• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

And while I'm here - I'd like to update the headcount for Thursday evening's Tremont Crawl.

Thursday evening Tremont Crawl:

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

rooftop1000 +1

David Ross

Boagman +1

RockNRoller

Connie Hayashi +1 (1 veg)

Kasw (Karen) +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

toolprincess

Jeff Meeker

SamIAm +1

27 - but I don't think all of you are committing to Thursday.

Maybes - please give me an update on whether you think you'll be there:

Maybe:

Fat Guy

prasantrin +1

CaliPoutine +1

LuckyGirl +1

technophile50

heidi

Our destination Thursday will be Tremont, one of Cleveland's hottest food scenes. I am hoping that we will start with Happy Hour at Fahrenheit, and a progressive dinner at Michael Symon's Lolita and Dante Bocuzzi's Dante. This will be a leisurely evening, so we will have room to enjoy all of the goodness.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Liam came to the Sunday brunch at Zingerman's last year.

See, that tells you how well behaved he was! I remember seeing him at the beginning, but I thought he had left.

I played Wii with one of the Krum grandchildren in KC. I had a good time with him.

. . . if your weekend will be ruined by the possibility of having children in attendance, then I think you should just stay home.

I think this is true as it pertains to other variables, too. As much as the folks who organize and attend this event each year do their best to plan everything out, invariably unforeseen twists and turns come up that are beyond anyone's control. I think that in order to really enjoy this weekend, you've got to be capable of going with the flow.

Unless it is decided that children are not welcome, we'll definitely be bringing our 14-year-old son. He's been to many of these Gatherings and has always comported himself admirably -- and contributed mightily. Also, he enjoyed himself thoroughly at Pierre Gagnaire, Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée and Alinea (among others), so I'm sure he'll be just fine at any of the meals that are planned for this particular weekend . . . unless the food is bad, then he might explode with rage! :raz:

Fwiw, the only person I remember throwing up at one of these events was a grown-up, so that can happen to anyone! :wink:

=R=

Ronnie - it wouldn't be a Heartland Gathering without Lucas!

Hi,

I'd RSVP'd back in January, but look to have been accidentally left off the current lists.

Please include REB+1 for Thursday and Friday dinners. We're in for Saturday's main event, too, and likely most everything else.

Thanks!

Thanks for the continued updates. My Friday Night Dinner list is now as follows - please keep the changes coming:

Friday Dinner

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal

Chris Amirault

rooftop1000 +1

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

David Ross

rooftop1000 +1

David Ross

Boagman +1

Kasw (Karen) +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

toolprincess

SamIAm +1

JSMeeker

presantrin +1

REB +1

Though the count is right, you have rooftop1000+1twice on the list.

As to the kids thing, these events have always welcomed everyone. There have been kids of varying ages at every gathering from infants to teens. The parents have always exercised excellent judgement as to what parts of the weekend are young child appropriate, the main event on Saturday and Sunday brunch tend to see the most kids. I will always be against a ban on children of any age, I have been to 6 gatherings and we have never had a problem with any kids but there were a couple adults that I would like to see banned.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the continued updates. My Friday Night Dinner list is now as follows - please keep the changes coming:

Friday Dinner

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal

Chris Amirault

rooftop1000 +1

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

David Ross

rooftop1000 +1

David Ross

Boagman +1

Kasw (Karen) +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

toolprincess

SamIAm +1

JSMeeker

presantrin +1

REB +1

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kris - thank you for the catch.

Boagman - I think the group has answered your question. It is now up to you. Shall we continue to count you in or not?

Friday Dinner

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal

Chris Amirault

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

David Ross

rooftop1000 +1

David Ross

Boagman +1

Kasw (Karen) +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

toolprincess

SamIAm +1

JSMeeker

presantrin +1

REB +1

Boagman - I think the group has answered your question. It is now up to you. Shall we continue to count you in or not?

I'll talk to Donna about it this week, and I'll get back to you. Thanks.

Not to be picky, but I'm prasantrin, not presantrin.

Rona, Ruth, prasantrin, presantrin... I'll answer to whatever.

Oops - sorry Rona. Will fix for the next go-round.

More info coming very, very soon.

Kris - thank you for the catch.

Friday Dinner

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal

Chris Amirault

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

David Ross

rooftop1000 +1

David Ross

Boagman +1

Kasw (Karen) +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

toolprincess

SamIAm +1

JSMeeker

presantrin +1

REB +1

I'm down twice Nancy. Although it is only one David Ross, sometimes I eat for two.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very sad to say that I cannot attend again this year. (I don't know why I persist in the idea that summer is less, and not more, work in my job.) A critical work project that's been dormant for a long while is now on the fast track -- and due somewhere in the August 1-10 range. :angry:

Nancy, please remove me from the lists. I will follow events from here and hope everyone has a wonderful time!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Ok folks, time for some updates. Cleveland has been a busy place lately!

First - Chef Ellis Cooley has taken his talents from Cleveland to West Palm Beach FL. Though it was just announced last week that Chef Jeff Jarrett will be taking his place at AMP 150 at the Marriott, I had already launched discussions with Chef Steve Schimoler about creating some Crop magic at his summer haunt Cropicana on Whiskey Island (about 12 minutes from Downtown Cleveland) for our farewell meal on Sunday.

Second - the venue for Saturday's Feast will be The Chubby Cook, which just opened in Beachwood Ohio this last week. Our host will be Cleveland Food Blogger and Entrepreneur Scott Groth. I'll be sitting down with him Wednesday to discuss the specifics and some things that he wants to bring to the table. The facility has a huge commercial kitchen, with 2 6-top vulcans each with ovens, among other things:

5837833337_e17620fe55_o.jpg

I'll post a separate message with the current headcounts; I'll be moving all of that record-keeping to Eventbrite shortly, with pricing info.

The itinerary is presently:

Thurs Night - Tremont Crawl: Fahrenheit, Lolita (Michael Symon's restaurant) and Dante.

Fri day - we're still working some details - the Sausage Shop is closed for vacation, so Edsel and Tom and I are working on some other ideas - stay tuned! We have several lunch possibilities, including Sterle's Slovenian House and Brandt Evans' new PuraVida.

Fri Happy Hour - Velvet Tango Room

Fri Dinner - Greenhouse Tavern

Sat shopping: West Side Market and North Union Farmers' Market

Sat Feast - The Chubby Cook, Beachwood Ohio

Sunday farewell meal - Cropicana, Whiskey Island. But it doesn't have to be "farewell" - we'll plan a Sunday dinner if anyone wants to stay that long!

Attendee lists: this will all move to Eventbrite shortly, but please update me as to the following if any info is inaccurate:

Attendees for Heartland Gathering:

Attending all or part of weekend:

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

rooftop1000 +3

David Ross

RockNRoller

Kasw (Karen) +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

Jeff Meeker

SamIAm +1

prasantrin +1

REB +1

Boagman +1

Sheb +1 – everything but Saturday

Maybe:

Fat Guy

LuckyGirl +1

technophile50

heidih

Thurs Tremont Crawl:

Who's in?

I anticipate we'll start with Happy Hour at Fahrenheit at 5pm. Lolita at 7pm and Dante after that. You don't have to visit all three, but you'll wish you did!

Fri Day - TBD

GHT list (Fri Dinner):

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

David Ross

rooftop1000 +3

Boagman +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

SamIAm +1

JSMeeker

prasantrin +1

REB +1

Boagman +1

Sheb +1

Saturday Shopping:

NUFM

WSM

Saturday Feast

NancyH +1

Ronnie Suburban +2

Edsel

Tino27

torakris

Kerry Beal

Chris Hennes +1 (1 veg)

rooftop1000 +3

David Ross

RockNRoller

Kasw (Karen) +1

Dave the Cook

JAZ

Jeff Meeker

SamIAm +1

prasantrin +1

REB +1

Boagman +1

Maybe:

Fat Guy

LuckyGirl +1

technophile50

heidih

We need to refine the numbers to ensure we have enough space for everyone (and so we don't reserve too much). Pricing should be commiserate with prior years.

Please everyone respond and confirm your status - if you're on the list, confirm you belong there, if you're not - please add yourself! Thank you!

We're interested in the Tremont crawl, but can't make it at five (flight scheduled to arrive at 4:45pm). We'll try to catch up with you at the second or third locations, depending on actual arrival time.

Chris - if your flight is on time, you should be able to make Lolita.

Rooftop is in for everything but now just a plus 1...the heck with them LOL

in for a penney and all the pounds

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association