• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A week in Frederick MD

nessa

So, I'll be in Frederick MD for a whole week, and I need dining options other than Volt. They have no available reservations that week, I'm sad to say.

So far I've gleaned the fourms for tidbits and want to try Tajitu, John Hagen's Tavern, and Isabella's.

I hear downtown is wonderful so I'll try to spend as much time there as I can, perusing shops and noshing.

So what's a Texas gal have to do in MD to catch some local flavor?

Edited by nessa (log)

I live 30min from Frederick and freelance as a food writer for the Frederick News-Post. The Frederick scene is growing but still nascent from a serious food lover's standpoint. Will you have a car? If so, the field expands somewhat.

Try to nab a lunch at Volt. If they don't have a res available, come for the lunch deal at the bar: three selections for I think $14, from a list that usually includes a cocktail, two wines, a beer, a few starter/side dishes, several sandwiches, and one or two desserts. Only available at the bar or lounge area.

You should hit the Tasting Room, also on Market Street in Frederick. They have this chowder that is really wonderful and filling enough for dinner with some bread. By the same chef, try Black Hog BBQ down the street a little ways.

If you have a car, get a reservation for dinner at Patowmack Farm in Lovettsville, VA, about a 20 minute drive from downtown. Most of the food served at the farm is grown there. Chef Chris Edwards worked at El Bulli with old-time eGer Louisa Chu. His food is wonderful.

Also, if you have a car, try to get to Sheppard Mansion in Hanover, PA--I think it's about a 40 minute drive from Frederick. Chef Andy Little's cuisine de terroir is muscular and whimsical all at once...classic and contemporary, and fully seated in Pennsylvania traditions.

Enjoy your travels!

Baltimore Coffee and Tea is pretty good. It's in a new strip behind the big shopping center at Westfields.

There's some really cool other food stuff happening in Frederick these days. Downtown, there's the new Lebherz Oil and Vinegar Emporium (LOVE) a few doors down from Volt. There's also Zoe's Chocolates on N Market--check out their Mediterranean flavors like pomegranate, lemon wall and baklava. Around the corner on Patrick St there's a new classic candy shop called Sweet Memories. If you get towards the Shab Row area, you must get some of Randy Olmstead's truffles from The Perfect Truffle--he really is a perfectionist and he produces chocolates that will satisfy both passionate chocoholics and people who just really like a good chocolate every now and then. These businesses join existing resources like the Firestone's gourmet foods shop, The Common Market with its outstanding cheese cooler, and Knifeworks for all your cutlery needs.

Acacia is owned by the same guy as owns Isabella's, Brewer's Alley and one or two other places in town. All are worth a visit.

>swoon< Oh Mal! Shopping!!! Oil and vinegar (check) Truffles (check) Cheese (check) Knives (check) I'm so in.

Thank you all for all of your suggestions and advice. I can now make the most of my time in lovely Frederick. I'll take pics!! Texas gal storms MD, news at 11~

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! What a whirlwind week! I managed to get downtown 2 times. Last Sunday I ate at Tajitu, and found it quite tasty and good. I had the veggie combo and was happy with most of the selections. The spicy dishes could have had a bit more kick to them, but all in all, I'd recommend them.

Monday night I grabbed a fast take out from Peking Gourmet. Bleh. Kung pao with so much super sweet sauce and more peanuts than a circus only a token green onion for veggies, but the shrimp and scallops were good after I wiped the sauce off. Super cloyingly sweet, in my opinion. I was tired and didn't feel like exploring. Tuesday I found the Mediterranean Grill and ordered the Lebanon plate, which was my choice of 6 mezze. I got some shrimp in tomato-garlic sauce, Tzaziki, hummus, falafel, dolmas and the olives/feta plate. Needless to say this was enough for one person for like 3 nights. So I found a liquor store and a couple bottles of wine, and enjoyed that for Tues-Thurs. Everything was really good, but the dolmas were mushy. The tzaziki was pretty stellar. The bread looked yummy and smelled good, I can't eat wheat anymore so I can't comment on its flavor.

Tonight I found the Black Boar BBQ and had the Arkansas beef and the Carolina pork. Arkansas beef was too sweet for my liking but the pork was pretty well flavored. Decent 'cue but nothing to write home about. I bought some promising looking coffee-chocolate bars at Zoe's, I'll report on them after I've partaken, sometime next week. I also found the Baltimore coffee place this morning and was quite happy with my 6 shot latte, and will visit them again tomorrow. I have no idea if I'll be here for lunch or on the road, but thanks for all the suggestions! I had a good time here in Frederick.