• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EatYourBooks.com: search your own cookbooks for recipes online

nickrey

• 1 month later...

I added Diana Henry's

155931 "Bird in the Hand"

and asked for

skinless boneless chicken

and got 0 results.

What am I doing wrong, please?

5 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I added Diana Henry's

and asked for

and got 0 results.

Scrolling through the recipes, I don’t see any that specify skinless boneless chicken as an ingredient so I’m not sure you are doing anything wrong. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I added Diana Henry's

and asked for

and got 0 results.

I searched the same book and got the same result.

If I put "chicken" in the search box instead, it came up with 122 recipes.

Simple answer is that the ingredient has been added as chicken, not "skinned boneless chicken."

If you ask for something that specific and it hasn't been indexed, you won't get any results.

eta. Looks like they're categorised as "whole chicken," "chicken thighs," "chicken livers," "chicken breasts," etc. Choose the cut you want and all recipes for that will pop up in the search.

Edited by nickrey
added search terms (log)
  • Thanks 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Ah, thanks @nickrey and @blue_dolphin, but it's specifically skinless, boneless that I'm interested in finding. Flipping through the cookbook, there are many "skinless boneless" recipes. I have two cookbooks about chicken sitting on my livingroom table, both with abysmal indeces.

This is, of course, my main issue with OTHER PEOPLE'S data categorizations. 🙄

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Ah, thanks @nickrey and @blue_dolphin, but it's specifically skinless, boneless that I'm interested in finding. Flipping through the cookbook, there are many "skinless boneless" recipes. I have two cookbooks about chicken sitting on my livingroom table, both with abysmal indeces.

This is, of course, my main issue with OTHER PEOPLE'S data categorizations. 🙄

EYB is NOT for you!

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

EYB is NOT for you!

Agreed. Nor most cookbook/indexes. May I suggest a google search, which will give sufficient specificities if put in quotation marks. 

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

12 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

EYB is NOT for you!

Clearly, what Eat Your Books need is a full text search. 😡

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Clearly, what Eat Your Books need is a full text search. 😡

No, that’s what YOU need, seeking a degree of granularity that goes well beyond what EYB was set up for - as you say, you don’t want an index (what EYB is) but a full text search. 
 I think most of users are accustomed to looking up recipes in conventional cookbook indexes and are happy to be able to do that in one go, across all of our books, magazines and websites at once. 
I adore EYB and use it every day but it's not the tool for the precision you need in searching for recipes. 

Have you looked at ckbk?  It’s limited to the the books in their library (which have relatively little overlap with my own) and the search functions are rudimentary compared to EYB, but it does contain the full text of the recipes so you can certainly search on “boneless skinless” if that’s your key criteria for choosing a recipe.   Of course, that will give you a different set of results as searching for “boned skinned” but that’s the price of a full text word search. 

• Like 1