• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SF] flour + water

vice

Would anyone who has been care to share their opinions? I'm going to be in San Francisco this Sunday and need to grab a drink and a few small plates before meeting friends later in the evening. The options that meet those requirements are near endless, but flour + water has crossed my radar a few times so I thought it might be worth checking out. If that's not the case, any suggestions for an alternative? Neighborhood doesn't particularly matter, but similar menu/aesthetic would be great. Thanks.

eta: proper punctuation

Edited by vice (log)

I like flour+water...I think it captures the essence of the new restaurants opening up in the city (quality as well as look & feel wise).

If the pig trotter cakes are on the menu, be sure to order them. Oh, and make sure to try a pizza with an egg on it...there's really nothing quite like it.

Some people think it's overrated, and when it first opened in a sense it was just because it generated more hype than was deserved. I think their pizzas are better than A16, but slightly inferior to Pizzetta 211. However, I think the overall atmosphere is better than both so it's tops in my book.

After you're done, walk a couple minutes west on 20th to Shotwells for a drink.

Carolyn, care to chime in :wink:?

Thanks therippa,

I appreciate the menu suggestions. In my book, anything with an egg on top can't be a bad move. Shotwells is new to me, but I'll be in the neighborhood so I'll try to fit it in.

Ah, I always digest Carolyn's reviews with much gusto, despite the fact that I make it up to the city far less often than I should. I'd love it if she checked in.

Sorry - I haven't been. It is one of those destination restaurants for me; meaning, I have to make a point of getting that far out into SoMa which I rarely bother with. There isn't much else around there of note and it is simply a neighborhood that is off-radar.

I am a person that walks this city so many of the restaurants I have been to are those I have walked to. Only rarely does one pique my interest to the extent that I'll consider a cab and while F&W has gotten decent reviews, the prices on the menu haven't deemed it taxi-worthy for me yet. When I'm ready to spend that kind of money, it is usually because I want something Extra Special and their menu is a bit too reminiscent of SPQR, Delfina, and Perbacco - all which I can walk to.

I'm sure I'll end up there eventually, but it will be when one of my friends with cars decides to bring me along.