• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Musts!

Conor

I am finally making it over to the West Coast having visited the East Side a few times, and cannot wait.

I'm a F&B guy for a 5* hotel gorup in London, and am visiting San Fran, Santa Rosa, Monterey and LA, (part work, part holiday) in August.

I'm sorry if I am repeating other previous posts, but what I am looking for is some tips of places to visit that have a buzz about them, where locals eat. We don't necessarily want to sit at fine dining tables eating modern french cuisine, we'd much prefer to eat a great breakfast spot or a mexican in LA, or a super steak or seafood in San Fran for example.

So I am aksing for some rec's of places you feel I shouldn't miss, places with atmosphere and style, from all cuisines, for all meal times, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thanks for any suggestions you've got!

Conor

If you want breakfast in LA, you must head over to the Griddle Cafe. For less than $10, you get a stack of 3 flapjacks so huge that they fall off the gigantic plates. In fact, my waiter told me that only one person manages to finish the whole stack every couple months. And, even though the pancakes are so large, they're incredibly fluffy and flavorful, overloaded with tons of toppings.

For Mexican in LA, I'd recommend Border Grill for something on the innovative side. It's not traditional Mexican, but it uses traditional ingredients to make some really unique dishes. For something dingier, but by far the most classic LA Mexican experience, try El Tepeyac, where they serve the burrito of Los Angeles, a monster that weighs in at 5 lbs and has to be served with a spatula.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

http://www.thefoodbuster.com

If he wants to experience Mexican food, he should definitely do it in Los Angeles and not Northern California and to get it with a slightly California twist, I agree that Border Grill is a safe bet. Much is made of the Mission Burrito in San Francisco, but ever since moving to NoCal from SoCal, I have found Mexican food wanting. I have to say that I hardly think of a "super steak" as destination cuisine in San Francisco; this city is far more interested in the combination of über-fresh ingredients with most of the steakhouses in town frequented by tourists moreso than locals.

Here are my takes for you, Conor.

San Francisco

~Dinner~

Aziza - Not like any other restaurant in America; Moroccan cuisine taken to a haute/California level.

Nombe - My current go-to restaurant for Japanese izakaya with a fresh, California influence.

Frances - If you are there right when they open, you can sit at the bar. Otherwise reservations are almost impossible.

Baker & Banker - Classic upscale California cuisine in an intimate setting.

Ame, Bar Crudo or Swell - I'll be posting a Swell review later but both all three are very similar with their innovative crudo and cooked fish offerings. Ame also is a bit more upscale with a full tasting menu and other mammal-based proteins.

~Breakfast~

The Ferry Plaza - Go on Saturday morning for breakfast and the scene (California's version of Borough Market only we have fruits and vegetables and you have cheese). You can sit and have oysters at Hog Island but I'm a fan of the okonomiyaki way out in the back.

Dottie's True Blue Cafe - Only seats 12 people at a time and worth the long line.

Brenda's Soul Food - Spicy, Cajun/French breakfast. Another line worth waiting in.

Monterey

~Dinner~

Passion Fish - No other recommendation needed. Best restaurant in the city and a great seafood selection

Santa Rosa - Of all the wine country cities, Santa Rosa is the least popular with better restaurants available in nearby Healdsburg or further a-field, Napa or Sonoma. Are you tied to Santa Rosa? The best restaurants there are Scopa and Zazu, but I haven't been in years. Here are nearby suggestions:

Bovola in Healdsburg for lunch

Farmhouse Inn in Forestville

Barn Diva in Healdsburg

Solbar in Calistoga

... and practically any restaurant in Napa ...

Los Angeles - I am actually driving down this weekend and one of my stops I'll be reporting on is Nickel Diner, which is getting great reviews for breakfast and lunch.

The Bazaar - Jose Andres molecular extravaganza.

Providence - One of the consistently best restaurants in the city.

Jar - Haven't been yet, but getting lots of good buzz.

Recently, there has been lots of openings in SF. 2 really high profile places are Wayfare Tavern (by Tyler Florence) and Prospect (by Nancy Oaks). I haven't been but there has been some great reviews. Other new(ish) places with buzz: Frances, Thermidor, Cafe Des Amis, Morimoto Napa, Zero Zero, Marlowe, Mission Chinese Food, Skool, American Grilled Cheese Kitchen, Pica Pica Maize Kitchen, Another Monkey, Spice Kit, Unwind on Union, Lafitte, Sons & Daughters, 54 Mint....

