• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: 2011 Heartland Gathering

NancyH

Cleveland, that's only a day away from Western NY. I'll need the whole year to think of something to make since I'm only a home cook with no speciality. This 2010 event looked amazing! I've enjoyed reading the ins and outs of the planning and then the many events. It all made me very jealous too.

Nancy, everyone kept looking at me when they mentioned Cleveland for 2011! :laugh:

(I suggested that you or LuckyGirl might be more skilled at organizing this sort of thing).

BTW, next year will be the 10th anniversary of eGullet.

Well it's only fair, considering that I keep volunteering you to cook with me. :biggrin:

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Whoever wrote the latest "livability index" has not eaten in Cleveland...We are in

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You guys don't mess around, planning the next one before you've even left Ann Arbor. I'd love to come to Cleveland as I'm an Akron native. Having seen the events some of you have pulled off, I'm sure our little gathering is a cake walk.

You guys don't mess around, planning the next one before you've even left Ann Arbor. I'd love to come to Cleveland as I'm an Akron native. Having seen the events some of you have pulled off, I'm sure our little gathering is a cake walk.

We were being a bit aggressive in our suggestions - wanted to make sure things got off to a good early start this time so people would have lots of time to plan.

This is shaping up nicely already! I'm looking forward to some good tamales.

Think we could tempura some shiso leaves?

I'm about to embark on a brandade kick after those little gems we had at Grange. Bought a nice chunk of salt cod today.

I may be something of a hack in the kitchen - but would love to plan on attending next years event - it would give me time to prepare what to prepare

Would love to see you there! Is it way to early to put in a vote for July over August?

Marmish - we did late July the last time we had it in Cleveland. The only reason not to - most of the best produce doesn't materialize until August. I'm game for whatever the group wants.

Marmish - we did late July the last time we had it in Cleveland. The only reason not to - most of the best produce doesn't materialize until August. I'm game for whatever the group wants.

Ah, good point. I'm sticking to my story. It's not a total dealbreaker if it's in August, but it would make it waaaay easier for me in July. I'm with Hennes

I'm for first weekend in August after the long weekend - but I want to be sure to see Marmish!!! Ah, what to choose!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

One nice thing about Cleveland is that it's drivable in a day from New York City. Maybe next year will finally be the year I bring the whole family.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You are so right FG! We stopped flying between CLE and NY to visit my family because of the expense and hassles of flying. Even with construction, we've been able to accomplish most of the road trips in 7-8 hours. Just make sure you've got your Harry Chapin CD or Ipod cued up to "30,000 Pounds of Bananas" for the portion of 80 that goes by Scranton PA and you're set!