• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doritos Cheeseburger...

Tri2Cook

I knew better. I almost never eat snack chips, "gourmet" or typical convenience store brands. So what made me decide to taste a Doritos Cheeseburger chip when a co-worker had them at work today, I have no clue. He said he picked them up on the way to work out of curiosity so I guess I'll blame curiosity too though stupidity seems more accurate in hindsight. I definitely paid the price for that slip in judgement. It was by far the most disgusting thing disguised as a snack chip I have ever had the misfortune of tasting. It tasted like a beef bouillon cube dipped in onion powder. That this one got a thumbs up from the test markets kinda scares me.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

They actually released it as a mystery flavor, in stores, without telling anyone what it was. It pretty much tastes like a McDonalds cheeseburger on a chip (you can decide for yourself whether that is praise or insult). So, the public actually approved.

Also, Doritos have enough MSG in them that if you eat enough, they start to taste good, no matter what flavor they are...

-Rick

P.S. The second mystery flavor was Mt. Dew.... It was 10 times worse than cheezeburger.

That makes a little more sense except a mcdonald's cheeseburger tastes like fine dining next to those chips. They taste exactly like what I said, beef bouillon cube and onion powder.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm beginning to think the chip I tasted was something completely different that accidently fell into a Doritos bag. I'm not a fan of McDonalds food but the worst burger I've ever had from a McD's was far better than that chip. The word cheeseburger never crossed my palate or mind after tasting that thing. Dusting a cheese Dorito with beef bouillon and onion powder doesn't come together as cheeseburger on my tongue I guess. Kinda glad to hear they taste like a cheeseburger (even if it's a bad one) for some folks because I was literally almost sick from the taste left in my mouth... but apparently it's me and not the chips.

Actually, the more precise description to me was not that it tasted like I was eating a MacDonald's cheeseburger, but more like it had that taste you have in your mouth a while after you've eaten a MacDonald's cheeseburger.

• 3 weeks later...