• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunchin' with Lady Liberty trip (NJ/JC)

BeerGut

Yeah, yeah, I can find info about visiting the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island and then eating in NYC, but what about this side of the river? I need suggestions for places to eat lunch/dinner in and around Jersey City.

I have family in from California and I want to show them a nice day out in Jersey. There are 6 of us, including 2 teens (who will eat anything). Casual, but not pizza or dogs. Someplace we can sit and talk (although like I said there are teens so we're not lingering over the meal.) $20 or less per person. Help! (And thanks fellow-Gulleteers!)

Zeppelin Hall beer garden, during the day shouldn't be crazy. The full menu wasn't up when I went last October but what we had was tasty...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

last summer we went to the Brownstone Diner after our visit to Statue and Ellis Island.

It was good, diner food with HUGE portions and plenty of kid food. They also had full beverage service if you would care for a drink. Another advantage they had is they have their own parking lot. This place is very close to Liberty Island Park.

Brownstone Diner

Light Horse Tavern is a very good neighborhood joint in the Paulus Hook section of Jersey City, food better than you'd expect for the area and a killer beer menu (and a pretty decent wine list too). Very accessible by the Light Rail (as is Liberty State Park, and Zeppelin Hall for that matter -- so you can park once, then get around by Light Rail as needed).

Christopher