• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what is your favorite fruit you love in a wine...?

Don Giovanni

what is your favorite fruit you love in a wine...???

I love Blueberry as long as you have balance ... like no syrup please...

Peach if it is clean again no syrup please...

disclosure I make these wines and they sell wonderfully... what I need to know is ... what else besides those two should I try to make...?...

I have soaked plums in prosecco. They are delicious. Since you are in the Finger Lakes region, they are probably almost out of season (I'm in Maine right now and we picked the end last week).

A winery near us (Blacksmith's) does rhubarb and elderberry. I seem to remember them having cranberry near the holiday's as well.

Good luck!

Here in Michigan, we're big on cherry wine, which can be good if the sweetness is kept under control. Here's one example.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I love the honeyed sort of wild profile that golden delicious apple brings, with white wine. It's something I've had in a dessert, once, a long time ago, and haven't forgotten it. It's gotta be golden delicious, none of the other apple varietals have the same sort of sunny honey/fruit flavor.

so far I am thinking of # 1...Cherry # 2 Cranberry ...

the Cherry would have to be tamed on the residual sugar side or it would be too sweet... the Cranberry would go great during the holidays especially Thanksgiving...

Blackberry wine hum... I do a Wht cab sauv.. this sings of blackberry so I have that covered...

keep them coming ... fresh ideas are always welcomed... TY... Cheers !!!

I love your blueberry wine. Don't stop making that!

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I had a really good sparkling pomegranate wine from Tomasello that had the wonderful flavor of homemade grenadine. I really expected to like their cherry and raspberry but found them lacking in fresh fruit flavor.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

After I posted this am, I went to the market and thought of your wines. I think you could do a lovely crisp pear. Also, I would play around with black and red currants and perhaps apricots.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a really good sparkling pomegranate wine from Tomasello that had the wonderful flavor of homemade grenadine. I really expected to like their cherry and raspberry but found them lacking in fresh fruit flavor.

I can do fruit wines... my BB won a gold ... Peach came in a metal winner too... I have the skill ... just need guidance.. as I am just a simple farmer who lover dry Reds and makes big Dry reds... they won Silver metals ... the problem I thing is they were too big and needed more decanting time before the wine comp... back to the fruit wines...

I think I can make a living just off them... G-d I love making wine ... Cheers !!!!

• 5 months later...

I am a blackberry fan, but a raspberry or a fig would be wonderful!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Well, if we're talking about cut up fruit to place in your glass of wine, and leave it in there as you are refilling it throughout the meal, and then eat at the end, well- I'm going to have to go with the 'Daddy-O' method ("he's got apples and peaches for you"). Peaches being the #1 choice, naturally.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."