• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popeyes

BarbaraY

They are messing with their menu, apparently.  They've permanently removed Cajun rice from their menu.  Luckily we have a nearby Bojangle's who have Dirty Rice, which is better than Popeye's rice.  I'll got to Popeye's for their superior chicken and Bo's for rice.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

They are messing with their menu, apparently.  They've permanently removed Cajun rice from their menu.  Luckily we have a nearby Bojangle's who have Dirty Rice, which is better than Popeye's rice.  I'll got to Popeye's for their superior chicken and Bo's for rice.

Kim, have you tried Popeye's Jambalaya? It's mostly rice, with some sausage and spices (not hot) & herbs.

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Our town just got a Popeye's. It' been the talk (ahh the burbs). The endless line (covid result no doubt) since opening 2mos ago, trails off to the main road causing a dangerous situation.  I haven't been yet but a friend braved the chaos and gifted us a couple of the famous chicken sandwiches that people trample each other for.  I've never had one before and I must say it was damn good.  From the qlty and seasoning of the breast, spicy mayo sauce and soft brioche like buttered bun, it was the best fast food chick sandwich I've ever had.  Gastro pub like even.  I get the insanity.

• Like 5

That wasn't chicken

Popeyes came up in conversation with a friend yesterday.  We were catching up on family happenings and I learned his brother-in-law is now a regional manager for the chain.  Item of greatest interest there was the Thanksgiving Turkey.  Apparently Thanksgiving Turkey sales are a huge thing for Popeyes.  One store in Maryland sold over 9,000 this year.  People drove hours to pick them up.  All the managers received one as well.  My friend reported that he would not spend $50 on one himself, but would be happy to join in consuming a free one!  So take that for what it's worth.

Anyone here ever experienced a Popeyes turkey?

• 4 weeks later...

@Kim Shook, this explains why the rice was taken off the menu at Popeye's:

"4 Major Menu Changes You’ll See at Popeyes"

...While we say goodbye to some beloved sides, we're also saying hello to a new sandwich with hype. Without further ado, here's what to expect the next time you order from Popeyes.

Kim, I hope you have been able to try the Jambalaya since they dropped the Dirty Rice. As a side that no other fast food joint is offering/serving, I like it.

I've tried their new fish sandwich and yes, it does look like the Chicken Sandwich.

The thing they didn't consider is that the fish in the sandwich is a lot more moist than the chicken in the Chicken Sandwich.

So if there's time to drive home before you can eat the Fish Sandwich, don't expect too much of a crunch. It's a nice fish sandwich, but crunchy it wasn't. I will stick with the Chicken Sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

@Kim Shook, this explains why the rice was taken off the menu at Popeye's:

"4 Major Menu Changes You’ll See at Popeyes"

Kim, I hope you have been able to try the Jambalaya since they dropped the Dirty Rice. As a side that no other fast food joint is offering/serving, I like it.

I've tried their new fish sandwich and yes, it does look like the Chicken Sandwich.

The thing they didn't consider is that the fish in the sandwich is a lot more moist than the chicken in the Chicken Sandwich.

So if there's time to drive home before you can eat the Fish Sandwich, don't expect too much of a crunch. It's a nice fish sandwich, but crunchy it wasn't. I will stick with the Chicken Sandwich.

No more dirty rice or jambalaya at mine.  Down to red beans & rice, coleslaw, cajun fries and mashed.  The chicken sandwich remains pretty good (and juicy).  Will try the fish at some pt but I really like tomato on mine and that doesn't look like an option.  

That wasn't chicken

• 2 months later...

Now this is interesting...

"Popeyes Just Released a New Chicken Sandwich"

This isn't a classic Chicken Sandwich Wars entrant because of one crucial difference—the chicken isn't breaded. Instead, the new Blackened Chicken Sandwich is a riff on the chain's popular Naked Tenders, which are a recurring limited-time offer on their menu.

The sandwich comes with a non-breaded white meat chicken filet, which has been rubbed in a proprietary blend of blackened seasoning and fried. Just like their classic chicken sandwich, this slightly healthier version comes on a toasted brioche bun with two barrel-cured pickles and mayo. Besides this Classic, the sandwich also comes in a Spicy version, where the mayo is swapped for Spicy Mayo.

The photo of the sandwich looks good. And what spices are in the rub? 

If anyone sees it at your local Popeye's, please take one for the team.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

"Popeyes Is Adding Sandwich-Inspired Chicken Nuggets to the Menu"

Debuting on July 27, Popeyes hopes these new Chicken Nuggets will be received with the same fervor as their chicken sandwich — and are openly tying the two products together. "Popeyes' Nuggets took the quality and flavors of our famous Chicken Sandwich and made it in poppable pieces," the company explains. Later, they specify that both the sandwich and the nuggets use the same recipe, which includes "a special flour and batter system to provide the perfect crispy texture." The nuggets are also "freshly prepared beginning to end in restaurant everyday," starting with chunks of white meat chicken breast that are hand-battered and breaded in buttermilk.

If the nuggets taste anything like their chicken sandwich, they will be quite successful.

(They will offer a 48 nuggets :o order only on their online menu).

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On 5/25/2021 at 3:04 PM, Toliver said:

Now this is interesting...

"Popeyes Just Released a New Chicken Sandwich"

The photo of the sandwich looks good. And what spices are in the rub? 

If anyone sees it at your local Popeye's, please take one for the team.

I'm not a fan of nekkid fast food chicken.  I'll let Mr. Kim try it and take a bite, maybe.