine -- if you need to know, please let me know.

Can't wait,

Ronna

No problem re VTR. Ronna - are you attending Sunday's brunch. Do you have a vote as to time?

I like the 10:30 time, or even 11. But 10 seems kind of early especially if there is to be a tour before. Not that my vote should count given my poor record of being able to commit.

Karen

I think we love you if we can be #s 2 and 3 for that ride offer :cool:

tracey n karl

oh and of course we are also staying at the Marriott Jeff

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Friday Lunch

11am: Food truck, Voinovich Park (pay per item, $3-$12 per)

Friday Happy Hour

5pm: Velvet Tango Room, 2095 Columbus Rd (pay by drink, note dress code)

Isn't there something between these two?

Friday- our meet and greet with Chris Hodgson (of Great Food Truck Race 2 - either first finalist or winner!) starts at 11am. The Hodge Podge truck will start serving at 11:45. After we are done eating and greeting, we will head over to the historic building in Ohio City for a Tour of the soon-to-open Crop Restaurant by owner/chef Steve Schimoler. Travel and tour will take no more than an hour. After that, a break until Happy Hour, though anyone who comes to Crop and just wants to just stay in Ohio City (where VTR is also) could wander the West Side Market or have a beer at Great Lakes Brewing Company.

After that, a break until Happy Hour, though anyone who comes to Crop and just wants to just stay in Ohio City (where VTR is also) could wander the West Side Market or have a beer at Great Lakes Brewing Company.

I would add Market Garden Brewery as another option. Andy Tveekrem, the former brewmaster at Dogfish Head, has moved back to Cleveland. MGB is next door to the West Side Market.

Hi everyone, I'm so looking forward to this weekend.

So far I have Steven (Fat Guy), Tracey and Karl (rooftop1000) to take to Fahrenheit on Thursday. Please let me know what time you will be ready to leave the hotel. If it's early enough, say around 4, we can take the scenic route to Tremont rather than the highway.

White Lotus - do you still need the sun tea pitchers?

Eventbrite is now live for the Thursday Tremont events! Please go here if you wish to pre-register and pay by credit card. The event is broken into three segments, in case you cannot attend all three. Please note that the prices include tax and gratuity on the food, as well as the Eventbrite fee if you choose to pay by credit card. If you aren't paying in advance by credit card, please do not buy a ticket on Eventbrite, but update the posts on this list and bring cash to pay for the food/tax/gratuity in the amounts indicated on Eventbrite; I'll be collecting at the door(s) :raz: . You can settle your drink tabs at each Thursday restaurant with cash or credit card at each restaurant.

I'll be adding the Saturday Feast to Eventbrite as soon as the pricing is finalized, and I'll post here and let you know (should be around $30 each)! We're trying to decide how many plates to rent.

All other events are pay-as-you-go with cash or credit card. As I'm sure you'll all appreciate, it is very important that we give the restaurants accurate headcounts, so please advise me immediately if your plans change.

I have a question about the Eventbrite...

Is this the preferred method of payment for the events/activites that support it? I want to be sure payment is easy and quick and painless and that I don't accidently stiff anyone.

I put up Eventbrite for Thursday (and I need to add Saturday) so that folks who prefer to use plastic for everything may do so. I would honestly prefer to just collect cash for those events. But please do bring cash if you are not paying by Eventbrite. The other items are "pay as you go" with the venues.

I put up Eventbrite for Thursday (and I need to add Saturday) so that folks who prefer to use plastic for everything may do so. I would honestly prefer to just collect cash for those events. But please do bring cash if you are not paying by Eventbrite. The other items are "pay as you go" with the venues.

Ok.. I'll bring cash.. I'll just treat this trip like I would treat a trip to Las Vegas. Will you be able to provide change? I won't have time to get to the bank to break a bunch of Benjamins

Eventbrite is now live for Saturday.

I have Eventbrite set to end ticket sales tomorrow, Thursday, at noon, so please purchase your Thursday/Saturday tickets ASAP if you wish to utilize Eventbrite and pay by credit card.