• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biggest Mistake Home Cooks? Make

rich

This is the time of year when there is a lot of eating at home (either yours or a friend/relative). What is the biggest mistake made by home cooks?

I know when I first started cooking it was overspicing/"herbing" dishes.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Not allowing meats and poultry to rest before carving.

Guilty as charged......every time we cook a turkey or roast I vow to organize my time better so I can let it rest, yet I always seems to be carving it five minutes after I take it out of the oven.

Just like Linus and the Great Pumpkin: this year, it will be different. :biggrin:

Not allowing meats and poultry to rest before carving.

Interesting. My mom cooks Thanksgiving dinner and she "over rests" the bird. By the time I get to carve the poor thing, I feel like letting it rest in peace.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Rich, LOL!

Actually, the problem with "rest period" in our kitchen is my husband -- he has a thing about having hot food hot, which is a good thing but is also a very nudnik thing. He hovers around saying "the turkey's going to get cold!" and threatens to get in there and do the carving himself......which would result in a hot, yet unattractive bird :wink:.

Maybe I need to distract him with many glasses of wine and tending the fire.

(edited for redundancy and repetition)

Edited by bushey (log)

Cockiness. My Exec Chef always swears he's going to stick with the menu plan until about 45 mintes before the guests arrive. Then he decides that we need:

1)A loaf of his famous artisanal :biggrin: bread.

2)Puff pastry cheese straws...from scratch

3)Another vegetable side

4)That interesting Latvian (or whatever) fish ap he saw in an obscure cookbook which he now has to find before he starts cooking.

5)The (already) decorated dessert is "just too plain looking"...out come the pastry tips

6)Trotter's lime-caramel ice cream would be woderful with that tart. He's right, it would, but could we please change our clothes and give the house a lick and a promise instead?

Every time I find a gray hair I blame it on the hour before our last dinner party.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I forgot - dull cutlery

Whenever i'm lending a cooking hand - I travel with my own knife set and wood board (hate the glass ones)

not having the right tools to do the job.

Not just dull knife but wrong knife.

Not enough counter space.

Stove and or burners don't get hot enough.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

I know when I first started cooking it was overspicing/"herbing" dishes.

When I started cooking I had the opposite problem. Was so afraid of making things too salty or too spicy that I under-seasoned.

I also have a distinguished record of having consistently dull knives......

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Like Tolstoy said about each unhappy family being unhappy in its own way, novice cooks I have known make unique mistakes.

Overall though I think a widely-shared problem is, as previously mentioned, a reluctance to jack up the heat. Also previously mentioned, throwing in everything but the kitchen sink.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

And just how are you using the word artisanal? :laugh:

Rich Schulhoff

Misplacing the question? mark

That was just to get your attention.

Did it?work :biggrin:

Rich Schulhoff

And just how are you using the word artisanal? :laugh:

In the words of the respected Jaybee:

"not mass produced and therefore worth a premium price." :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com