• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sonoma (or Napa?) Valley winery question

Smithy

My mother, sister and I are headed for the Sonoma Valley (or is it Napa?) this fall. My mother particularly wants to see a winery she and Dad visited a couple of decades ago. The thing she particularly remembers is that this winery gives tours and that their storage barrels were hand-carved so that the type of grape being fermented inside is depicted on the cask front: chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, and so on. Unfortunately, she doesn't remember the name of the winery.

I'm sure it's one of the older wineries, and with a bit of luck it hasn't changed names and changed hands. Still, it can be a long search trying to find the winery by this description. So I ask the cogniscenti of the Northern wine country: help, please! Anyone know which winery this is?

I DO know the difference between the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, by the way. I just don't know where they took their "wine country" tour although I suspect it was the Sonoma Valley.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I think there are a number of variations on that theme (casks carved with the varietal), but could it be Sebastiani?

Most notable is the famous hand-carved wine cask collection. Local winemaking scenes, various grape varietals and an array of birds have been chiseled into hundreds of antique redwood casks. They were carved by a friend of Samuele’s son, August, the second-generation family member to assume control of the winery.

Here's a link describing the location (from a wedding destination POV) that might help rule it in or rule it out.

sebastiani info

good luck with the search!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I'm sure Sebastiani is what you are thinking of as ChezCherie suggested. Those barrels were carved by Earle Browne and you see some of the images on this site.

Bacchus-Wine-Art.JPG

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)