• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chord

chord

This scooper/strainer thing is my favorite.

IMG_4046.thumb.jpg.3975af158375c2c353db2fe4529fe4ef.jpg

I don't know who designed it, but that nameless individual was almost certainly a cook. The oval perforations work better than round ones. They let a lot of liquid through, but will stop even small bits of food like cooked Israeli couscous. (I don't know why you almost never see colanders with oval holes.) The tines on the edges work well for grabbing long pasta. And the tines also allow the strainer bowl to bend, so it can get into the corners of a saucepan and fish out the last remaining bits of food.

I use it to grab food from boiling water, to pull out the meat and vegetables after making stock, to remove the mini plastic balls from my sous vide set up, etc.

I've seen other scoopers that sell for $10-20, but I think this one is better designed than any of the ones I've seen at Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table, Crate and Barrel, etc. I paid something like $2.50 at a HomeGoods/Marshall's type store. I'd love to get a second one, but I've never seen another for sale anywhere.

ETA: I've looked for it online before and haven't had any luck, but after posting the above I searched Amazon and found it in red for $7: https://www.amazon.com/Home-X-Extra-Deep-Strainer-Straining-Vegetables/dp/B011CGR7Z6/

chord

chord

I don't know who designed it, but that nameless individual was almost certainly a cook. The oval perforations work better than round ones. They let a lot of liquid through, but will stop even small bits of food like cooked Israeli couscous. (I don't know why you almost never see colanders with oval holes.) The tines on the edges work well for grabbing long pasta. And the tines also allow the strainer bowl to bend, so it can get into the corners of a saucepan and fish out the last remaining bits of food.

I use it to grab food from boiling water, to pull out the meat and vegetables after making stock, to remove the mini plastic balls from my sous vide set up, etc.

I've seen other scoopers that sell for $10-20, but I think this one is better designed than any of the ones I've seen at Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table, Crate and Barrel, etc. I paid something like $2.50 at a HomeGoods/Marshall's type store. I'd love to get a second one, but I've never seen another for sale anywhere.

ETA: I've looked for it online before, and haven't had any luck, but after posting the above, I searched Amazon and found it in red for $7: https://www.amazon.com/Home-X-Extra-Deep-Strainer-Straining-Vegetables/dp/B011CGR7Z6/

chord

chord

ETA: I've looked for on online before, and haven't had any luck, but after posting the above, I searched Amazon and found it in red for $7: https://www.amazon.com/Home-X-Extra-Deep-Strainer-Straining-Vegetables/dp/B011CGR7Z6/

chord

chord

ETA: I've looked for on online before, and haven't had any luck, but after posting the above, I searched Amazon and found it for $7: https://www.amazon.com/Home-X-Extra-Deep-Strainer-Straining-Vegetables/dp/B011CGR7Z6/

chord

chord

chord

chord

I use it to grab food from boiling water, to pull out the meat and vegetables after making stock, to pull out the mini plastic balls from my sous vide set up, etc.

chord

chord

I don't know who designed it, but that nameless individual was almost certainly a cook. The oval perforations work better than round ones. They let a lot of liquid through, but will stop even small bits of food like cooked Israeli couscous. (I don't know why more colanders don't have oval holes.) The tines on the edges work well for grabbing long pasta. And the tines also allow the strainer bowl to bend, so it can get into the corners of a saucepan and fish out the last remaining bits of food.

I use it to grab food from boiling water, to pull out the meat and vegetables after making stock, to pull out the mini plastic balls from my sous vide set up, etc.