• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Flour

DanM

I found Peanut Flour at Trader Joes today. This is a totally new and inspiring product for me. It packs a great nutritional punch. Per 1/4c, it has 16g of protein, 25% Niacin, 65% Folate, 60% Phosphorus, and 80% Magnesium RDA, but only 4g of fat.

Now the big question... what to do with it! The package states that it is good for pastries, thickener for soups, breading for meats, and for teaching your kids algebra (just kidding on that last one). I was thinking about making PB&J smoothies or milkshakes and add it to peanut butter cookies. Any thoughts on what I can use it in?

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I have never seen that, but my mind is already churning. First thing I thought was Thai. You could put that, chile powder, and coconut powder on a protein and pan fry. Top with a lime sugar and it would be awesome. (I think).

Peanut straws, like cheese straws, to dip in chocolate fondue?

I made a wonderful smoothie this morning using the peanut flour. I used a mix of (by weight) 6oz of frozen berries, 4 oz soy milk, 4 oz OJ, 4 oz yogurt, 3tbsp of peanut flour, and 1 wheatabix biscuit. It have the smoothie a wonderful PB&J flavor. I need to experiment with blending it longer as it is a bit grainy.

I was also thinking about profiteroles with chocolate filling and a dusting of peanut flour.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I found Peanut Flour at Trader Joes today. This is a totally new and inspiring product for me. It packs a great nutritional punch. Per 1/4c, it has 16g of protein, 25% Niacin, 65% Folate, 60% Phosphorus, and 80% Magnesium RDA, but only 4g of fat.

So, I'm guessing this might be made from the residue after pressing for oil? (Peanuts being something like 40% oil.)

Nice idea if so.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

This might make an interesting ingredient in bread, as long as you don't use so much that the structural integrity of the gluten is affected. I'd take a basic bread formula, one that just uses water, yeast, salt and bread four and replace about 10% of the flour with the peanut flour.

You might try looking at some of the recipes developed by the "Peanut Master," George Washington Carver, back in the early 20th century.

George Washington Carver's Panut Recipes

I have tried several of the recipes, including a couple of the peanut soups and several of the breads and cakes (excellent use of your peanut flour)

When my kids were little I made the peanut cream cheese with pimento, which they loved. (near the bottom of the page.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett