• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taco Bell's Cantina Tacos

Chris Hennes

I had lunch at Taco Hell today, and they had some new tacos on the menu. In soft corn tortillas, no less. I was intrigued, so grabbed two of them, one beef and one carnitas. The beef was too bland for my tastes, but the onion and cilantro relish was pretty good. I liked the carnitas much better, the flavor was not bad at all, with the same relish, and a fresh lime wedge. The tortillas themselves were past their prime, but I think that was a function of this particular location and it being Monday: they were at the end of a batch, I suspect. Ardent Taco Bell haters still won't like them, but those of you who occasionally indulge might want to give these a shot.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

So many great taco trucks here in California I'll stick with them. BUT my father who is a fast food junky said that they're his new favorite lunch. Kind of depressing but maybe a trend towards "real food" if Taco Smell would just work on where the product they use comes from. Or for that manor other joints selling crap like "smoothies" that are a little fruit and a ton of sugar, argh....don't get me started...

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I rarely visit Toxic Hell (I prefer Del Taco whose's presence I don't think is much beyond the west coast) but my DW and I had dinner there about a week ago and we did not see anything about Cantina Tacos. Are they being sold in Southern California yet? Since Taco Bell is headquartered roughly 50 miles from where I live I'd expect to see them here.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I noticed the advert for these as I rode my bike past a Taco Bell the other day. They did not have grated cheese and ice berg lettuce in them did they!? What cracked me up was the "explanation" of the word carnitas on the big sign..."Spanish for pork". Hello- we are in Los Angeles, we know that :laugh:

I had them for lunch yesterday. Not bad at all. I had a nice, juicy lime wedge too. I'm not saying run out and grab them, but they're certainly not bad if you're in unfamiliar territory and you need a good taco fix.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I went to Toxic Hell for lunch today specifically to try the Cantina Carnitas tacos. I had two. I had the first one without the lime and found it to taste more of the corn tortillas than of the meat. I used the lime on the second one and it brightened up the flavor quite a bit. Still not as good as some local mom and pop places my wife has taken me but ok for a fast food place. I won't being making any special trips to have them again.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Oh how I wish we had taco trucks back here in New England. Sigh.

So I went to try these the other day and thought, as far as fast food goes, they were pretty good. I liked the relish/salsa and the corn tortilla was a nice addition as was the lime.

Being from California, I know what carnitas means but sadly, they haven't quite caught up out here. I clearly ordered 2 carnitas Cantina tacos and was asked if I'd like chicken, beef or pork! :laugh:

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow