• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

I hope to be able to help with any prep and cleanup duties, as needed on Saturday. I will not be able to make WSM in the morning, but should be able to get to Chubby Cook in the early afternoon.

JAZ, I have a good supply of glass votive glasses that I used for the soup shooters I made for the 2007 heartland gathering. You can see them in the pictures at the link below. I would be glad to bring them if you would like to use them.

-Karen

Sorry I've been so quiet, the kids and I are in the middle of a whirlwind east coast road trip and Internet access has been spotty. I'm more than happy to put together something with Steven and Tom :rolleyes:

Nancy, do we need a specific head count for the Fiday lunch? I was thinking of bringing the kids along for that one, but I might not know until that morning.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

white lotus here, we just returned from Sri Lanka (which meant that have been having difficulties with internet abroad & also on the home front as well) a little over a week ago. My brain has been quite slow & thus we are just now reconnecting with you all here after a 3 week hiatus. Apologies for not communicating earlier. We will also be bringing some Sri Lankan estate teas as well as our usual tea stuff. By any chance, does any one have glass one gallon sun tea jars that we can use for iced tea dispensers. If we do not hear from anyone, we will bring 2 of them with us from the NW along with other tea paraphenalia that we don't expect most people to have readily available. Very much looking forward to seeing you all again & the fabulous food & beverages to come... cheers :rolleyes:

apology for duplicate posts, will someone with more brain cells erase/fix this for me. BTW,

Dance will not be at the Thursday evening event & will be flying into Cleveland sometime Friday AM. I on the other hand will be coming coming into Cleveland sometime in the PM on Tuesday, to join my roomies Kerry, Prasantin & +1 on Thursday. See you all very soon... wl

If I had Daisies in my garden I would have ripped all their little petals off these past 3 weeks asking should I Go or Not. Well, my neck is still tweaked from a good stretch on July 4th and I can't sit in the car for more than 10 min but we are going anyway.

We should be there in time for cocktails Thursday : )

See you all soon

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have some really dumb questions and forgive me if they've been answered. I really have been subscribed to the topic and have read the posts as they've come in but my brain can't contain all the information:

1. What should I do to RSVP to the various events?

2. Do we know what the menu is for the Sunday lunch, or do we have some indication of what the meal will be like? I'm trying to vet it for the family.

I will be at all events starting Thursday night. I think Ellen and PJ may come to the food truck, may hang with us during Saturday meal prep (but not stay for the dinner), and may do Sunday lunch if it's appealing to them.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Not a rush or anything, but just an FYI--if the Eventbrite payment for Thursday evening's event goes up after Tuesday, I'll be on the road so I'll have to pay for my +1 and myself at the event. But don't worry; I'm good for it!

Me too, I'm currently in Toronto and won't be arriving in Cleveland until late Weds night. I am having a hard time getting wifi here and may not be back on until Thursday.. With all the great places in Toronto I really don't like spending time in McDonald's and Starbucks just for the free wifi.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Somewhere along the thread there was mention of Public Transportation from or near the hotel anyone know more about that or ...have 2 seats available in their private transportation from the Marriott to events? : )

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have some really dumb questions and forgive me if they've been answered. I really have been subscribed to the topic and have read the posts as they've come in but my brain can't contain all the information:

1. What should I do to RSVP to the various events?

I was hoping to get Eventbrite live, but that may only happen for Thursday. I'll post the RSVP lists shortly and ask everyone to confirm I have them correct.

2. Do we know what the menu is for the Sunday lunch, or do we have some indication of what the meal will be like? I'm trying to vet it for the family.

I will post Jeff's preliminary menu shortly, but any youngsters may order off of the regular menu, which has many kid-friendly choices.

I will be at all events starting Thursday night. I think Ellen and PJ may come to the food truck, may hang with us during Saturday meal prep (but not stay for the dinner), and may do Sunday lunch if it's appealing to them.

Look forward to seeing you!

Please see above

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Not a rush or anything, but just an FYI--if the Eventbrite payment for Thursday evening's event goes up after Tuesday, I'll be on the road so I'll have to pay for my +1 and myself at the event. But don't worry; I'm good for it!

