• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

As long as it's three ounces or less and you pack it in your TSA-approved one-quart clear plastic zip-top bag :wink:.

Geesh. Rules, rules, rules. Doesn't the TSA know how important Sweet Bean Paste is to the fate of the world? :hmmm:

As long as it's three ounces or less and you pack it in your TSA-approved one-quart clear plastic zip-top bag :wink:.

That's for carry on. I think DR is checking a bag.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

That's for carry on. I think DR is checking a bag.

Oops, you're right. David, you'll have to leave your ammo and dynamite at home, but the sweet bean paste is probably OK.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Speaking of packing and bags and bringing stuff from home...

Are there any specific dress code requirements we need to be aware of? I've been to VTR before, and recall them having some "rules". It's a nice place. Not some dive bar. I believe up thread nancy did mention people would have time to go from day time wear to evening wear on Friday.. Maybe that is the only night of conern? Nothing is scheduled on thursday before the Tremont crawl. And I am guessing Saturday is going to be pretty casual since it is a private affair?

The "pantry staples" request reminded me about this crazy amazing Sea Salt that I have. I will bring some along and if anyone has a dish that needs a finishing salt it will be available. Otherwise our mode of transport doesn't leave much extra space after clothes and of course my knives.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Speaking of packing and bags and bringing stuff from home...

Are there any specific dress code requirements we need to be aware of? I've been to VTR before, and recall them having some "rules". It's a nice place. Not some dive bar. I believe up thread nancy did mention people would have time to go from day time wear to evening wear on Friday.. Maybe that is the only night of conern? Nothing is scheduled on thursday before the Tremont crawl. And I am guessing Saturday is going to be pretty casual since it is a private affair?

VTR's dress code is pretty straight forward: no ripped jeans. Nice jeans are okay, but if you want to fit in with the regular crowd, I would go khaki/dockers for men and a nice polo shirt. Basically business casual. Every other place we are going to is completely casual, especially the dinner we are cooking for ourselves on Saturday.

Edited by tino27 (log)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

VTR's dress code is pretty straight forward: no ripped jeans. Nice jeans are okay, but if you want to fit in with the regular crowd, I would go khaki/dockers for men and a nice polo shirt. Basically business casual. Every other place we are going to is completely casual, especially the dinner we are cooking for ourselves on Saturday.

I would say that the Thursday Crawl destinations are business casual rather than completely casual. Especially Dante. (Though I suspect we'll be in the back room, so maybe it doesn't matter so much).

Nancy, I will double check with Steve and get back to you with our final plans.

I have two different fish sauces that I can bring if it will. Save a trip to the Asian market. Not sure what time I will get to the gathering but my guess is around 3.

Tom, I can bring a few bread baskets.

AMP 150 just put up their new website. Are any of those photos yours, Edsel and Tom? Menu looks so good!

Have we decided whether 10:30am is the best time for Sunday brunch, or should we make it 10am?

I have a late flight, so it doesn't matter to me. Plus, it's an easy to get there from where I will be.

Though I don't want it to be TOO breakfasty.. :)

I had to write this up for myself anyway, figured I'd share it. if we actually do have times for all the stuff I've marked "No Time Set" I'd appreciate an update. Also, I used Google to get the addresses, so if any are wrong please let me know. Finally, estimated total cost for the food at the event is about $250 per person, plus extra for booze (which is not included).

Thursday Evening

5pm: Fahrenheit, 2417 Professor Avenue ($11)

7pm: Lolita, 900 Literary Road ($32)

9pm: Dante, 2247 Professor Avenue ($38.30)

Friday Lunch

11am: Food truck, Voinovich Park (pay per item, $3-$12 per)

Friday Happy Hour

5pm: Velvet Tango Room, 2095 Columbus Rd (pay by drink, note dress code)

Friday Dinner

8pm: Greenhouse Tavern, 2038 East 4th Street ($73 + T&T + $8 valet)

Saturday Feast

[NO TIME SET]: The Chubby Cook, 3365 Richmond Road #225 ($30)

Sunday Lunch

10:30am: AMP 150, 4277 West 150th St ($30 + Tip)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

One last correction to Chris's post - Greenhouse Tavern will be $70-73 (still waiting for that final confirmation) not $65 - had to make sure we'd have enough pigface for 30+ people!

And $30 for AMP 150 includes tax, you only need to add beverage and tip.

Edited by NancyH (log)

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

We have the following items available from our garden; please post and tell me how much of what you might desire for Saturday cookery:

Basil

Thai Basil

Hot Peppers (assorted)

Chinese Garlic Chives

We have the following items available from our garden; please post and tell me how much of what you might desire for Saturday cookery:

Basil

Thai Basil

Hot Peppers (assorted)

Chinese Garlic Chives

Thai hot peppers? Love a little Thai Basil.

Basil

Thai Basil

Hot Peppers (assorted)

Chinese Garlic Chives

Thai hot peppers? Love a little Thai Basil.

So far, we have ripe Cherry Peppers and Hungarians. We have green Anaheims and poblanos; nothing specifically Asian this year. Bob will check a couple of other varieties out there tomorrow. How much Thai Basil would you like?

Anyone arriving early for the events feel free to join me for dinner on Wednesday evening at Chinato. Nancy highly recommends it and the menu is quite interesting.