Depending on when you'll get here, Benu (by French Laundry chef de cuisine Corey Lee) will be opening soon. For now, the opening date is August 10th.

If you're here on a Friday, check out Off the Grid over at Fort Mason in the evening. It's a gathering of some really great street food vendors. It just started recently and it's been growing weekly. You'll find some wonderful traditional food (the Alambre tacos from El Huarache Loco is not to be missed) and fusion food.

If you're here at the last weekend of August, the East Real Festival is happening.

Some favorite casual places in SF:

*Il Cane Rosso - if you're visiting the Ferry Building, stop by here for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

*Outerlands - it's in the midst of a residential area. Brunch items are great and it's a locals joint.

*Ike's Place - this is the place in SF to get a sandwich. You will have to wait in line and then wait some more to gt your sandwich, but it's worth it.

*Kappou Gomi - authentic Japanese. The salmon hot pot w/ miso butter broth is divine. When you're done with the salmon and fixings, order some ramen to be cooked in that broth. Dinner only.

*Arizmendi Bakery - it's close by Golden Gate Park. For breakfast, the cheese roll is my favorite. For lunch, get some pizza.

*Art's Cafe - also by Golden Gate Park. This is the local's favorite hole-in-the-wall diner. The hashbrown sandwich is their specialty. Breakfast/lunch.

*Swan Oyster Depot - it's somewhat an institution in SF. It's a small place where you just grab a seat at the counter and stuff yourself silly with oysters and whatever seafood is fresh that day.

*Shin Toe Bul Yi - Korean

Some favorite higher end restaurants:

Coi (Californian), Quince (Italian), La Mar (Seafood, Peruvian), Boulevard (American), Kokkari Estiatorio (Greek), Bushi-Tei (Japanese-French), Dining Room at the Ritz (French - great tasting menu).

I'm sure there are more, but that's what I have for now. Have a great time here!

It's a pretty wide brief, "California Musts" -- state has the area and population of a good-sized European country, and different things tend to be spread apart geographically.

But I second Carolyn's comments: 1. The best Mexican food is to be found in the state's Southern parts -- I'm from the Northern, and with notable scattered exceptions (often representing Mexican cuisines uncommon in US, from specific Mexican states) the standards of Mexican food are much weaker in the North. It's embarassing to admit occasionally having better Mexican food in Boston, much further from Mexico.

2. San Francisco is not exactly known for steak houses! That's a perennial minor discussion point online. Steaks are taken much more seriously around the Plains states, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, also Chicago where the US meat packing industry developed. Having traveled in those and other places I was enlightened. SF historically had certain specialties: Abalone, crabs, sourdough French-type bread. The abalone are all but fished out, but farmed ones can be found in better, creative restaurants. Local crab and its specialties are popular but seasonal. Sourdough bread is everywhere (though I wouldn't travel just for that) with a trend toward old-world-style artisanal bakeries, including and considerably popularized by Acme Bread Co. (1983) in Berkeley, a spin-off (and bread supplier) of the restaurant Chez Panisse there. Acme spurred several other firms and is publicly credited now with demonstrating the viability of small quality bread bakers.

The Michelin Guide began reviewing SF in 2006, LA in 2007, and (excepting the latest-hippest up-to-the-minute fashionable venues that obsess some online food-forum readers, especially young ones) it gives a decent compact panorama of the more unique and creative restaurants -- a source of orientation for the serious gastronomic visitor seeking background information from consistent and experienced perspective. I've done a lot of food-related travel, and it has the kind of information I've found useful elsewhere. The opposite extreme would be vox-populi polling-type sources like Zagat and the online site Yelp. The latter appeals to youngish diners, the kind that text constantly on their cell phones and are full of opinions on everything; they fiercely defend that site, but as a relatively experienced local I've found so much sheer misinformation, narcissistic blather, outright factual error, and unrepresentative comments about places I know well (and for full flavor, the site is embroiled in lawsuits from restaurants claiming offers to tailor the "reviews" in exchange for advertising buys) that I'd steer the serious professional as far away from it as possible.

Los Angeles is well known for the quality and variety of ethnic cuisine. I am sure I am missing a lot of places and The San Gabriel Valley is also well known for Chinese, Vietnamese can also be found in Orange County. Most of the places I've chosen are centrally located or in West Los Angeles (where I know best).

