• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MasterChef US on Fox

weinoo

I agree, the first two episodes were outliers. I think they tried to fit too much in. But it got better as it went along. You just have to a develop a mental filter for Fox's penchant for the over dramatic. Having watched Kitchen Nightmares on Fox, I had a head start.

Perhaps the three chefs should explain the concept of 'less is more' to the Fox producers.

• 9 months later...

As a follow up, I'm now 6 episodes in and this show has morphed into one of the more food-centered food-reality tv shows. The challenges are specific themes, and the cooking conditions and ingredients so far have not been messed with. I recomend giving it another chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually caught up with this on 'On Demand' and was surprised that it is pretty solid. Yes, the first three episodes have a lot of melodrama with contestant backstories, but, once you get to competition episodes, it's a decent show. (see, I don't rag on everything on tv!) I really like the elimination challenges because they have focused on real basic skills, not some made-up silliness, and are not showcases for a sponsor's product.

There's that one guy, the travel writer from Texas, who redefines "emote." I am losing respect for Gordon Ramsay in that he has yet to slam him against the wall and slap any and all expressions off the guy's face.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

What a great ending that would be! I think guy in silly hat really got kicked off the show a while back, but the producers made them keep him around. I'm pretty sure there was a challenge where they did not show his food being tasted.

Glad they did not give anyone slack about not having brussle sprouts in their cole-slaw in the last episode, that was a silly ingredient.

• 1 year later...

Anyone watching this season's shows?

I can't believe that the guest judges last night were Guy Savoy, Daniel Boulud and Alain Ducasse. I think somebody at Fox must have something on the three of them in order to get them to appear on this show.

And then the idiot contestants didn't give every judge's serving the same plating...some were actually missing ingredients! Inconceivable! [/Vizzini]

I think Christine will win in the end. She has an amazing talent for flavor and for plating, if you can believe that (she's legally blind).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

"------I think Christine will win in the end. She has an amazing talent for flavor and for plating, if you can believe that (she's legally blind).---"

I don't know the definition of legally blind, but she seemed to be able to see very well from on top of the balcony to what was going on down on the kitchen floor.

dcarch

"------I think Christine will win in the end. She has an amazing talent for flavor and for plating, if you can believe that (she's legally blind).---"

I don't know the definition of legally blind, but she seemed to be able to see very well from on top of the balcony to what was going on down on the kitchen floor.

dcarch

As I watched it, she was getting a running commentary from Becky, the other female finalist, and that is what she was reacting to. I, for one, hope she wins. And I absolutely do NOT think she is faking it.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

In the first season one of the contestants kept a journal. She then posted the entries for each challenge the day after they aired. It was really interesting. Inbetween challenges, the contestants were put through workshops teaching them the techniques that home cooks might not have. For instance, they'd be taught how to trim and filet fish the week before a seafood challenge. They were also taught plating, if I recall correctly. The workshops were often led by one of the three judges.

I don't know if they still do that because it's never mentioned on air, but I hope they do. This has become my favorite food-oriented show.

As I watched it, she was getting a running commentary from Becky, the other female finalist, and that is what she was reacting to. I, for one, hope she wins. And I absolutely do NOT think she is faking it.

I agree about the running commentary keeping her abreast of what's happening down below.

And when Becky and Christine paired up on this week's challenge, Becky was basically leading Christine through the show pantry picking out ingredients, getting her feedback, and so on.

I know Christine has an non-contestant assistant who helps her get around in the show kitchen because of her lack of sight. I'm assuming the assistant didn't do any of the plating of last week's tuna dish and that it was all Christine's doing which makes it all the more remarkable since the judge's said her plating looked the same as the original plated dish.

In the first season one of the contestants kept a journal. She then posted the entries for each challenge the day after they aired. It was really interesting. Inbetween challenges, the contestants were put through workshops teaching them the techniques that home cooks might not have. For instance, they'd be taught how to trim and filet fish the week before a seafood challenge. They were also taught plating, if I recall correctly. The workshops were often led by one of the three judges.

I don't know if they still do that because it's never mentioned on air, but I hope they do. This has become my favorite food-oriented show.

I think that's pretty cool, too. If someone asked me to whip up three different soufflés, I'd be completely lost. I'd need lots of instruction.

I'm amazed that Josh and Frank were able to do it.

Tim Oliver

I agree about the running commentary keeping her abreast of what's happening down below.

And when Becky and Christine paired up on this week's challenge, Becky was basically leading Christine through the show pantry picking out ingredients, getting her feedback, and so on.

I know Christine has an non-contestant assistant who helps her get around in the show kitchen because of her lack of sight. I'm assuming the assistant didn't do any of the plating of last week's tuna dish and that it was all Christine's doing which makes it all the more remarkable since the judge's said her plating looked the same as the original plated dish.

I also remember hearing, the first episode out after the finalists had been chosen, that the assistant was not allowed to cook or plate. She could help Christine find things, and point them out on the board, but essentially could not touch the food in any prep, cooking or plating.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

In one of the episodes, they did talk to Christine about what she could see. She's not completely blind in that everything is black. She can see shapes, shadows, light, and dark. It's still amazing how well she cooks and plates. I was very interested in this part because legally blind starts, I believe, at 20/400 non-correctable vision. My vision is 20/400 in one eye and 20/200 in the other, but I'm lucky in that it's correctable with glasses.

Do you happen to remember who and where this is posted? I would be interested to read this.

That's really interesting. I was wondering in season 1 how everyone just dove into the Eggs Benedict challenge and made the Hollandaise fairly quickly -when I've had so many issues training employees to make it so that it stays together.

• 2 weeks later...

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!...Christine.

Though I wasn't sure if she was going to win during the final judging. The judges kept asking her "This is the final cookoff of MasterChef and this simple dish is your entry? What are you thinking?"

Josh did push the envelope with his cooking but it ended up being quite the mixed bag in the end. He did a great appetizer...but the lobster was undercooked. Great pecan pie for dessert...but the added twist of bacon in the crust ended up making the dough soggy from the extra fat....and so on.

I know Christine gets prize money for winning. Does she also get a job in one of Ramsey's kitchen? And if so, will she also have an assistant like she did on the show?

Tim Oliver

And where can I buy Christine's book.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Do you happen to remember who and where this is posted? I would be interested to read this.

Sorry, I just saw this question. I just deleted it from Google reader a few weeks ago since it's been inactive for a while. I don't remember her name, but it was the woman from India in the first season.

• 8 months later...

And so it's back for another season.

I've wondered about this - if as home cooks they're supposed to already know "everything," or if they're given some instructive help. This makes sense to me.

Anyone else watching?

Any early favorites?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 4 months later...