• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mastika/Mastiha

Chris Amirault

perhaps this is what sparked your interest. (if so, you already have this info.) if not, there is a sidebar in the current (aug/sept 2010) issue of saveur magazine--the greece issue-- (pg 70) describing mastiha.

...a traditional Greek liqueur flavored with mastic, the hardened resin of the mastic tree. Mastic is a little bit of wonder. Thanks to a combination of climate, soil, and careful cultivation, the Greek island of Chios is the only place in the world where the tree exudes its aromatic resin--hence mastic's Greek nickname, "tears of Chios."

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I've never seen the liqueur here in Vancouver but I have seen the actual mastic resin and a jam/paste made from mastic in the local Greek grocery stores. From those you could make some neat cocktail ingredients such as a mastic gomme syrup (use mastic instead of gum arabic) or a mastic tincture. I love the piney taste of mastic as well.

• 6 years later...

Just tried Roots Mastiha at a restaurant. Slightly sweet and syrupy, nose of eau de vie (primarily pear to me), fig-like finish. I enjoyed it. Since a bar got it in Boston, I assume it is available in stores, but I haven't seen it.

It was the only thing in a long list of amari that I hadn't had. I was expecting something brown, sweet and bitter, so this weird clear eau-like liqueur was unexpected. I don't often drink something like this after dinner, and it is too sweet before, but it was definitely interesting. I suspect it could make a nice sour. There are limited Mastika recipes in Kindred Cocktails. I'm not sure how Roots Mastiha differs for other Mastikas.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community