Thai:

Jitlada: Pretty well known in the foodie community. Spicy. Southern Thai focus. Google them, one of the top Thai places in the USA.

Palms Thai: Home of the famous thai elvis! lol the food is really good to, busy place. Not as 'serious' as Jitlada, but honest food.

Ord noodles: Great noodles. Cheap and tasty.

Korean:

Parks BBQ for High end Korean bbq and their sister restaurant Don Dae Gam BBQ a pork intensive place.

http://www.parksbbq.com/

A-Won: for Korean style sushi

Da-Rae: great late night eats.

Mexican:

Monte Alban: Traditional food from Oaxaca in west Los Angeles

Guelagetza: Also from Oaxaca in Korea town

Tacomiendo: Great tacos, home made tortilla.

Loteria: http://www.loteriagrill.com/ I like their chilaquiles verdes.. but they have good aguas frescas, tacos ect..

Japanese:

Izakaya's: Honda-ya in Downtown; Fu Rai Bo on sawtelle

Sushi: Mori sushi, Kiriko, Sushi Zo

Noodles: Just check out Rameniac's blog http://www.rameniac.com/index/

Cali Cuisine LA style:

Gjelina: http://www.gjelina.com/

The Tasting Kitchen: http://thetastingkitchen.com/

Akasha: http://www.akasharestaurant.com/

Palate Food + Wine: http://www.palatefoodwine.com/

Breakfast/Coffee:

The Rose Cafe and Market. http://www.rosecafe.com/About-Home.html

Bread and Porridge: http://www.breadandporridge.com/welcome%20to%20bread%20&%20porridge.htm

Huckleberry Cafe and Bakery: http://www.huckleberrycafe.com/

The conservatory for coffee and tea: http://www.conservatorycoffeeandtea.com/ (Culver City)

Groundworks: http://lacoffee.com/ (SM/ Hollywood/Downtown)

LaMill: http://lamillcoffee.com/ (Silverlake)

Luxxe: http://www.caffeluxxe.com/ (Santa Monica/Brentwood)

Edited by AAQuesada (log)

There's a lot of miles between Monterey and LA so try to see Paso Robles by taking the Hwy 1 route south from Monterey and go east on Hwy 46 to Paso. Couple of spots for lunch or dinner, Artisan or Thomas Hill Organics. Stop in on We Olive for some fresh Cali EVOO. Plenty of small wineries to visit as well. Templeton (south of Paso) has McPhees for dinner or if you travel down Hwy 1 to Morro Bay there's Taco Temple. Whatever the choices don't miss Paso. If you're so inclined pm me for a tour of our olive farm.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

WOW!

Thanks for the feedback, that's much more than I expected!!

Some of the nemes have been of places I knew already,so that is a good sign, but lots of others have given me a whole lot of research to do.

To follow up one or two questions, we arrive on the 7th in San Fran, then go on fromn there getting to LA a week later.

We are driving from Monterey down Hwy 1, so may well pop by to look aty the olive farm. Out of interest, we are allowing 6 hrs for a daytime Thursday drive from Monterey to central LA. IS that realistic?

We are driving from Monterey down Hwy 1, so may well pop by to look aty the olive farm. Out of interest, we are allowing 6 hrs for a daytime Thursday drive from Monterey to central LA. IS that realistic?

Ironically, I am doing that very drive this weekend. I left San Francisco on Friday and will be driving back on Monday.

Six hours is a realistic drive if you you don't want to stop anywhere except for gas and to stretch your legs -- oh yes, and if you take the 5 Freeway. I drove down on Highway 5, left San Jose at 9:00 a.m. and pulled into Los Angeles at 4:00 (the last hour was VERY trafficky). That was mostly going 70+ and only stopping once to gas-up, not to sit and eat anywhere.

If you are sticking to Highway 1, the drive will take 8 to 9 hours. It is VERY windy out of Monterey until you get to Cambria. From there it straightens out a bit but just getting from Monterey to Cambria can take 3 to 4 hours, depending on how many other slower cars you get behind. I will doing that drive going back up as I am hoping to stop at Nepenthe for lunch and will report on exactly how long it takes, but am planning on the aforementioned 8 or 9 hours.

If you are sticking to Highway 1, the drive will take 8 to 9 hours. It is VERY windy out of Monterey until you get to Cambria. From there it straightens out a bit but just getting from Monterey to Cambria can take 3 to 4 hours, depending on how many other slower cars you get behind. I will doing that drive going back up as I am hoping to stop at Nepenthe for lunch and will report on exactly how long it takes, but am planning on the aforementioned 8 or 9 hours.

