• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New City/Rockland County

richw

I’ll be in New City/Rockland county this weekend visiting family. Last time I was in the area I visited Hudson Valley Foie Gras, and was treated to a fantastic educational tour by Izzy, one the founders. I would to like to visit some other food businesses in the area and was hoping somebody would know of a few. This could include recommended restaurants, food emporiums or farms.

Thanks,

Rich

South Florida

• 2 years later...

I thought I would bump this up in the hopes of finding some interesting places to visit this weekend while I am back in Rockland county. I was thinking about trying to get to China 46 for the Sunday brunch. Any casual Korean food would be great too. Also, I dig Asian mega markets since we're lacking good ones in South Florida. Any ideas?

TIA,

Rich

Edited to add: My knowledge of the area's geogoraphy is limited but it's my understanding that the area is right next to Northern New Jersey so, please suggest anything "worth a drive" within an hour's time. Thanks!

Edited by richw (log)

South Florida

Concklin's Farm (Pomona) for pies and apple-cider doughnuts

The Potato King (New City, Main Street). -- laugh all you want, but they have the best coffee bar in town. On my last trip back home, I devoted far too much rental car mileage to find someplace, anyplace for my iced mocha fix. It's a far drive to a Starbucks from most of Rockland. The fries are pretty good too, with something like 40 different kinds of dipping sauces.

La Lanterna (Nyack, Main St. & Broadway intersection) - Italian cuisine

Legal Sea Foods - it means going to the frappin' Palisades Mall, but still excellent fish

Edited by alacarte (log)

Thanks for your help on this. I have a taste for Korean food, or maybe a good bowl of Pho--two things that are kinda uncommon where I live. I'd also like to visit some Asian mega-markets since the ones we have in South Florida are kinda sorry. Anything in Northern New Jersey that is close to Rockland county is fine too.

TIA,

Rich

South Florida

I'd also like to visit some Asian mega-markets since the ones we have in South Florida are kinda sorry.

I know what you want: Mitsuwa in Edgewater. About 15 minutes south of the NY/NJ line down the PIP. Get off at exit 1 and go south on River Road about 5 miles. Click on the Web site and you'll have to download a PDF. (When are people going to stop with the PDFs?)

Also, for Korean, every time I have driven by Homung Nangmyom restaurant in Closter (570 Piermont Road, 201-750-1010) in Closter, there are tons of cars outside. I can't personally vouch for it though.

Google results.

I do quite like the food at Weg Jeon Garden restaurant.

Pho around here stinks. If someone can help me on that I'd be thrilled.

lj

Edited by Liz Johnson (log)

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

• 4 months later...

So I'll be back in New City (Rockland county) again this weekend. I've yet to find anything interesting or ethnic to eat around there. Not even a good asian market or ethnic food shop of any kind. I'm desparate here...any ideas?

TIA,

Rich

South Florida

Thanks.  Video Guadalajara sounds particularly interesting to me.  Are there any asian mega markets in the area? 

Rich

If you want to make the 30 minute run down the Palisades to Han Ah Rhum in Little Ferry or Ridgefield (NJ) you'll be very happy.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

There's also a Han Ah Rhum in Englewood, Exit 1 on the Palisades, as well as a bunch of worthwhile places to eat. If you post on the New Jersey board I'm sure you'll get a number of suggestions.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Thanks.  Video Guadalajara sounds particularly interesting to me.  Are there any asian mega markets in the area? 

Rich

I wasn't able to make it to Mitsuwa last time I visited. I will try to make it this time.

Thanks again

--Rich

South Florida

Rich

If you want to make the 30 minute run down the Palisades to Han Ah Rhum in Little Ferry or Ridgefield (NJ) you'll be very happy.

This place sounds interesting. I'll have to check if Ridgefield or Englewood is closer to me. I'm lost up there...

South Florida

As a child of Rockland County (lived in Blauvelt from age 1 to age 8, thereafter in Nyack till graduation from high school in 1975), I find this conversation fascinating. Don't have anything substantive to add regarding fine culinary destinations there, as I haven't been back except for a brief visit a couple of summers ago, but just wanted to throw in my appreciation for the nostalgia-trip.

Admittedly, I was a kid with kid-tastes during my Rockland years, but at least in my recollections the county was pretty darned sleepy culture-wise in those days. It was only after I graduated and left for college that Nyack went and got "discovered" or whatever. When I was growing up there, seemed like half the stores downtown were either going out of business or already gone. Now the joint is jumping with bars and cafes and galleries and antique shops--and live music venues, even! Funny how it goes. If Nyack had been that lively while I was still living there, well ... I probably would have left anyway. But I wouldn't have been so all-fire *desperate* to do so. :biggrin:

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I'll be trekking back up to New City in a few weeks and thought it wouldn't hurt to check in for some badly needed suggestions on where to dine in the area. While I'll be staying in New City, I'm willing to drive up to 45 minutes each way for something special.

I'd like to take my wife to have one of those deep fried New Jersey "ripper" hot dogs

I'm also interested in ethnic treats including:

Korean fried chicken

Dim sum

Authentic Chinese (China 46)

I've heard that Mitsuwa is pretty cool - is it worth the drive?

Last time I didn't make it to Video Guadalajara but hope to this time.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can share with me. I'm a total tourist up there and don't now where to begin.

-rich

South Florida

Surprised no one's mentioned the Nanuet Hotel for pizza. Been going there for 20+ yrs, visiting my grandparents in New City.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Rich have you made it to Barnstormer BBQ in Newburgh yet?...luv it

and dont forget Amazing Hotdog in Verona NJ

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association