• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

Hi!

I'd like to attend some of these events:

Thurs Night - Tremont Crawl: Definitely!

Fri day - Maybe. May not be able to take off from work.

Fri Happy Hour - Velvet Tango Room - YES!

Fri Dinner - Greenhouse Tavern - Maybe.

Sat shopping: West Side Market and North Union Farmers' Market - Maybe.

Sat Feast - The Chubby Cook, Beachwood Ohio - Probably

Sunday farewell meal - Cropicana, Whiskey Island. - Maybe.

Thanks so much, Nancy!

~Beth Goldstein

Thanks for the update, Beth! Please note that Sunday's farewell meal will be at AMP 150, not Cropicana. Not sure yet whether Steve Schimoler will join Jeff Jarrett in the kitchen, but it should be a wonderful meal!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Now I'm really in! Just booked my flights. Will get in Thursday afternoon in plenty of time for the Tremont crawl and will be there through late Sunday afternoon.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Gotcha, Jeff. Any other takers? Any other "maybes" know if they are yea or nay yet?

Prasantrin, her +1 and I are a nay - other arrangements made.

Thanks for remembering us! Haven't been reading as much lately, but I'll try to check in here more frequently!

Nancy do you have an idea of what type of equipment will be available in the kitchen on Saturday? Deep-fryer, grill, flat-top, ice cream maker, et al?

Hi there.

Steve and I are both in for the group meal on Saturday. I will not be able to be part of the shopping excursion as I will be working my stand at the market but hopefully I will see everyone there! I'm not sure if I will be done with my market day in time to cook with everyone but I will sure try. In any event, I plan to bring pies!

Steve and I would also like to attend the Sunday brunch.

Steve would like to attend happy hour at VTR and dinner at Greenhouse Tavern. If I finish baking early enough I would love to join everyone at VTR but I won't be able to make it for dinner.

ah Luckygirl, I'm sorry to miss you, I'm available for just about the opposite of when you'll be there.

I plan to attend (solo) the Thursday night festivities and everything on Friday. I am a very tentative maybe for sunday brunch.

Boo :sad::(

I'm hoping to be able to finish up my day Thursday to maybe meet up with the group for the crawl but I won't know until last minute.

I hope you can make it to the brunch but if not it would be great to get together sometime. At least we should be at happy hour together!

hi nancy - as i mentioned, my wife and i will try to make the friday night events with smeeks.

Hooray!

Wining and dining in the C-Town with marky mark and his wife. It's been a while.

Nancy do you have an idea of what type of equipment will be available in the kitchen on Saturday? Deep-fryer, grill, flat-top, ice cream maker, et al?

David - the kitchen is very well equipped, but does not have a deep fryer. There will be an ice cream maker - our host Scott is planning to make some ice cream, but others may use the machine also if they wish.

Here is some additional info from Scott: To the left of the stove is a charbroiler. To the left of that is a flat top with an oven below. To the left of that are two convection ovens.

By the event, I'll have a dual commercial counter top fryer (electric) in the event that it is needed. Since I don't have it yet, it can't be counted on for mass volume food! The ice cream maker should be here within 4 days- it's not full commercial, but can make ice cream within about 40 mins.

Also, as noted today, we have a 9 shelf dehydrator and a commercial juicer available for use. On the small appliance side, we have a dicing Robot Coupe, a standard Cuisinart, a Kitchen Aid mixer with a pasta roller and a Polyscience Smoking Gun.

Also a 30 qt commercial mixer that is in the space now- it's got a mixing blade, whipping attachment and dough hook. In addition, I have 1 commercial induction burner and 1 non-commercial induction burner for additional space that can be used, and a Vita Mix and a second on the way.

The hotel room block at the Airport Marriott is activated. Please call 1-800-228-9290 and ask for a room in the EGullet Heartland Gathering block. $79 a night plus tax and we have ten of them. If we need more than ten, I need to know ASAP.

The hotel room block at the Airport Marriott is activated. Please call 1-800-228-9290 and ask for a room in the EGullet Heartland Gathering block. $79 a night plus tax and we have ten of them. If we need more than ten, I need to know ASAP.

Thanks! I've got a room booked.

I'm very much looking forward to celebrating with everyone again this year. Nancy has done a fantastic job (as she always does) in managing to line up venues, restaurants, and hotels for our out of town guests.

Given that the traditional farmers market dinner that we cook for ourselves is barely three weeks from now, we should probably go ahead and open the floor up to those who would like to spearhead a course and those that might not want to be in charge but would like to help out either by cooking, cleaning, or anything else we might need that day.

I'd be happy to help out by managing this particular list so that Nancy has one less thing to worry about.

I'll start the ball rolling ...

As I have done for the past number of gatherings, I will be happy to bring bread for the afternoon noshing and evening dinner service. I will also be available to help out another team cooking their course.

So what are other attendees thinking of doing/bringing/making?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Tom - thank you for taking this on! I haven't a clue what to cook, but I'll give it some thought now that you've corralled the issue.

Our host, Scott Groth plans to make some nibbles for us, including at least one savory: grilled apricot "fruit roll up" in the dehydrator- served over the foie gras on some spiced toast (baking spice etc) with the grilled apricot on top and a pickled cherry, and one sweet: lemon ice cream served in lemon halves - I had this at his open house and it was amazing. He's got other ideas up his sleeve also. I'm looking for a good foie gras source for him, BTW, for this - any Cleveland locals have ideas?

If I can get myself there, I will help with anything that needs to be done. I'm working on it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Nancy, will Scott's nibbles be for the afternoon noshing?

I think Scott would like to serve them as part of dinner - at least the ones I described. The first as Amuse, the second as part of dessert.

Also, Diane told me she is planning to bring pie.

If I can get myself there, I will help with anything that needs to be done. I'm working on it.

Steve - last I looked, Southwest had some very cheap fares out of LaGuardia (indirect though, you have to change at BWI).

Saturday Meal Prep Plan

Afternoon Noshing

Tino27 - Bread

Dinner

Amuse:

* Scott Groth, Apricot "fruit roll up" over the foie gras on spiced toast

Dessert:

* Scott Groth, Lemon ice cream served in lemon halves

* Luckygirl, Pie

Bread:

* Tino27 ... if anyone needs a specific bread to pair with their course, please let me know and we can work together to get you what you will need.

Available Talent Pool

* Chris Hennes and wife, dish washing and prep cooks

* Tino27, prep cook

* FatGuy ... I'll add you to this list as a tentative for now until things clear up for you one way or the other

Keep the updates and suggestions coming!

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link