To clarify, windy as in curvy (although it can be gusty too). The stretch from Monterey to Cambria is also absolutely stunning, and not to be missed if you can rearrange your itinerary to allow for the added time.

It's been years.. but I drove 14 hours from San Fran to San Diego taking the 1 from Monterey to L.A. maybe we took 10-12 hours on the drive. It is absolutely incredibly beautiful drive. Just make sure you wear your depends if you're driving, those are some scary cliffs!

Love fresh olive oil, what varieties do you grow?

Two varietals, Arbequina a great Spanish fruit that does extremely in Cali and Lucca, a clone developed by UC Davis from Frantoio, to be frost and drought resistant, wonderful in this area. We do 100% varietal bottling.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Conrad

Sound like a great holiday.

I saw a program on the telly when Ainsley Harriot went to the West Side and had a lovely time cooking all sorts of interesting food like Cajun pork chops and Italian Bang Bang steak. Just delicious outside and you know that he has a great buzz about him so you can imagine what the buzz was like in the places he went to. Perhaps you can keep an eye out for it on BBC4?

Anyway, I have to be honest, I have not been there so I can't offer much help. I do know that a lot of the great coffee shops over here come from the US so you might like to try Starbucks (as in Battlestar Galactica).

Have a great time

TLP

Anyway, I have to be honest, I have not been there so I can't offer much help. I do know that a lot of the great coffee shops over here come from the US so you might like to try Starbucks (as in Battlestar Galactica).

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Please, Lady Pleaser, say that you are being facetious in recommending Starbucks.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Please, Lady Pleaser, say that you are being facetious in recommending Starbucks.

ROFLMAO!!

You should at least upgrade to petes in the Bay Area. But seriously San Francisco is home to Blue Bottle Coffee, some of the best coffee in California

http://www.bluebottlecoffee.net/locations/webster-st/

... But seriously San Francisco is home to Blue Bottle Coffee, some of the best coffee in California

Other local roasters (all with their passionate partisans) also contend for such a label.

But even deeper, to the OP's mission, numerous independent coffee houses (some of which do their own roasting) are a deep tradition in places like SF and Berkeley (where espresso has been the leading drug of choice for university students literally for generations, certainly I've seen it in that role nearly 50 years, having been taken to favorite espresso bars by parents when quite young). By the time Kenneth Davids (who owned one of those cafés) wrote his classic book Coffee in the 1970s, this was an old established tradition locally. (That was around the time, too, that Mr Peet sold his notably dark-roasting neighborhood coffee bean business, and it went corporate.)

Such history underlies the horror (and occasional misunderstanding) by locals at the Starbuck's chain success (which seemed, to SF and Berlekey coffee fans, like a step downward in quality, with no corresponding drop in price) -- misunderstood in the sense that most of the US lacked a local espresso tradition and consequently Starbuck's was a big improvement in many places.

I neglected to mention the 'other' choice and my favorite for korean BBQ is Soot bull Jeep, which is pretty much the oppisite of Parks.. it's louder, smokier- you will leave smelling like smoke, service will make you feel like you are in Korea. But the food is really good, nice selection of Panchan and the place really feel alive.

Parks is more of an upscale experience, better service - more hand holding if you need it, higher end meats.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in LA wed-friday, and eat out always. Caveat-- I eat in the Beverly Hills/West Holy wood area, because that's where I stay. ;)

My top three (from most to least expensive)

Bazaar in SLS

Mozza Osteria (Mario Batali)

Sunsan Feniger's Street

Also ran's (damn good)

Gonpachi (unearthy Edamame, and I usually skip it)

Comme Ca (great bistro food)

AOC (tapas modern)

Maestro's steakhouse

STK

Bouchon (strangely better than the ones in Las Vegas and Yountville. )

My so-so list

I've eaten at Jar, and been disappointed. Lucque's is going down hill I think. Bistro LQ's food is ok, but their cheese platter rivals any in France. If you are feeling homesick for Paris, go.

To Do List

XVI

Red O

Katsuya (tonight)

The drive form SF to LA is awesome. Stop at Nepenthe and have their homemade soup with bread.

In Monterey area eat at Fifi's, in Pacific Grove. Stay at Asilomar.

Edited by et alors (log)

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit