• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

Can't remember what time brunch was last year, but I'd prefer it begin no later than 11 (though earlier is even better), with the garden tour happening before, not after.

About VTR and Fahrenheit, my +1 does not drink alcohol (well, she drinks very very little). I assume since both are pay-as-you-go, it's OK if she attends?

That is the exact reason that beverages are "on your own" throughout the weekend, so everyone pays for as much as they drink, or don't drink :biggrin:. And the Thursday prices all include gratuity and tax on the food.

As far as VTR goes, even the non-alcoholic drinks are special - Lucas can attest to the amazing root beer, and all of the mixers etc are made from scratch, so you don't have to consume alcohol to enjoy VTR.

Jeff is re-tooling the menu and will set the time whenever we want - is 10:30 garden tour/11am for food better, or shall we back it up another half hour?

Edited by NancyH (log)

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Eventbrite is now live for the Thursday Tremont events! Please go here if you wish to pre-register and pay by credit card. The event is broken into three segments, in case you cannot attend all three. Please note that the prices include tax and gratuity on the food, as well as the Eventbrite fee if you choose to pay by credit card. If you aren't paying in advance by credit card, please do not buy a ticket on Eventbrite, but update the posts on this list and bring cash to pay for the food/tax/gratuity in the amounts indicated on Eventbrite; I'll be collecting at the door(s) :raz: . You can settle your drink tabs at each Thursday restaurant with cash or credit card at each restaurant.

I'll be adding the Saturday Feast to Eventbrite as soon as the pricing is finalized, and I'll post here and let you know (should be around $30 each)! We're trying to decide how many plates to rent.

All other events are pay-as-you-go with cash or credit card. As I'm sure you'll all appreciate, it is very important that we give the restaurants accurate headcounts, so please advise me immediately if your plans change.

Edited by NancyH (log)

Serious question - if we pay you when we arrive, do we need to include the fee that's listed on the eventbrite site?

No - you only pay the Eventbrite fee if you use Eventbrite to pay for your ticket (which is why you should NOT buy a ticket there if you plan to pay at the door).

Where's the best place for Kaffir Lime leaves and lemongrass?

There are several Asian markets in the area. They almost always have lemongrass. Kaffir Lime leaves are usually available frozen, and sometimes fresh. I have a small Kaffir tree and a few stalks of lemongrass in the garden, so if you don't need a lot I can just harvest some for the dinner. It's a small tree so I don't want to defoliate it. :smile:

A few kaffir lime leaves would be great - wish I had a tree - given how hot it is here right now it would probably be one of the only things thriving. Lemon grass is usually easy to find frozen (and so nice and easy to use that way) in an asian market.

With an asian market available then we will be good for a little bottle of fish sauce and palm sugar so I won't bother to bring them along.

After my last little incident at the border I'm not going to bring any plant material with me. I'm leaving the citric acid in it's container - just hope a scale and a white bottle of chemical type powder doesn't draw undo attention!

Due to timing issues, my group of 3 is wavering on the Sunday meal, so the earlier the better, as far as we're concerned. But please don't change the start-time on our account, as it may not work out for us no matter how early it starts. Please, count us as "probable" for that event and let me know the latest you'll need to know from us whether we're attending or not.

At this point, we'll just skip EventBrite.com and pay at the door, as long as that's ok.

Thanks, Nancy, for everything.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Due to timing issues, my group of 3 is wavering on the Sunday meal, so the earlier the better, as far as we're concerned. But please don't change the start-time on our account, as it may not work out for us no matter how early it starts. Please, count us as "probable" for that event and let me know the latest you'll need to know from us whether we're attending or not.

At this point, we'll just skip EventBrite.com and pay at the door, as long as that's ok.

=R=

Jeff is revising his menu to make it more "early appropriate" - do we want to push it back to 10:30am? Is that a deal breaker for anyone (or does it not help those who've already bowed out)? Garden tour at 10, food at 10:30?

=R=

Jeff is revising his menu to make it more "early appropriate" - do we want to push it back to 10:30am? Is that a deal breaker for anyone (or does it not help those who've already bowed out)? Garden tour at 10, food at 10:30?

That sounds good to me.

Where's the best place for Kaffir Lime leaves and lemongrass?

There are several Asian markets in the area. They almost always have lemongrass. Kaffir Lime leaves are usually available frozen, and sometimes fresh. I have a small Kaffir tree and a few stalks of lemongrass in the garden, so if you don't need a lot I can just harvest some for the dinner. It's a small tree so I don't want to defoliate it. :smile:

A few kaffir lime leaves would be great - wish I had a tree - given how hot it is here right now it would probably be one of the only things thriving. Lemon grass is usually easy to find frozen (and so nice and easy to use that way) in an asian market.

With an asian market available then we will be good for a little bottle of fish sauce and palm sugar so I won't bother to bring them along.

After my last little incident at the border I'm not going to bring any plant material with me. I'm leaving the citric acid in it's container - just hope a scale and a white bottle of chemical type powder doesn't draw undo attention!

You could check with NARRIN'S SPICE AND SAUCE STAND: E-11 at the West Side Market - call them Weds between 9-3 to see if they have the fresh stuff. 216.861.0626. They should have fish sauce and palm sugar for sure, so you wouldn't need to go to Asiatown.

