• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu help for "Polite" little tastings

smilingal

I am responsible for providing tastings after a show in our local theater which will be a comic tour-de-force about a teacher demanding proper manners from her students. I would like to provide different "tastings" which might reflect the subject matter. Apart from little cucumber sandwiches on crustless white bread I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and recipes. TIA!

Where is the play set? Deep South, New England, 'Wild' West, California? The location will help with ideas. Deep South, migh use deviled eggs. New England, a single poached shrimp. 'Wild' West maybe a single riblet. Give us some clues, please!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

You could do a bunch of different tea sandwiches.. Curried chicken salad, Radish w\cream cheese and poppy seeds ect.. Blini's w\ smoked salmon and chive creme fraiche or tapanade or small dice ratatoille; mini cheese tartlets (my mom used to make the shells by rolling out white bread cutting rounds, brushing w\ melted butter and par baking in muffin tins IIRC) Vegetarian summer rolls, stuffed dates....

You can serve the sandwiches in a big bread container ("pain surprise") and shape the container like an apple for teacher, or a tea cup, or any object that would relate to the play.

http://www.cuisine-facile.com/recette.php?id=98

This is way easier to bake in a stock pot than doing the parchment collar thing. I use hot glue and whole spices to decorate mine. I've made a house and a tree. You can pack the inside with anything you want.

I am responsible for providing tastings after a show in our local theater which will be a comic tour-de-force about a teacher demanding proper manners from her students. I would like to provide different "tastings" which might reflect the subject matter. Apart from little cucumber sandwiches on crustless white bread I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and recipes. TIA!

I also should note that I will need to provide these tastings to a crowd of 120.

What a clever idea to make the bread as the vessel. I have done that in the past with soups and dips. I don't think I could be creative enough to form one in the shape of an apple - the play is about a teacher.

I'd second spaghetti or noodles, and soup too. My mother was instructed that a lady should always know how to eat jelly with a fork, should you go to a party and spoons were not available - don't ask me what kind of crazy etiquette lessons these were but could be entertaining all the same. And of course there is the pretty woman style of "training" escargot or lobster for comedy value. I have also seen people drink fingerbowls before as they would rather do this then ask what they are, of course etiquette would demand not pointing out such a faux pas....

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

mmm not taht you would serve lobster to 120 people though - sorry just saw that ... (also i should point out by jelly i mean Jello)

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man