• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oddball Snacks

judiu

I just invented (discovered) an oddball snack that is weird, but tasty; I decided to have some sliced colby jack cheese as a late night snack, but wanted something a bit sweet, too. I have a small package of crystallized ginger that lives in the fridge, as the house is too humid for it to stay in the cabinet, and threw a few small pieces on the plate with the sliced cheese. When eaten in combination, the soft taste of the cheese combined with the sweet 'bite' of the ginger was an above average surprise!

Does anyone else have any oddball favorites to add?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Potato chips and Hellman's mayo. YUM!

Actually, it's probably not that oddball - fries and mayo go fantastically well together, therefore it stands to reason that any other deep-fried potato product & mayo should be just as tasty together, right? :smile:

Potato chips and Hellman's mayo. YUM!

Actually, it's probably not that oddball - fries and mayo go fantastically well together, therefore it stands to reason that any other deep-fried potato product & mayo should be just as tasty together, right? :smile:

Potato chip and Duke mayo sandwiches on white bread is a Southern classic. Add a thick slice of fried bologna and I'm in heaven!

An accidental discovery for me was chocolate eaten alternately with Frito's corn chips. I think it's just the salt on the Frito's, but the crunch is a nice contrast. But it must be done in extreme moderation for the stomach's sake.

Peanut butter and dill pickles on the whitest, cheapest bread you can find. Seriously. This was a treat that my grandmother used to make for me when I was a kid. I still eat it occasionally when I get one of those cravings. It's the sweetness of the peanut butter and the salty tartness of the pickles that goes really well together.

Kinsey Millhone, the star of Sue Grafton's mysteries, eats PB and dill pickle sandwiches on *whole wheat* bread. Sometimes I do, too.

For this fall, mix very salty roasted peanuts with candy corn.

I love wheat bread for almost every other sandwich but this one. I think it has to do with childhood memories of the sandwich. My grandmother never kept wheat bread.

The only other sandwich I can't stand on wheat is egg salad. That's made with eggs, mayo, salt, and pepper, by the by. No celery or onion or, stranger still, pickles. Those go ON the sandwich once the egg salad is made in my house.

My all time favorite snack is barbecue potato chips (Ripples)

with cottage cheese - must be large curd or (preferably) home made.

Another fav, in which I now seldom indulge, is banana chips with crisp bacon.

Hanging my head in shame, I confess to the occasional consumption of:

Super chunky peanut butter, on a Ritz cracker and topped with Miracle Whip. :wub:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just invented (discovered) an oddball snack that is weird, but tasty; I decided to have some sliced colby jack cheese as a late night snack, but wanted something a bit sweet, too. I have a small package of crystallized ginger that lives in the fridge, as the house is too humid for it to stay in the cabinet, and threw a few small pieces on the plate with the sliced cheese. When eaten in combination, the soft taste of the cheese combined with the sweet 'bite' of the ginger was an above average surprise!

Does anyone else have any oddball favorites to add?

My in-laws always have bits of crystalised ginger with their evening cheese.

They usually have brie and something resembling gloucester. I think a few of their friends do it as well. I never thought of it before I saw them doing it, but it is rather nice. I'm an apple-and-cheese girl myself, especially sharp cheddar and a not too sweet apple, but I don't think that's too odd. My husband likes some sort of bread (toast, crumpet, cracker, etc) with golden syrup and cheese. And my father used to toss a bowl of salted peanuts with some cayenne.

I used to get a grilled cheese sandwich with chutney, that sweet/spicy flavor with cheese is good. Also recently had a 3 cheese panini which included mostarda, also tasty.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Maybe it's not that weird, but I've gotten some strange looks for proclaiming its awesomeness:

Sliced Apples and Roasted Garlic Hummus

It was a midnight discovery that made my wife initially skeptical until she actually tried it.

Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips and chocolate, preferably in the form of a Reese's PB Cup. The salt and vinegar with the sweet is a perfect combination.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

There is a definate pickle trend going on here. I too am a fan of the pickle peanut butter white bread sandwich but I like mine with sweet relish. I also put chunky peanut butter in the microwave for a few seconds, til it's a little runny, then I dip dill pickles in it. Grosses my coworkers out and they will usually want anything I eat