I apologize for how long it has taken to get all the info final. It will be worth it! Please bring cash for Thursday if you don't make Eventbrite - I will try to make it live tonight, but it may not happen until tomorrow. The other venues will take your credit cards (and cash).

Somewhere along the thread there was mention of Public Transportation from or near the hotel anyone know more about that or ...have 2 seats available in their private transportation from the Marriott to events? : )

tracey

Tracey - there is a light rail station a block from the hotel (and the hotel has a shuttle bus that will take you to and fro if needed). However, my next task will be to recruit some locals to help shuttle visitors as necessary. Stay tuned!

Here is the preliminary menu for Sunday's lunch at AMP 150:

EGullet Lunch

Watermelon Soup, crab, peppers, mint, cilantro

Beet and Goat Cheese Variations

Tomato, Complimentary Flavors

Scallop carpaccio, crisp vegetable salad, lemon, kimchee puree

Pork Belly (need details)

Peach Dessert (need details)

Vegetarian options will be available for all of the courses for those who want them, and younger folk may order off of the restaurant menu. The vegetables will all come from the restaurant's garden on premises, and the other ingredients are locally sourced wherever possible.

RSVPS, please. I'm going to put up a series of posts with the lists as I have them. Please respond if I have NOT accurately listed you as attending/not attending.

Thursday Tremont Food Tour - all drinks are on your own, prices below include tax and gratuity:

Happy Hour at Fahrenheit $11

Dinner P1 Lolita $32

Dinner P2 Dante $38.50

Chris H +1 (Lolita/Dante only)

rooftop1000 +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal +1

David Ross

RockNRoller

Connie Hayashi +1 (1 veg)

Kasw (Karen) +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

Jeff Meeker

SamIAm +1

prasantrin +1

REB +1

Sheb +1

BethG

Fat Guy

Edited by NancyH (log)

Friday Lunch at Voinovich Park with Chris Hodgson and the Hodge Podge Truck beginning with a meet and greet at 11am, then lunch at the truck (a la carte, $3-12 per item).

Tour of Crop Restaurant in Ohio City 3pm (no cost).

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal +1

David Ross

Dave the Cook

JAZ

Jeff Meeker

SamIAm +1

prasantrin +1

REB +1

Fat Guy

Friday Happy Hour at the Velvet Tango Room (a la carte)

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal +1

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

David Ross

rooftop1000 +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

SamIAm +1

JSMeeker

prasantrin +1

REB +1

Sheb +1

Steve Sikorski (Luckygirl’s +1)

RockNRoller

Markymark +1

Fat Guy

Maybe:

BethG

Friday Dinner at The Greenhouse Tavern 8pm. We are still negotiating menu and price point, believe it or not, but plan for $70-75 for dinner plus parking, tax and gratuity (beverages on your own).

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal +1

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

David Ross

rooftop1000 +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

SamIAm +1

JSMeeker

prasantrin +1

REB +1

Sheb +1

Steve Sikorski (Luckygirl’s +1)

RockNRoller

Markymark +1

Fat Guy

Maybe:

BethG

Saturday shopping - may I have a show of hands as to where people wish to shop? My thoughts were to have one group go to the West Side Market (where we shopped in 2007) and one group go to the North Union Farmers' Market at Shaker Square, which will have much better produce. I'll also need a local volunteer to shepard each group (I'll probably take the West Side Market). If there is anything else we want that can't be had at either place (such as wine), we should discuss how we want to organize that. Please reply to this post.

Saturday dinner at The Chubby Cook. We are still working out some of the smaller logistics, but anticipate $30 per person. People will begin to assemble and prep (and nosh) after shopping and lunch at or near the market of your choice (there are many fabulous lunch options).

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal+1

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

rooftop1000 +1

David Ross

RockNRoller

Kasw (Karen) +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

Jeff Meeker

SamIAm +1

prasantrin +1

REB +1

BethG

Luckygirl +1

Fat Guy

Our hosts - Scott Groth, Alicia Hansen, Michele LaVecchia

Nancy, what time is the Sunday lunch? Sorry if I missed that.

Also, due to a change in plans, Dave and I will not be attending the Thursday night crawl. We'll probably be at the lunch on Friday and will definitely be there for drinks and dinner on Friday, and all of Saturday's activities. Sunday lunch will depend on the time.

Thanks!