• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kishke or Kishka Anyone?

howard88

I have been thinking about days passed when I could order kishke at a kosher style restaurant or simply purchase it at a kosher style deli and take it home to reheat. Is there anyone out there who knows where to buy some good kishka in the essex, morris county n.j. area. OR how about a good recipe!

Kishke means intestine. A similar stuffing was often used in the necks of poultry. Then it's called "helzl", the diminutive of the yiddish word for neck or throat "halz". The stuffing can be made with beef fat or chicken. Here is an old recipe. I hope you like it.

Stuffed Hezl

Stuffing:

1 neck (chicken, goose, or turkey)

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup matzoh meal

dash of pepper

1/4 cup raw chicken fat cut into small pieces

1 heaping teaspoon salt

1 medium sized onion minc

Sauce:

Chop:

1 medium onion

1/2 green pepper

1 stalk celery

1 cup water

1/2 cup tomato juice

Clean neck thoroughly. Mix fat, onion, flour, matzoh meal, salt, pepper. Stuff neck.

Close by sewing. Combine sliced vegetables with water in heavy pot. Afdd stuffed neck an simmer until skin of neck is tender. Brown in oven.

Pardon my ignorance (Goyim alert!) but is kishka necessarily a kosher thing? I have been eating it all my life and usually get it at any decent Polish or Ukrainian :biggrin: butcher.

Try Pulaski in Linden on Wood ave, or Bratek's around the corner from them. If you are in the city you can get better at Baczynsky on 2nd ave. Hope this helps.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Having been subjected to kishka at every family "affair" throughout my childhood, you'd think I'd hate the stuff. Oh, the memories of never-ending heartburn! :shock: But thank you for the recipe! If I do make it, though, I'll probably make it spicier with a lot of black pepper, as I remember it from my Uncle Freddy's delicatessen. And wrap it in cheesecloth to bake with brisket. (My husband has fond memories of it getting it at Jack and Marian's in Brookline, MA, with gravy from all the other meats slopped over it.)

Taboni -- it's probably just an Eastern European poor-peoples' dish, not necessarily Jewish. How does the Polish version differ from this recipe?

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

For this very serious question, I resorted to my father's best friend, a Holocaust survivor who comes from the same town in Poland that my father came from. He used to make such good kishka that my father tried to arrange with the Long Island Rabbinical Counsel to sell it in his kosher butcher shop. It never happened because they were a bunch of goniffs. But here is his response. And it's amazing that these days Holocaust survivors have email!

first of all you need the the intestines for the outer stuffing, corn flakes, grated carrots a little flour and the beef fat and an egg, stir all ingredients together and stuff and boil in a large pot and keep on piercing they fat should come out, and whala you have dellicious KISHKA

Now that piercing the intestines is pretty amazing technique if you ask me.

There's a recipe for Kishka on pp16 of Molly O'Neill's "New York Cookbook". I haven't tried it but it sounds like the stuff I remember and love. The contributor's name being Boris only adds authenticity.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Pardon my ignorance (Goyim alert!) but is kishka necessarily a kosher thing? I have been eating it all my life and usually get it at any decent Polish or Ukrainian :biggrin: butcher.

Many of the dishes that are considered traditional Jewish fare are foods that were common in the region where those Jews were living (which explains why you get kishke served in Jewish homes and Polish restaurants). This is why the Ashkenazi Jews have different traditional foods than Sephardic Jews—they had different regional influences and a different selection of readily available ingredients (amongst other things).

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

• 2 weeks later...

FLASH -- KISHKA AND HAGGIS ARE COUSINS!!

Looking for a definition of "latka," I came upon a recipe for kishka that includes oatmeal, flour, chicken fat, minced onion, salt, pepper, and parsley. All blended together and stuffed into beef casings (not quite the stomach, but anatomically close), then boiled or baked.