• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

anchor steam vs sierra nevada

baruch

• 3 months later...

I must be with the 'hoppy' crowd because I've always preferred Sierra Pale Ale to Anchor Steam.

The Liberty Ale does sound intriguing, though. I'll have to check it out.

Sierra Nevada. Had two kegs of it up in the mountains of Colorado for a three day wedding for my daughter. The 10th glass was just as good as the first one. To this day, a draft Sierra is the way to go - I picture the snow-capped Rockies every time I have one.

UPDATE:

by a small margin, it does appear that sierra nevada edges out anchor steam.

therefore. does this, in fact, make sierra nevada the "best" overall beer readily available within the entire USA?

A year ago I woulda said Anchor Steam, maybe out of snobbishness. But now it's Sierra Nevada all the way, made possible by a neighbor who installed a discreet never-empty SN keg setup, always icy cold. What a good beer SN is!

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

A year ago I woulda said Anchor Steam, maybe out of snobbishness.  But now it's Sierra Nevada all the way, made possible by a neighbor who installed a discreet never-empty SN keg setup, always icy cold.  What a good beer SN is!

thats a very interesting comment which seems, for some reason, quite prevalent among beer drinkers. i wonder why? maybe its the marketing, but rarely, if ever, see any advertising for either sierra or anchor; although anchor is usually more expensive for some reason.

anyway, great comments

• 2 weeks later...
To this day, a draft Sierra is the way to go - I picture the snow-capped Rockies every time I have one.

LOL, how about the snow-capped Sierra Nevadas??

LOL is right. The wedding was at a lodge just outside of Winter Park, so it was Rocky Mt Nat'l I was swilling to. If she ever gets married again (God forbid) we will do the next one farther West.

• 2 months later...

Sierra Nevada, hands down. I have tried and tried to like Anchor Steam, and I never could. Never tried their Liberty Ale, or other types, EXCEPT Anchor Christmas, which is quite possibly the best winter holiday beer I can get, year in and year out. If you can find it in magnum bottles, so much the better. It actually keeps and sometimes improves in the bottle for years if properly stored.

When November rolls around, I'd like to see a thread discussing this years crop of winter/holiday beers. The one that I have had once or twice but isn't always available in Washington, D.C. is Mendocino Brewing Company's Yuletide Porter, though we can easily get their Red Tail, Blue Heron and Black Hawk brews. We D.C. denizens are also unfortunate enough to be deprived of everything from Fort Collins Brewing Co. ("Fat Tire", et. al..)

Anyway...Sierra Nevada, including their Wheat Beer (very refreshing with a lemon wedge, too) and their Bigfoot as well.

Sierra Nevada, hands down.  I have tried and tried to like Anchor Steam, and I never could.  Never tried their Liberty Ale, or other types, EXCEPT Anchor Christmas, which is quite possibly the best winter holiday beer I can get, year in and year out.  If you can find it in magnum bottles, so much the better.  It actually keeps and sometimes improves in the bottle for years if properly stored.

When November rolls around, I'd like to see a thread discussing this years crop of winter/holiday beers.  The one that I have had once or twice but isn't always available in Washington, D.C. is Mendocino Brewing Company's Yuletide Porter, though we can easily get their Red Tail, Blue Heron and Black Hawk brews.  We D.C. denizens are also unfortunate enough to be deprived of everything from Fort Collins Brewing Co. ("Fat Tire", et. al..)

Anyway...Sierra Nevada, including their Wheat Beer (very refreshing with a lemon wedge, too) and their Bigfoot as well.

I think you refer to New Belgium Brewing Co. A few weeks ago we had Kim Jordan and Jeff Lebesch from New Belgium at a beer class we put on for Smithsonian in Washington, DC. And of course they brought beer!

Anchor Liberty Ale is a wonderful beer, quite stunning in its hoppiness way back when, although surpassed by many superhoppy brews today.

If you like Fat Tire, look for De Konninck from Antwerp. Also Allagash Summer Ale. Rare Vos, from Brewery Ommegang in NY, is a bit bigger, but similar in style.

• 1 month later...

Anchor Steam X10. Liberty Ale on tap is verrry good.

"Sierra Nevada, hands down. I have tried and tried to like Anchor Steam, and I never could. Never tried their Liberty Ale, or other types, EXCEPT Anchor Christmas, which is quite possibly the best winter holiday beer I can get, year in and year out. If you can find it in magnum bottles, so much the better. It actually keeps and sometimes improves in the bottle for years if properly stored.

When November rolls around, I'd like to see a thread discussing this years crop of winter/holiday beers. The one that I have had once or twice but isn't always available in Washington, D.C. is Mendocino Brewing Company's Yuletide Porter, though we can easily get their Red Tail, Blue Heron and Black Hawk brews. We D.C. denizens are also unfortunate enough to be deprived of everything from Fort Collins Brewing Co. ("Fat Tire", et. al..)

Anyway...Sierra Nevada, including their Wheat Beer (very refreshing with a lemon wedge, too) and their Bigfoot as well. "

You should try Asss Christmas beer from Norway...... awesome

Gonna name my children Sierra & Nevada. Hope they're girls! Of course I love Anchor too, but I gotta go with Sierra. My local is Stone - great pale ale. Also love the Pike from Seattle.

If it ain't fried it ain't food!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

It's kinda wierd tha this thread should show up today. I was at Oceanaire in DC yesterday evening for happy hour and the beer taps were briefly out of action. They had to give me abottle of Anchor Steam. By the time was finished with the AS, the taps were back in operation and I had the SNPA on tap. I still like the SNPA better after having had an opportunity to compare the two back to back.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Anchor Steam-draft- as close to the brewery as possible (in the brewery if possible).

It is one of the best beers on Earth and Fritz Maytag will rightfully take his place next to Bacchus when he departs this Earth.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This is just a little note on the side about the cap on SO's Troutfly brew from Yellowstone Brewing Company;it is a mini-sized little cowgirl astride a trout fly with a lariat, under her it says Wild Fly Rider, and on top it says BITE ME!

I glued a bunch of these to magnets for the fridge.

Okay--your tv will now be returned to you.

Anchor Steam.Draft. Nuff said.