The Chubby Cook would like to know what time people need access to his facility on Saturday. Usually, most folk begin to assemble after lunch, but I told him we might have some earlier-birds (like the bread-making folks). Please let me know if you want in earlier and we'll make that happen for you!

Unless someone is planning on joining me on Saturday morning rather than hit the markets, I was planning on simply baking out of my apartment on Saturday morning adn bringing the already finished breads with me.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

10:30 for Sunday brunch sounds good but I still cannot commit to it 100%. If you need a yes or no in advance, please let me know (and by when).

After lunch has been typical start-time for the meal prep, from what I can remember.

My group + the REB group will make at least one cocktail, a nosh course for the afternoon and a salad course for the meal.

Speaking of cocktails, what's the liquor situation in Cleveland? Are there places to buy decent spirits or should I bring some bottles from home?

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

I'm in the same boat as Ronnie: I'd like to come to Sunday brunch and would like to bring the family but there is some uncertainty with respect to the necessary departure time. Earlier timing helps but is not an absolute guarantee. I'll get it sorted out as soon as I can.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

10:30 for Sunday brunch sounds good but I still cannot commit to it 100%. If you need a yes or no in advance, please let me know (and by when).

After lunch has been typical start-time for the meal prep, from what I can remember.

My group + the REB group will make at least one cocktail, a nosh course for the afternoon and a salad course for the meal.

Speaking of cocktails, what's the liquor situation in Cleveland? Are there places to buy decent spirits or should I bring some bottles from home?

=R=

Will the salad course be plated? Will it need a 6" or 10" plate?

=R=

Hi Ronnie,

I think the liquor store inside the nearby Giant Eagle has a decent selection of spirits. It's about 3 miles away from Chubby Chef's location. If you are looking for something specific, I can try to check for you, or you may want to give them a call:

Legacy Village Giant Eagle

25105 Cedar Road

Lyndhurst, OH 44124

(216) 920-3300 (Store)

(216) 382-4250 (State Liquor Agency)

Just a note to anyone who can bring one ... since we will be filling between four and five tables at the dinner on Saturday, we will need as many baskets for bread. Those who could bring one, it would be greatly appreciated. I should be able to scrounge up one or two, but any additional would be helpful.

Thanks!

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I have two ceramic "baskets" I can bring, if that helps.

Never having been to one of these gatherings, I have a couple of questions about the shopping. Do we just shop for our own course(s)? If we need pantry items like salt, vinegar, butter, eggs, flour, etc. will those be available?

We'd like to serve the salad course family-style, so we'll need as many larger platters as there will be tables. Fwiw, it will be a hearty salad that can be served at any point during the meal.

Thanks, for the information on the liquor store. I will give them a call as soon as I know for sure what I'm making. I just wanted to know if retail liquor in Ohio is state-controlled, as it is in some other states. That tends to limit selection greatly.

=R=

We'd like to serve the salad course family-style, so we'll need as many larger platters as there will be tables. Fwiw, it will be a hearty salad that can be served at any point during the meal.

Thanks, for the information on the liquor store. I will give them a call as soon as I know for sure what I'm making. I just wanted to know if retail liquor in Ohio is state-controlled, as it is in some other states. That tends to limit selection greatly.

=R=

1. Platters - Scott doesn't have many, so if locals can bring a few, that would be appreciated.

2. Liquor is state controlled, unfortunately. GE will get you anything that they are permitted to get if they don't carry it (they are very nice there!), if you give them a little time; I'd call them today.

I have two ceramic "baskets" I can bring, if that helps.

Never having been to one of these gatherings, I have a couple of questions about the shopping. Do we just shop for our own course(s)? If we need pantry items like salt, vinegar, butter, eggs, flour, etc. will those be available?

In the past, people shopped for their courses, and either picked up some cash from the organizer before shopping, or got reimbursed after. Our food budget is approx $20 per person, so please communicate with me about how much $$ you think you'll need for your course to make sure we stay in budget.

Though Scott has a pantry, I don't think it would be right for us to raid it, so please be prepared to bring or acquire all food related items. Are locals willing to bring some pantry-like items so we don't have to buy full packages?

Can we have volunteers to bring kosher salt and black pepper? Are there other "pantry" items that people know they need in small quantity such as sugar, flour, vinegar etc? Connie - will you bring all the accouterments for the tea? Do we need to get coffee and if so how much?

I anticipate that once we're assembled at Chubby Cook, I'll take a poll and do a grocery store run for anything else that we need that hasn't already been acquired at the markets.

Eggs are better at the Farmers' Market than the WSM.

2. Liquor is state controlled, unfortunately. GE will get you anything that they are permitted to get if they don't carry it (they are very nice there!), if you give them a little time; I'd call them today.

It's not a burden to bring some bottles from home. But I will call GE and see what they can supply before doing so.

Thanks,

=R=

Plan update - the Crop Restaurant tour on Friday will be whenever we finish with Chris Hodgson and Hodge Podge Truck; we'll head over to Ohio City to visit with Chef Schimoler. That should give everyone plenty of time to get ready for the evening's festivities.

I think Westside Market may be best for pork, garlic, ginger and green onions. I'll probably also need to take a look into Narrin's Spice and Sauce shop. Hopefully the TSA won't bust the things I'm bringing in my checked bag like sweet red bean paste and Chinese black vinegar. I couldn't find anything on the TSA website that Chinese vinegar is a prohibited item.