• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stone Crab Claws

PaulaJK

For stone crab, the mustard sauce is preferable--I think it masks the iodine taste better.

Here's the recipe from Joe's Stone Crab:

4 t dry mustard

1 c mayo

2 t Worcestershire sauce

1 t A-1 steak sauce

2 T half-and-half

pinch of salt

pinch of cayenne

Mix together, check for mustard/salt balance.

Happy thanksgiving

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

actually I'd like to know where to be able to mail order quality Stone Crab claws since CRABBROKER.COM stopped selling to the general public.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I like Joes as a restaurant but somehow I get the impression their mail order prices arent that great. I could be wrong though. I'll call em.

This place seems to have good prices:

http://www.freshchoiceseafood.com/main.html

Course shipping seems expensive but I guess for Stone Crabs you pay to play.

The Jumbos are great but value wise the medium sized ones are better. They certainly dont taste any different.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

As far as Stone Crab distribution goes... I hear Joe's gets pretty much all the Florida ones but a lot of stone crabs also can be found off the Texas Gulf Coast. The ones from CrabBroker.com were really, really good and thats where he got them from.

Kings supermarkets; at least the one in morristown ,nj has joes stone crabs all the time when in season at a good price for Kings. My father the published poet said after we went for a meal at Joes, it was very good; but its cheaper just to eat your money!