• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why don't they sell butterflied chickens?

Shalmanese

This seems like a pretty obvious missing niche in the market. While I have no problem butterflying my own chicken, many people are daunted by the process and pre-butterflied chickens would open up a range of new recipes to them.

PS: I am a guy.

Packaging issues spring to mind unless they are in the butcher case. Also unless the item is going to move, once you butterfly (spatchcok?) it is hard to re-purpose. It might take some in store demos to get the concept to the consumer. Certainly a great summer grilling item.

I am able to purchase a butterflied chicken from the butcher, and also from the fresh chicken counter at Whole Foods. Actually, the WF shop in my neighbourhood will cut up a whole chicken, to order, when I purchase a whole chicken. Even on sale. This is a real time saver when I'm roasting 4 or 5 chickens for a party, or making stock.

Karen Dar Woon