• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with itinerary!

madisonite

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are going to be getting away--FINALLY!--for a much needed vacation. This will be my first time to New Orleans and I want to make sure i am not missing anything. We will be there a week! I work for an accoladed fine dining restaurant group and have been doing a ton of research, trying to make sure I get to see and eat everything! We are staying in the French Quarter the first night and at the Chimes the rest of the time. We will have a car and will also use the streetcars often. We are extremely active .

I would love some feedback on what I have planned and what I have missed! I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and have really enjoyed reading all of the advice and trip reports! Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sunday

Dinner: Acme Oysters

Monday

Lunch: Willie Mae’s

Activity: Zoo/Carriage Ride/Explore the City

Dinner: Mila

Tuesday

Lunch: Luizza's by the track

Activity: Historic Cemetary Tour 1:00

Dinner: Cochon

Wednesday

Lunch: Pick up Muffelata at Central Grocery and take with us

Activity: Honey Island Swamp Tour/ UCM Museum

Dinner: Upperline

Thursday

Activity: 9th ward bike tour @9:30am

Lunch: Parkway Bakery

Dinner: Lola’s

Friday

Lunch: Galatoire’s

Activity: Laura Plantation

Dinner: August

Saturday

Breakfast: Brennan's

Activity: Le Monde Creole Tour 10:30

Lunch: Bayona

Activity: Insectatarium/ Aquarium

Dinner: Stella

Sunday

Brunch: Commander’s Palace 11:00 am

Go to Cochon Butcher for goodies for home. Stop for ice on way home…

Thanks so much!!!!

From the look of things you have done your homework. Just a few things I would add. Make sure you save time for a stroll through the Garden District, you could mix that in with either Commanders or the Cemetery tour. City Park is gorgeous, and is incredibly bicycle friendly, or just drive through, but poke around, its a very cool place. That would tail in nicely with your visit to Parkway Bakery. Just follow Bayou St. John.

Other places of interest would be the Ursuline Convent in the Quarter and the Presbytere. I find the Bywater area very interesting as well. Its kinda like seeing the Quarter back when it had rougher edges.

As far as food goes, not sure I would recommend Acme for anything other than a few dozen oysters, and I am not sure that's even happening right now. If that's all you had planned than that's fine. Not sure what else you have going that night, but the Green Goddess is eclectic and interesting, and its open Sunday. Mr. B's is also nice, Gumbo, Bbq shrimp, and the bread is outstanding. GW Fins is also open Sunday if I am not mistaken.

As far as what's not on the list, I really like Patois, the pheasant might be the best dish in the City right now. I just love the space, the food, and the vibe. Its what every neighborhood restaurant should be. The James Beard people were impressed as well.

Another heavy hitter for me is the Bon Ton, it's so old school, it's just waiting to be rediscovered by the food media. Its hugely popular amongst the locals for good reason. I hadn't been in some time and went with some friends from out of town and I was just blown away. They were dying to order Jambalaya and I couldn't talk them out it, glad I didn't, fantastic. My friend got the double order of soft shells with extra crabmeat. Unreal. And the Redfish Bonton (made with blackdrum) was sublime.

On the casual fine dining front, take a look at Lillette, its very near to the Chimes. Also Cuvee in the CBD would be nice for lunch or dinner. Neither will disappoint. I should also mention for breakfast, Coulis, which you can walk to from the Chimes. Also, for local flavor, Brightsens is usually spot on. Obviously, you can't go everywhere in a week though. And I don't see Hansen's on the list, that you can squeeze in.

Saturday looks a little ambitious, Brennan's, Bayonna, and Stella all in one day is a tall order, maybe swap Stanley in for breakfast, easy, good, remarkably similar food and possibly better. Your wallet will thank you as well. Anyone of the three would max me out. You're not from Philadelphia are you? Also, I think if you missed the Insectarium it wouldn't be a horrible thing, but it doesn't take long to see. You should be able to get a ticket that covers it and the Aquarium, actually look into that at the Zoo, they are all run by the same organization.

Also, scratching my head a little with how you plan to get Galatoire's and Laura plantation to play nice together. Not to mention August looming.

Curious why Lola? Its a nice neighborhood place, but there are better options. If its open Sunday, you could go. Drive out Esplanade Ave. from the quarter. There's a whole history lesson on the way.

If you need any ideas for after hours, just say the word. Although I am sure you know, your boyfriend is going to need or at least want to wear a jacket to a lot of these places. ch

A few comments below:

Sunday

Dinner: Acme Oysters

Acme is easy. Not too bad for a po-boy, and there aren't a lot of better po-boy options in the French Quarter. Without the oyster bar, it's less appealing. If you want something no hassle when you arrive, this might work. You can find better food.

Monday

Lunch: Willie Mae’s

Activity: Zoo/Carriage Ride/Explore the City

Dinner: Mila

Are you sure Wilie Mae's is open on Monday? Go on the early side, because it can be slow.

Also, be cautious in the neighborhood.

Personally, I really love the zoo. The swamp exhibit, way in the back, would be interesting for you. It's a first class establishment. I also have a two year old, so that might color my opinion.

I would suggestion a Hansen's sno-ball on the way home from the zoo, but they're closed on Monday.

Wednesday

Lunch: Pick up Muffelata at Central Grocery and take with us

Activity: Honey Island Swamp Tour/ UCM Museum

Dinner: Upperline

Upperline just lost Ken Smith, who had been the chef for about 20 years. He decided to become a priest. Keep that in mind.

Thursday

Activity: 9th ward bike tour @9:30am

Lunch: Parkway Bakery

Dinner: Lola’s

You know the 9th Ward and Parkway aren't close, right?

I agree with others that Lola's could be skipped. Perfectly fun place. The Spanish food is fine, but nothing that ambitious.

Friday

Lunch: Galatoire’s

Activity: Laura Plantation

Dinner: August

Keep in mind that many people spend three hours at Galatoire's for lunch.

Saturday

Breakfast: Brennan's

Activity: Le Monde Creole Tour 10:30

Lunch: Bayona

Activity: Insectatarium/ Aquarium

Dinner: Stella

That's a lot of food in one day. I wonder if breakfast at Brennan's will kill your appetite?

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

You've really packed the itinerary. Keep in mind that it's very hot and humid, and it seems even hotter in the qtr. Pack light clothes. Think white, cotton and linen -- material that breathes.

The restaurants you've chosen are all very nice with the exception of Acme. You might want to scratch that one, and Lola's, too. And I don't believe Willie Mae's is open on Monday. Galatoire's could be your lunch restaurant AND your afternoon activity on Friday. Arrive early.

Have fun!

Rhonda