• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Here come the tomatoes

jgm

Melt some unsalted butter until it browns, add sliced tomatoes. Fry for 1 minute per side. Plate. Sprinkle with sea salt and chopped oregano.

And I was wondering what to serve with a quiche tomorrow - thanks!

• Like 1

I can't say "I'll never buy store tomatoes" but I certainly appreciate the difference, and love the times when the fresh ones comes out.  What variety are those multicolored tomatoes?  They'd be beautiful even without the benefit of your plating and photography.

Ananas Noire. Stuning!

They taste better then they look.

dcarch

• Like 1

I will never buy store tomatoes.

Try Campari or Cherub tomatoes.  From your friendly neighborhood supermarket.

ETA: ...and what's wrong with good canned tomatoes, San Marzano or otherwise?  Some recipes even specifically call for them.  Even the Marcella Hazan simple tomato sauce as published uses such a thing, although in-season tomatoes can be used as a substitute.

Edited by huiray (log)

not growing them, but bought some ugly ones at the Farmer's market last night. Farmer at this stall usually has a few of those huge, scarred, blobby ones (heirloom varieties) in a box separate from the cartons of round slicing varieties and egg-shaped romas...he seemed pleased that I bought the misfits. Ate one last night chopped and mixed with some leftover grilled zucchini and celery. Held true to my theory that uglier tomatoes are tastier. I want to make sure he continues to bring whatever heirloom varieties he can grow, since most of the farmers give up on them due to low yield. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Purple Cherokee that he had last week.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Soba, "Tomatoes, butter, oregano, sea salt " a great way to enjoy heirloom tomatoes. Simple, and elegant.

Paul, "Celebrity and Roma's --Roasted". Beautiful! I grew both last year, not this year.

-------------------------------------------

A very interesting way to enjoy fresh tomatoes, after all it can get boring making salads, salads, salads.

If you have a way to cold smoke fresh tomatoes. Amazing! I have a hot/cold smoker. 4 hours, light smoke, at room temperature.

dcarch

blondetomatoessmoked3_zpsc77cfcf0.jpg

blondetomatoessmoked2_zps27a732d6.jpg

blondetomatoessmoked_zpse2714328.jpg

• Like 1

I plant Ananas Noir every year--my absolute favorite.  They are ugly on the outside, but quite pretty sliced, and so tasty.  I like to dress them with a garlic/olive oil/vinegar dressing.  Mash the garlic clove into a paste with a teaspoon of salt, son't use much vinegar--maybe a tablespoon--and a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  Let the salad sit while you prep the rest of dinner.  Put some cukes in if you have them.  

I have been roasting tomatoes for sauce--single layer on a half sheet pan, with celery, onions and garlic.  Bake for an hour or so at 400 degrees.  I use an immersion blender to puree, adding about a quarter cup of cider vinegar per sheet pan. I pressure can in half pint and pint jars.  The half pint is just the right size for making a pizza or pouring over a meatloaf.

sparrowgrass

No freaking sun at our house so no tomatoes :angry: .

I HAVE been supporting a local farmer who grows a few heirlooms including Mortgage Lifter, Pineapple, Purple Cherokee and Juliets.  I DO wish that I could find a way to grow the Rutgers :http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/WhatabouttheRutgersTomato.htm.  I love BLTs.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Interesting that I seldom see GWR (green when ripe) tomatoes sold, not even in farmers markets. I guess people just don't think GWR tomatoes are ripe tomatoes.

GWR tomatoes are delicious, sweet, and productive. The problem is they are difficult to find in a jungle of tomato plants, and that's a good thing because birds can't find them either. :-)

dcarch

A couple of GWR tomato dishes.

greentomatoessalad.jpg

Salad, peeled GWR tomatoes

greentomatoessalad2.jpg

greentomatoessalad3.jpg

bruschetta on home made garlic bread

bruschetta2.jpg

bruschetta.jpg

• Like 3

One variety which is RARELY mentioned is the Japanese Trifele tomato, a black variety.  A search on eG shows 10 posts, 5 of which are posts by me, 4 by an eG member called 'viva'.  It's a lovely and scrumptious variety and should be both cultivated and eaten more widely.

ETA: 

Black Krims are getting rarer and rarer nowadays...pity.  I tried to grow them on occasion but never had much success in getting more than a few fruits.

Another variety which I used to get (amongst MANY others) from the "Tomato Lady" at my farmers' market but no longer do because she is not there anymore is Amazon Chocolate.  Quite a wonderful variety.

Edited by huiray (log)

To amuse:

I read that cooked tomatoes were better health wise, as you could gain more of their excellent nutrients,

so, in that way I went over to tinned tomatoes for my breakfast, but found that the price of a tin of 

tomatoes had recently gone through the roof.

Amazon came to my rescue and here is a tin.

I had to buy six tins, and each tin clocks in at 2.5Kg, but the contents are superb and the Queen of England buys

them (look at the Royal Cipher)

IMG_1222.JPG

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I see (and buy) Green Zebra tomatoes quite frequently in my local farmers' market.  :-) 

I have stopped growing Green Zebra. Too easy to get BER, too acidic and too small. I call it "Green Zebahhhh" :-)

One variety which is RARELY mentioned is the Japanese Trifele tomato, a black variety.  A search on eG shows 10 posts, 5 of which are posts by me, 4 by an eG member called 'viva'.  It's a lovely and scrumptious variety and should be both cultivated and eaten more widely.

ETA: 

Black Krims are getting rarer and rarer nowadays...pity.  I tried to grow them on occasion but never had much success in getting more than a few fruits.

Another variety which I used to get (amongst MANY others) from the "Tomato Lady" at my farmers' market but no longer do because she is not there anymore is Amazon Chocolate.  Quite a wonderful variety.

Yes, a nice variety to have in the garden, I grew it last year.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

To amuse:

I read that cooked tomatoes were better health wise, as you could gain more of their excellent nutrients,

so, in that way I went over to tinned tomatoes for my breakfast, but found that the price of a tin of 

tomatoes had recently gone through the roof. Amazon came to my rescue and here is a tin, I had to buy

six tins, and each tin clocks in at 2.5Kg, but the contents are superb and the Queen of England buys

them (look at the Royal Cipher on the tin)

attachicon.gifIMG_1222.JPG

Product Of Italy, I understand there is a good chance that the tomatoes are from China.

I am not sure it is that important to consider cooking tomatoes for more nutrients. It is more important for me to think what's good tasting.

I think we are over nutriented in general.

dcarch

I have stopped growing Green Zebra. Too easy to get BER, too acidic and too small. I call it "Green Zebahhhh" :-)

Yes, a nice variety to have in the garden, I grew it last year.

dcarch

Just curious, which variety are you referring to?

My tomato bush is in a sunny warm living room , so far no red tomatoes, just green slowly growing bigger,  I fed them   nutrasticks , I hope that works.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I wish I had a picture of lunch today but my daughter got hold of my phone and erased a lot of pictures.

I made a tomato soup,  Supreme tomato soup to exact according to a fancy old cook book I have.  

First you  slice 1 kilo of tomatoes, then marinate them in  oil,  with oregano, thyme , pepper and salt for 1 hour, then you  bake them on a sheet of aluminium foil in the oven for 2½ hour and  there after you leave it to set for 30 min and then  push throw a sieve.  You now heat  cream  and when it nearly bubbles, you whisk in the tomatoes and taste...

I handed over a spoon of soup to  my husband who happily said  Where did you get hold of Heinz tomato soup?....   Yeah, 4 hours labour produces something that  taste like tinned soup.. 

• Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

You are many things dcarch but boring certainly isn't one of them as far as food is concerned. Your ingredients, your plating, and your photographs are all inspiring to me.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog