• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

Saturday Meal Prep Plan

Afternoon Noshing

Tino27 - Bread

Dinner

Amuse:

* Scott Groth, Apricot "fruit roll up" over the foie gras on spiced toast

Appetizer:

* KerryBeal, Larb

Dessert:

* Scott Groth, Lemon ice cream served in lemon halves

* Luckygirl, Pie (hopefully this won't be a lemon pie because I believe we have lemon represented during our dessert course)

* KerryBeal, Molecular Lemon Curd

Bread:

* Tino27 ... if anyone needs a specific bread to pair with their course, please let me know and we can work together to get you what you will need.

Available Talent Pool

* Chris Hennes and wife, dish washing and prep cooks

* Tino27, prep cook

* FatGuy ... I'll add you to this list as a tentative for now until things clear up for you one way or the other

Keep the updates and suggestions coming!

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I was toying around with the idea of doing a fried bologna sandwich in some form. I know they are sorta famous in that part of the country. I had my first taste of one last time I was in Ohio. It was really tasty. I thought they could be easily made into some sort of appetizer/small bite. Like a "slider". Maybe even do it open face style.

I figure sourcing bologna of proper quality should be easy to do on our shopping excursion. Look for some good pickles and the right kind of cheese, too. Maybe make mustard? I think Hennes has some recipe from "Modernist Cuisine" that could work. Possibly use bread by Tino?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Saturday Meal Prep Plan

Afternoon Noshing

Tino27 - Bread

Dinner

Amuse:

Appetizer:

* KerryBeal, Larb

* jsmeeker, Fried Bologna Slider (PM me about the kind of bread you are thinking of ... we can take that discussion off-thread for now)

Dessert:

* Luckygirl, Pie (hopefully this won't be a lemon pie because I believe we have lemon represented during our dessert course)

* KerryBeal, Molecular Lemon Curd

Bread:

* Tino27 ... if anyone needs a specific bread to pair with their course, please let me know and we can work together to get you what you will need.

Available Talent Pool

* Tino27, prep cook

* FatGuy ... I'll add you to this list as a tentative for now until things clear up for you one way or the other

Got it David, thanks for volunteering! Anyone else want to commit?

----

Saturday Meal Prep Plan

Afternoon Noshing

Tino27 - Bread

Dinner

Amuse:

Appetizer:

* Kerry Beal, Larb

* jsmeeker, Fried Bologna Slider (PM me about the kind of bread you are thinking of ... we can take that discussion off-thread for now)

Courses:

* David Ross, Stir-Fried Pork with Sweet Bean Paste and Rick Stick Noodles

Dessert:

* Kerry Beal, Molecular Lemon Curd

Bread:

Available Talent Pool

* Tino27, prep cook

Some more new news: Chef Steve Schimoler is truly disappointed that we won't get to eat his food this time around, however, he's extended an invitation for us to tour his under-construction restaurant Crop (where he says he can be found practically 24/7 these days), located in a historic building in Ohio City, during the weekend; this may be part of Friday's daytime activities. Steve is an amazing chef with many great stories and we Clevelanders have been waiting for months for Crop to be completed, so this should be a special visit.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Anyone else want to commit?

I'm happy to help out with any course.

Rick Stick Noodles

Would those be Rice Stick Noodles? :smile: I was thinking of doing the Mac and Cheese recipe from Modernist Cuisine as a side dish. We've got great local ingredients for it, including some fantastic local cheeses. But maybe two pasta dishes would be overkill (though David's dish is quite different from mac 'n' Cheese!)

Janet, gimlets will be most appreciated!

I think I'll wait until we hit the market to decide exactly what I'm making. If inspiration comes before then, I'll update here accordingly.

That said, like JAZ, I also plan on mixing up a libation or two (in between sipping gimlets, of course). I've got a few in mind that I think might be a lot of fun.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

If people are interested in cocktails, I can bring some homemade lime cordial and make gimlets. I'm still figuring out what else to make, if anything.

Yes, please do. I haven't had a Gimlet in probably 30 years. I think it's time.

An update after several of your posts...

----

Saturday Meal Prep Plan

Afternoon Noshing

Tino27 - Bread

Dinner

Amuse:

Cocktails:

* JAZ, lime cordial/gimlets

* ronnie_suburban

* jsmeeker

Appetizer:

* Kerry Beal, Larb

Courses:

* David Ross, Stir-Fried Pork with Sweet Bean Paste and Rice Stick Noodles

Sides:

* Edsel, Macaroni and Cheese

Dessert:

Bread:

Available Talent Pool

* Tino27, prep cook

* Edsel, prep cook

With all these cocktails it's probably just as well we only have one main dish volunteer so far, we aren't going to be able to remember the meal anyway! :wink:

You can't sous vide us some main course? :raz:

No way man, I'm going to stand around and watch David make a stir-fry for 30!

I was planning for 40! It's an easy dish so the biggest task will go to Hennes-frying the rice stick noodles, and Jeff-plating.

----

Saturday Meal Prep Plan

Afternoon Noshing

Tino27 - Bread

Dinner

Amuse:

Cocktails:

* JAZ, lime cordial/gimlets

* ronnie_suburban

* jsmeeker

Appetizer:

* Kerry Beal, Larb

Courses:

* JAZ (and Dave), Roasted red pepper soup with an aged gouda crouton

Sides:

* Edsel, Macaroni and Cheese

Dessert:

Bread:

Available Talent Pool

* Tino27, prep cook

* Edsel, prep cook

* JAZ and Dave, prep cooks and clean-up

Edited by tino27 (log)

I was planning for 40! It's an easy dish so the biggest task will go to Hennes-frying the rice stick noodles, and Jeff-plating.

I wonder if I can plate with a cocktail in my hand?

We'll get you one of those hats with the straws.

Yes, it's been done before.

Courses:

* JAZ (and Dave), Roasted red pepper soup with an aged gouda crouton

Just to clarify, we're planning to serve the soup as a shot, not as a full course.

Folks - please bear with me - tough week (tooth extraction tomorrow, PT for bone on bone arthritis in right knee Weds, law office event on Thurs) - I have the preliminary menu for Sunday's farewell feast, and it looks beautiful; as soon as Jeff says "done" I'll post. The Sunday afternoon meal will be $30 including tax, gratuity extra and payment will be made at the event. It will be a six course plated tasting featuring the beautiful produce of the AMP 150 on-site garden (and fully vegetarian options will be provided for each course as requested).

I'm trying to keep the Eventbrite fees and complications down, so the only event that I'll actually collect money on there for is the Thursday Tremont Crawl. Total cost will be about $70 including tax and tip for food; valet parking if you need it will be extra. I'll also have the non-pay in advance events there to help the headcounting process.

Friday's dinner at GHT will be about $65+tt and can be paid at the restaurant; parking again is not included and will run up to $8 for the 4th Street Valet. Menu in process, but be prepared for the fabulous Pig Face as well as Clams with Foie Gras.

I am anticipating time to complete this tomorrow from home after my dental surgery (office internet was down today, as if I didn't have enough tzorres).

The only "maybe" on my list is Fat Guy - Steve - I so hope you will be joining us this year; we'll have some amazing eats! Please advise when you can.

More to come very soon. Can't wait to see you all!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food