• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

anchor steam vs sierra nevada

baruch

for the "best" beer one can EASILY purchase in the US, which is the better selection: anchor steam or sierra pale ale??

obviously aware of a zillion others, BUT after reading, tasting (the best part); appears that a rough consensus emerges between the above two with the deciding factor being "easily able to purchase!!! san miguel dark supposely considered superior, BUT can not find, even in manhattan!!!

thoughts appreciated.

I am particularly fond of Anchor Steam, despite it being occasionally maligned on these pages. It's a solid, drinkable beer that doesn't make you pay later. That's my vote.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Of the two breweries, I prefer Sierra Nevada's flagship beer, the pale ale over Anchor Steam's Steam Beer.

However, when you get past the flagships and into all their other beers, I prefer Anchor Steam's catalog (mmm... old foghorn.. best beer I've yet had).

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

I think both are excellent. It pinned down for a choice, I would say Anchor Steam by a nostril.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I've had both many times, and comparing them is a little like comparing apples and oranges. I prefer Sierra Nevada; but I like this style, which is American Pale Ale (American hops like Cascade as opposed to Fuggles or Kent Goldings for an English pale Ale). Anchor steam is sort of an Amber Lager; actually a hybrid. They use a lager yeast, but ferment at warmer ale temperatures.

A better comparison would be between Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Anchor's Liberty Ale. The Liberty Ale is considered stylistically between an American Pale Ale and an IPA. The Liberty Ale is better, in my opinion, than Sierra Nevada. In fact, out of the hundreds of beers I've tried, Liberty Ale is in my top three, along with Great Lakes Dortmunder (Cleveland) and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (England).

John the hot dog guy

Where's the love for Red Hook ESB? Since its being made on both coasts now, I would think it qualifies as widely available? Maybe I'm just a homer, but I much prefer it to either Anchor or Sierra Nevada.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Where's the love for Red Hook ESB?  Since its being made on both coasts now, I would think it qualifies as widely available?  Maybe I'm just a homer, but I much prefer it to either Anchor or Sierra Nevada.

Red Hook is great, but bitters just doesn't have the universal appeal of a good pale ale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

erie and John have hit on it. While I am a fan of Sierra Nevada's pale ale to the point that it is generally my default purchase along with Guinness in the new bottles, Anchor's Liberty Ale is superb. Liberty probably gets my vote over Sierra.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no question that Sierra Nevada is the better of the two in my estimation. Although one cannot truly compare them stylistically, the hoppiness of Sierra makes it a fave on a hot California day. Then there is the mother of all cervesas, The Black Butte Porter! Mothers milk in the bottle. Like nothing else I've tasted, but alas, not readily available to most on the opposite coast. Buy Sierra, you won't go wrong.

Despite my earlier post, I've been leaning toward Sierra lately. Been buying it a lot since Anchor's hard to find in my area. Plus, Sierra's got that added bite with the 5% alcohol. Anchor's still a good beer, though. It'll always be in my top five.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Then there is the mother of all cervesas, The Black Butte Porter! Mothers milk in the bottle. Like nothing else I've tasted, but alas, not readily available to most on the opposite coast

Ah, yes, unfortunately, not available here in the Midwest either--that I have seen. But it is the greatest. Sierra Nevada for me, please.

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 3 weeks later...