• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Billy Kwong restaurant in Sydney

Judging by how famous chef Kylie Kwong is in her native Australia (she's written a series of cookbooks and done a few TV series too, apart from owning the famed Billy Kwong restaurant), I am surprised that I can't seem to find any comprehensive reports of a dinner at Billy Kwong.

How Chinese is the food? Is it merely Chinese-inspired? Has anyone been, lately?

I might share with all of you a link to a profile of chef Kwong published in the Sydney Morning Herald.

And here is a nice set of photos of dishes, posted on Flickr, though they were taken back in 2007....

Edited by AlexForbes (log)

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

• 11 months later...

I went about a year and a half ago. It was good, although more homely than haute cuisine, which for the price, surprised me. The menu when I went was half Chinese influences, half South East Asian influenced. I think Jimmy Liks in Potts Point and China Doll in Wooloomooloo are better bets though.

James.

• 1 month later...

How Chinese is the food? Is it merely Chinese-inspired? Has anyone been, lately?

If its anything like her cookbook or TV show, then the consensus on egullet is that its not what would be called authentic Chinese food.